[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

As for Tundra and snow I wonder if we could get graphical updates to tribal villages with igloos in that part of the map?
The Inuit didn't live in igloos; they were hunting shelters. They lived in earthen huts. :p And the indigenous peoples of Siberia mostly lived in sundry tents, similar either to tipis or yurts depending on the group.

The Inuit didn't live in igloos; they were hunting shelters. They lived in earthen huts. :p And the indigenous peoples of Siberia mostly lived in sundry tents, similar either to tipis or yurts depending on the group.
Well I'd like to see igloos somehow represented in the game. With these game graphics they would look cool. Pun intended. :p

Has anyone else read this? Thoughts? Did he get early access to a build and not like it? The analysis does not follow from what we've been shown so far in my opinion. The major gripe is based around the remark made in the first stream about flooding your opponents through global warming, but in that same stream Firaxis also said the impact of natural disasters can be controlled via settings. It then seems to suggest the expansion is light on features but we haven't even been shown all the new features yet. Electricity and the Future Era come to mind.

Could be a good thing. He says something along the lines of loving the base game and we all know how a good portion of the community responded to it. Probably means the expansion will be fantastic lol.

The Inuit didn't live in igloos; they were hunting shelters. They lived in earthen huts. :p

Pretty sure lots of communities were built of permanent to semi-permanent igloos, where the community would live except during summer forays into the tundra. Yes, hunting parties would also build igloos for temporary shelter, and even the "permanent" buildings would need substantial post-storm repairs when the community returned to that location, but the igloo was the primary habitat for at least some of the semi-nomadic communities, I believe.

Update on my "Gathering Storm viral marketing" experience from last weekend.

Flooding took out the library (closed for 2 months) in the next town over. They shouldn't have built the campus in the floodplain. (Not even kidding)

Tundra and Desert tiles could potentially be really good locations IF storms such as blizzards and dust storms add fertility to those tiles. Might try a few games with the disasters set to max just to see.

Tundra and Desert tiles could potentially be really good locations IF storms such as blizzards and dust storms add fertility to those tiles. Might try a few games with the disasters set to max just to see.

That's interesting, I didn't realize there was a chance for them to add fertility. Think I'll try my first game with max disasters :D

About the article, I think the author is taking the idea of weaponizing global warming way too far. It's just to my understanding a minor side effect that you can't really use to target a particular civ. I'd assume that any actions that you take to increase climate change won't be rewarding to you personally and may in fact backfire if you have important cities in locations that could be affected, which I think will be most of the time. But once in a while may be you might get a chance to potentially put a rival behind one way or another, and in the end this in my opinion reflects human nature and modern human history - if I have a coastal civ I'd better take precautions against climate change and do everything in my power to counteract others increasing the risk of it.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea that gathering storm is introducing a new era and looking a bit ahead of our time.

I don't think blizzards and dust storms can add fertility, but I'm not certain. My recollection from the stream was that only hurricanes and tornadoes, which cause flooding, can add fertility.

edit: Sorry, I misremembered that. It was dust storms and hurricanes that they specifically said could add fertility.

Last edited:

I very possibly could've heard wrong. I think Ed briefly touched on it in the first livestream. I know they haven't talked about storms too much so maybe it's just wishful thinking. Could be a missed opportunity though if not. Volcanoes and floods already do.

Maybe they temporarily increase electricity from wind farms :)

As a Dutch, I can confirm that is not how it works. If you have storm (above 7 on the scale of beaufort) wind turbines cannot generate energy anymore because there's too much wind.

I know,I was joking
(Netherlands isn’t the only country with wind turbines you know)

Has there been any hint on whether tiles can chance type.
Eg due to the planet heating up, a tundra tile can become a plains tile for example. Or a grassland tile could become desert.

This would be a cool effect. But maybe a bit complicated

Has there been any hint on whether tiles can chance type.

Implied because it appears land tiles may turn into water tiles. Nothing confirmed though.

I very possibly could've heard wrong. I think Ed briefly touched on it in the first livestream. I know they haven't talked about storms too much so maybe it's just wishful thinking. Could be a missed opportunity though if not. Volcanoes and floods already do.

Hmm it is listed in the https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/gathering-storm-features-thread.638642 in the list compiled by @bite. It seems there's a chance they'll add fertility.

I would like to see the effect these storms have on cities and units, would be pretty awesome to have an invasion thwarted by a blizzard or storm :D

Wasn't it mentioned that the Russians were immune to the blizzard damage to units?

Take less damage, and Blizzards cause more damage to enemies in your territory

Has anyone else read this? Thoughts? Did he get early access to a build and not like it? The analysis does not follow from what we've been shown so far in my opinion. The major gripe is based around the remark made in the first stream about flooding your opponents through global warming, but in that same stream Firaxis also said the impact of natural disasters can be controlled via settings. It then seems to suggest the expansion is light on features but we haven't even been shown all the new features yet. Electricity and the Future Era come to mind.
This guy is treating a news outlet like his personal blog. It's just a nonsensical rant.

Top Bottom