1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] George Floyd and protesting while black

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

Yes, it is my opinion - and also simplest explanation by far. You are welcome to propose an alternative theory that would describe a mechanism by which dropping foot patrols causes a drop in burglaries. I would be quite sincerely impressed.
    As I said, I am open to a debate on overall effectiveness on "broken window theory", but I'll have you note its proponents claim it is "in large part responsible for NYC going from a city that in 1990 had 9.6% of the nation’s homicides to a city that in 2013 had 2.4% of the nation’s homicides". I won't rush to any conclusions, but I find a drop of 400% over two decades more convincing evidence than a drop of 4% over 2 months.
    I am no fan of US police. It appears poorly trained, often excessively violent
    Spoiler :
    (EDIT: see https://9gag.com/gag/azmAQ4N for an example of behavior I could not begin to imagine from Estonian police. I half-heartedly hoped the video is staged, but apparently not. The guy wasn't even the one they were after!)
    and lacking in supervision.
    However that may be, every society requires law enforcement. If one does not trust in possibiity of reform, I guess one can advocate for secession or revolution. That is what happened in Soviet Union in any case.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  2. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Wouldn't just finding the source of the claim that 'crime went down' speed up the ability to figure out if it's a useful claim?

Lexicus likes this.
  3. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

If the Proud Boys attack other protesters the government should punish them.

I've mentioned her several times to condemn the drug war and no knock raids.

I figured that out after you wanted the job of deciding what I can hear

And RussiaGate... So? Is there some reason you should be the only one spreading myths?

You said crime went down because of a police strike, proving it aint my job. Your article doesn't say the police were on strike, they had a work 'slowdown', they changed their focus from 'broken windows' to more serious crime. From your article:

The cops didn't stop dealing with serious crime, they had even more people available to focus on it. The article is challenging the efficacy of the broken windows theory, not if cops are needed. And frankly the drop in crime was so small with winter setting in I'd be surprised if crime rates dont dip with temperatures anyway.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/does-cold-stop-crime-it-seems-so-n309856

That article is from Feb 2015, your article is for late 2014 to early 2015. Coincidence? NYC was in the midst of an arctic blast I guess, even the cops didn't want to be outside. I hope the enlightened ones guarding the Temple of Truth factored that into their version of reality.

I'm not your pal, guy

TheMeInTeam likes this.
  4. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Does "law enforcement" necessarily mean "professional, heavily armed police force" though?

Yeah, but you reject anything that would concretely resemble accountability for the police so, as many have pointed out, this is just a performance you use to try to disarm criticism and obscure the fact that you are a fascist who believes that agents of the state, and indeed vigilante murderers, should be allowed to kill people without answering to the law at all.

5. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

What have I rejected? I said Floyd's killer was a sadist and should be prosecuted, does that qualify as accountability? You should let others make their own arguments, accusing people of being dishonest with your track record of straw men is hypocritical.

Oh, and btw, you want us to vote for a man who devoted a half century to creating the environment that cost Breonna Taylor her life. Calling other people fascists because of state violence when you endorse the candidate with the most state violence blood on his hands is pukeworthy.

6. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

"Professional" (as in appropriately trained and qualified) is a good word in my lexicon. This also implies ability to use arms in a judicious manner.

7. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

Be careful, friend, that logic could easily lead you to the commie concept of militsiya.

8. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

You cannot seriously believe the police in America are in anyway professional, across the board

9. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

You certainly haven't rejected being called racist and fascist.

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  10. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blo...ship-between-portland-cops-and-patriot-prayer

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-d...-philadelphia-police-and-far-right-proud-boys

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/5/27/21272143/chicago-police-department-officers-antifa-proud-boys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proud_Boys

Yea you know what you can do with your hot take here. . . the "libertarian", as the federales kidnap protesters in unmarked vehicles with no identification or reasons for detainment, defends? The Proud Boys and the local police aligned with them. Give him a ******* hand people, he is showing us how freedom from fascist tyranny is done people!

Bugfatty300 likes this.
  11. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Well I've done all the above thus far now. So yea I guess lil ani better get his gun! yea I'm currently not looking to overthrow the government single handedly and believe an all out overthrow would be insanely dangerous considering the current make up of the US. I mean literally in five years I could see Mexico and Canada becoming Lebensraum. I'm not kidding. you know we have administration officials p[laying games with the "fourteen words" . . . I know people whom might line up behind a similar soundbite. It just needs better "branding".

12. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Yes I have... Name calling is common around here and those are the most popular ones with the echo chamber. And he didn't call me a racist, he called me a fascist. The rest of my post which you conveniently chopped off was a rejection of both accusations.

You'll have to quote your links. If the Proud Boys attacked protesters the government should punish them. If the local cops conspired with Proud Boys to attack protesters they should be punished too.

TheMeInTeam likes this.
  13. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

./sigh

The obvious point is @Berzerker is that they feel they are on the same side. It makes logical sense, they both have completely fascist motives. This is the USA we've always been far more likely to turn into the second incarnation of a major fascist power then a communist one. Its like you are not familiar with the history of the US government at all man.

Yes I agree they should be punished, no I have no faith this current incarnation of Federal or almost any State government can or will do this appropriately.

14. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

https://theintercept.com/2020/07/15...nBOuQvR2jJEE3zRgkRkcV5FbrNqB-T0BQWRiRbl1jQInM

In all, the BlueLeaks archive contains more than 16 million rows of data from hundreds of thousands of hacked database tables: not just personal information of officers, but the content of bulk emails and newsletters, descriptions of alleged crimes with geolocation coordinates, internal survey results, website logs, and so much more. It also contains hundreds of thousands of PDFs and Microsoft Office documents, thousands of videos, and millions of images.

“I think that law enforcement can be better if [evidence of police crimes and racial bias] can be made more public,” Goff said. “The emails and records that I’ve seen could absolutely take down the entire profession.”

I'd expect a steady leak of terrible things for quite some time considering all the terrible things going on in the open.

15. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Antifa attacks protesters, defending free speech from them aint fascism. I understand the ideological alignments involved, if that turned into an actual conspiracy between cops and Proud Boys to attack protesters they should be punished.

16. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

the libertarian puts his fingers in his ears and sings "lalala freedom liberty lalala"

17. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Cloud_Strife and gay_Aleks like this.
  18. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

I'm afraid I'll get banned if I say what I think should happen to those DHS agents. November really is this nation's last chance.

El_Machinae likes this.
  19. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

As an unrelated aside, legal precedents exist justifying defensive violence against police if they operate without identifying themselves first.

in addition these are ICE agents, largely.

gay_Aleks and El_Machinae like this.
  20. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Yeah, overthrowing the government may be very painful, but it might be necessary. We disagree on a lot of political issues, but I think we agree that this government is no longer serving the people and working within the system doesn't seem to do anything to change that fact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.