1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Game Schedule 2019-2022

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Green Bear

Green Bear Chieftain

Okay, thanks.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

sorry i am asking this quite late, but i am pretty far away from Civ at the moment and thought, i´d prepare the COTM157 tonight, as promised.

however, memory of how to do it right did not just jump in, as i had believed it would. ;)

i still have Piu´s description of how to set up a GOTM game, but does this...
    "This is a short instruction for creating a Play the World Game of the Month, especially for templar_x and Atishay Jain, who are creating upcoming GOTMs for summer. I write this from memory as I don't have an installation on this computer.
    First you need to download GOTM.zip and unzip the archive to extract GOTM.bix, which should be placed in the <installation directory>/PTW/Scenarios directory so that it is loadable from the PTW editor and the PTW game.
    ..."
    also apply to a COTM game? thus, do i also need a special COTM.biq, or just the normal conquests.biq?

if i do need a special COTM.biq, i cannot find it anymore, so i would really appreciate a link for dl!

i´ll try to set the game up tomorrow then.

thanks!
    t_x

Knightfall likes this.
  3. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

The next GOTM and COTM games will probably be a bit late, as I am currently moving house and I'm not sure how quickly I'll get my Internet connection back in the new place.

Knightfall likes this.
  4. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

Yes, you need either COTM.biq or COTM_A.biq to create the game. There are rule changes: Unit maintenance costs, The Great Wall etc.

COTM.biq has China, COTM_A.biq has Austria in its place.

Knightfall likes this.
  5. Più Freddo

Knightfall likes this.
  6. Più Freddo

Sorry, that's PTW. Here: Game Schedule 2018

Knightfall likes this.
  7. templar_x

great, thanks! i did not remember at all where i could find those files. i might be heading home in 30 minutes or so, will have a bit more work to do, and then i should be able to dl this and at least start on the COTM game. ;)
    t_x

Knightfall likes this.
  8. Più Freddo

Knightfall likes this.
  9. templar_x

I emailed the save to Alan a minute ago... ;)
    t_x

Knightfall likes this.
  10. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Back online using a temporary hub via 4G. I'll get the games up asap.

Più Freddo and Knightfall like this.
  11. templar_x

Has anyone else noticed, while working with the COTM.biq, that popping settlers from huts still seems to be possible? The game rules state, however, that workers instead of settlers will appear... didn´t seem so in my test games.
    t_x

12. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Warlord Supporter

I have had the same issue. It was infrequent, but during test games it did happen once or twice. I think the recommendation was to just accept it as something that might happen infrequently and can't be avoided. Maybe there is better guidance on this issue?

When I do pop a settler it is often so far from my home cities that I have rarely been able to make good use of that godsend. If it is popped by a scout I usually settle in place, but the enemy has usually taken that city from me. Popping a settler close to home is a real bonanza.

13. Più Freddo

It has happened lately. I think I had it happen as well, not while game testing, but when playing a GOTM. No one has offered an explanation. Workers pop as well in these games, don't they?

14. templar_x

I made, like, 5 tests. In 2 of them I popped settlers, in none of them I popped workers from huts.
    t_x

15. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

I think this "problem" was introduced, when we lost the old GOTM/COTM biq files and created new ones. Somehow the "disabling of settler-pops" was done differently than in the old ones, but I don't know exactly, how it was done, or what setting in the editor is responsible for that... :dunno:
    Perhaps a modding guru like Civinator can give us a tip?!

16. Più Freddo

Please ask!

I know only the one setting, which is the reclassification of Settler as initial unit type 2 and Worker as type 1 under the assumption that you get type 1 sometimes when you pop a hut.

(We have also adapted the number of starting units, per difficulty level, for the AI according to this reclassification, as the number of Workers and of Settlers are not the same.)

17. Più Freddo

And you checked in the editor that the starting unit classification is modified?

18. templar_x

No, I haven´t, and I can only try to find this out. I have no real knowledge about the editor at all, and only with the help of your step-by-step instruction I manage to throw out an XOTM every now and then... ;D
    t_x

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  19. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Warlord Supporter

Yes, those instructions are the best. They leave nothing to chance or the imagination.

20. templar_x

In case this is what you mean, in the scenario it says unter "General Settings" -> "Default Units":
    -Captured Unit: Worker
    -Start Unit 1: Settler
    -Start Unit 2: Worker

Or is there something else to see?
    t_x