GameSpy: Civ4 is Game of the Month!

It should definitely be (Game of the Year), or at least (Strategy Game of the Year)! I haven't played a better game yet this year.......:D Thanks Sid!!!!

That is cool. Nicely done. And Age of Empires is a runner up. Hehe.

1. I agree that Civ4 is DEFINITELY GotM ... if not GotY ... but...

2. Gamespy is also partnered with Firaxis on Civ4 :lol: :crazyeye:

CIV IV is GAME OF THE YEAR MATERIAL and certainly BEST STRATEGY GAME OF THE YEAR, bye bye Total War Barbarian silly Invasion. bye bye Hearts of Iron crummy 2. Age of Imps Empires III? lol not a chance. CIV IV wins it all by a landslide. ;)

Nearly 80% of those polled aren't having issues with CIV IV and are really enjoying it as the best CIV ever. ;) I am and the ease of which it can be modded just makes it that much better and finally someone put PLENTY of OPTIONS in the game so just about everyone can have the kind of game and fun they want. I like wars a lot sometimes and then I like peaceful growth sometimes and with the options I can get both. BEST strategy game ever made (lol always wanted to say that)

Ravinhood said:
BEST strategy game ever made (lol always wanted to say that)
:lol: :D

You know why it's so good, right? It's still Civ1 :goodjob:

ONE:scan: MORE:scan: TURN

:lol:

Phoenix_56721 said:
It should definitely be (Game of the Year), or at least (Strategy Game of the Year)! I haven't played a better game yet this year.......:D Thanks Sid!!!!

Did Sid actually really make the game, like he worked on Pirates, or did someone else make it and they just use his name?
Thought so far always that Sid made Civ4, but a while ago i read somewhere that another guy did, now i am a bit confused in what role Sid Meier really played.

Let me clarify that for you, when Sid began work "back in the day" he worked on stuff with a guy named Soren Johnson, Sid made the concepts and the ideas and Soren "coded" it all. Sid made and actually contributed to all the civ games up until three but he didn not contribute as much to civ 4 as he did the others. The name on the game now doesnt really mean much as he was not exactly as into the project as the other games. BUT!!!!!His long time Soren Johnson however basically took over the spot that old SID used to be in, and its safe to say that Soren who worked with Sid on civ1,civ2,civ3,conquests,alpha centuarie and a few others knows what the hell hes doing and what Sid would want.

Sid was most likely a "consultant" on things that were added. He's too important now to be reduced to a mere coder. That's for the next up and coming famous person, though I sure don't know who it's going to be, most of these youngsters today don't have any good design ideas at all. They only know how to paint pretty pictures, but, not much intelligence after that.

We may have experienced the GOLDEN AGE of software designers in the 80's and early 90's. After that it's been all repeats and rarely anything new an innovating. Most games I always get the same feeling "been there done that".

Thats because of the lowered costs of making games, theyve become relaitively cheaper to make but sell even more, it used to be the other way around so developers didnt have a choice but to make onlyquality games. Ever notice how about half of the games on the super NES were all huge hits?

Ah ok thanks, well the time between Pirates and Civ 4 was a bit short that Sid had fully worked on both. But dont mind guys from Firaxis are in my eyes the last old school developers, that dont take everything such deadly seriously and out for money like the rest of the current scene (just watch the making off Pirates or the Civanonymos site :lol: )

Back In Black said:
Let me clarify that for you, when Sid began work "back in the day" he worked on stuff with a guy named Soren Johnson, Sid made the concepts and the ideas and Soren "coded" it all. Sid made and actually contributed to all the civ games up until three but he didn not contribute as much to civ 4 as he did the others.

Let's not forget about Brian Reynolds, who's largely responsible for Civ2. Soren Johnson didn't enter the picture until Civ3 (which he did a great job on, obviously :goodjob: ).

Back In Black said:
Let me clarify that for you, when Sid began work "back in the day" he worked on stuff with a guy named Soren Johnson, Sid made the concepts and the ideas and Soren "coded" it all. Sid made and actually contributed to all the civ games up until three but he didn not contribute as much to civ 4 as he did the others. The name on the game now doesnt really mean much as he was not exactly as into the project as the other games. BUT!!!!!His long time Soren Johnson however basically took over the spot that old SID used to be in, and its safe to say that Soren who worked with Sid on civ1,civ2,civ3,conquests,alpha centuarie and a few others knows what the hell hes doing and what Sid would want.

Uh, no.

"Back in the day" Soren was five or so. Sid made Civ1 primarily with Bruce Shelley (of the Age of Empires fame). Sid and Bruce both designed it with Sid doing much of the coding (and there were quite a few artists on it even then). Civ2 was primarily designed by Brian Reynolds and the crew who later on went on to do Alpha Centauri and later left Microprose with Sid and Jeff Briggs (who was with Sid for ages as a designer) to form Firaxis. The crew who made AC were to make Civ3 but left to form Big Huge Games (and make Rise of Nations). At this point Soren came on Civ3. He and Jeff Briggs designed it with Soren being the AI programmer (by this time the teams are dozens).

From what I hear, Sid contributed a bit more to Civ4 than he did for 2 or 3 (but he's always in the background of any of the games giving his expertise).

Well, that's how I heard it happened, anyways.

Back In Black said:
Thats because of the lowered costs of making games, theyve become relaitively cheaper to make but sell even more, it used to be the other way around so developers didnt have a choice but to make onlyquality games.

Games are waaaay more expensive to make now (this is not to say that they don't sell more). It used to be that a few guys could make a game and make lots of money themselves. A game like Civ4 costs quite a few million dollars to get out the door.

Somehow it's a bit weird that it's called sid meier's civilization. I mean what if windows where called bill gates windows 95/me/xp :D

What are you running?; bill gates windows xp!!

WillemIV said:
Somehow it's a bit weird that it's called sid meier's civilization. I mean what if windows where called bill gates windows 95/me/xp :D

What are you running?; bill gates windows xp!!

Probably because of copyright laws. There was a game called "Advanced Civilization" made by Avalon Hill many many years ago. Adding Sid Meier's to Civilization prevents those copyright issues.

Ravinhood said:
Probably because of copyright laws. There was a game called "Advanced Civilization" made by Avalon Hill many many years ago. Adding Sid Meier's to Civilization prevents those copyright issues.

And this caused some ugly lawsuits that eventually led to both Microprose and Avalon Hill being bought out by Hasbro as they were bled dry.

Top Bottom