1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] George Floyd and protesting while black

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

It might be important to set reasonable expectations for mental health reason.

2. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

It's not "the law" that has failed, it's the police that have failed.

Right, fair enough, but you should care about the statutes when it comes to what the guy needs to actually be charged with.

Ajidica likes this.
  3. haroon

haroon Deity

I cannot pin point what, but there are inherently something really wrong on choking someone neck with your knee and body weight for 9 min and calling that un-intentional murder, especially if such act was done by the one who got training and "licensed" to do it.

The argument might be correct might be wrong from the law point of view, I'm not sure. But if for the sake of practicality this is the only way that can drag the culprit to jail and bring reform to the system, maybe it should be accepted, like this is "better than nothing".

4. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Watching CNN at father in laws place. Big difference between reading about it and seeing it on TV.

El_Machinae likes this.
  5. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

I'd be happy to accept a lesser charge of third degree murder if the cop doesn't get the bare minimum punishment. Of course, I'm not really the aggrieved party. Third can still carry up to 25 years in MN, apparently - so if he spends at least 10 behind bars before any parole of any kind, that's not exactly a slap on the wrist. No real complaints about charging for third degree as long as the sentencing fits the crime. If he gets out in 4 years for good behavior or some crap...

I think cops should be held to a higher standard since we give them so much authority. If it were a civilian holding down on Floyd's neck other civilians could have intervened. They specifically couldn't because the murderer was a cop. I think cops should get the maximum sentence almost all of the time.

6. Arwon

Arwon

Some jurisdictions here have reckless murder, whereby the act was intentional and the perpetrator knew that the action was likely to cause serious injury or death.

I'm not a lawyer but the line between "reckless murder" and "manslaughter by dangerous or unlawful act" appears to be about whether serious injury/death was likely or merely possible.

I would expect a prosecutor to go hard on what the cops are trained to do with regards to necessary and proportional force, and the expectation that they know what is a safe and unsafe way to restrain someone.

(Of course, that doesn't mean the law works here. We have had 400 First Nations deaths in custody since the Royal Commission into it in the 1990s, not one has resulted in a criminal conviction, and there have absolutely been riots in response to deaths)

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    JohannaK, yung.carl.jung and Synsensa like this.
  7. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

The cop who killed Floyd was probably the senior man, subordinates are reluctant to 'mutiny'. I imagine they thought the guy knew what he was doing, but I'd be surprised if a superior officer was on site watching him do that to Floyd.

8. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Maybe the neighborhood will appreciate the symbolism while they're rebuilding it

I agree, I think the cop is a sadist who went too far with his fun

Do Republicans run Minneapolis?

9. cardgame

No, Republicans have nothing to do with this particular incident. They do, however, oppose police reform at all levels? and just generally speaking do not give a single solitary god damn about police brutality. many democrats (not all) do.

10. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

oh I dont know, Biden coauthored a war on drugs which is in large measure responsible for police brutality & killings and Trump pushed thru a big roll back in that war with the 1st step act.

11. cardgame

Do you think that's something that normally happens under Republicans, or is Trump an exception somehow? There's no denying he's racist so don't give me that he meant well for black people under the criminal justice system.

12. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Trump's an exception, he's not glued to orthodoxy. But the 1st step act had widespread support from both parties, it just took someone a little outside the box to get it done.

13. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I agree with people being upset (and even rioting) but targeting random businesses that have nothing to do with the incident doesn't seem productive or fair. If you're angry at something, go to the source. In this case, police stations.

edit: blast from the past, this happens to white people too.

edit 2: another classic example. Fat load of good his "white privilege" did this unarmed man either.

for those that don't want to watch the videos, both times the officers got away with murder, no repercussions whatsoever.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Sofista, Kyriakos and cardgame like this.
  14. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Yes, as I have noted, hitting the cops with criminal charges in only the beginning of a solution here.

15. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Alot of these people aren't angry, they're desperate which is even more dangerous for the establishment.

@amadeus can dismiss these people as bums but a combination of COVID and a lack of income when most Americans live paycheck to paycheck is literally creating the situation we see right now,

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Charging him and convicting him are two different things. By the time he sees a courtroom the furor will have died down. There likely will not be any evidence since the cops wouldn't have recognized that any crime had taken place so none would be collected. Case dismissed.

17. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

cardgame likes this.
  18. haroon

haroon Deity

cardgame likes this.
  19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Under the excellent leadership of Donald Trump it is distinctly possible that the rioting could go on through the whole summer. I don't really see him as being capable of calming things down.

20. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Allah willing

Synsensa and haroon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.