1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] George Floyd and protesting while black

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

They don't have to be more trustworthy than the government. My point was they will not have immunity from lawsuits like the police do. You can sometimes sue the police but it's very hard to get over the "qualified immunity" hurdle.

2. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

You should test your hypothesis my friend, go to the nearest African American or black and brown person and say it, see what happens and if they react to it in a bad way just say there's nothing wrong with the word

3. Joij21

Joij21 Prince

Estebonrober likes this.
  4. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

She was killed after firing on cops during a botched drug raid. If you fired at the cops raiding your home they would have probably shot you too. So even if we count this one case, its obvious being black does not trigger cops. What does?

The vast majority of people killed by cops are younger men and the vast majority of them were either armed or engaged in threatening behavior. Why are younger black men disproportionately represented in the stats? Decades of drug wars and black market violence concentrated in their neighborhoods.

AQ said being black triggers police violence, he's wrong. How many black women are killed by the cops? Very few, police violence is usually directed at men, younger men. Do you think black on black crime contributes to the number of younger black men killed by cops?

During alcohol prohibition white men were getting killed in larger numbers because of black market violence tied to illegal booze. Fewer cops enforcing fewer laws - especially legalizing/decriminalizing widespread behavior like drug possession - will reduce the body count. Not just from cops killing civilians, but among the citizenry.

5. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

I'm pretty sure the cops have at least a smidgen of responsibility for their behaviour. They don't (or shouldn't, rather) have carte blanche to do what they want to enforce laws.

6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Rather more than botched. They falsified the paperwork used to justify the raid and planted drugs in her house after killing her. It was a no knock raid.
    So they burst in on a elderly black woman without any warning and when she defended herself against intruders killed her.

7. red_elk

red_elk Deity

8. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Drug war and black neighborhoods are part of the problem.

They come down on street dealers like a ton of bricks, but get caught dealing cocaine and yeah.

Black neighborhoods are a legacy of projects and redlining. Outside Auckland we don't really have racial neighborhoods here.

People gonna deal drugs etc if they can't get money. It's cheaper to pay welfare and social programs than throwing people in jail.

9. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I agree, no knock raids like the one AQ posted are a disaster for homeowners. The woman they killed had every right to defend herself from home invasion. The courts have said no knock raids are constitutional (reasonable my ass) and it doesn't matter if I think they're nuts, but thats another consequence of militarizing police.

10. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Of the people killed in no knock raids 42% have been black. They have frequently not been the intended target of the raid. They are part of why US police are dangerous to all black people, not just young black males as you are assuming.

Lexicus and Estebonrober like this.
  11. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

no knock raids really only make sense if you're going after some major cartel operation, not one or two dudes operating alone. judges shouldn't be handing these things out like candy.

12. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

• Infraction for flaming
    It’s not going well because you are an uneducated bigot. Read more; talk less.

Moderator Action: Make your point without flaming, please. --LM

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2020
  13. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Drug Raid! @ 4am!

oops sorry wrong house. Stupid drug war.

14. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Do you have a link? The only 42% I found was from a 2014 study of 800 SWAT raids "affecting" black households, not deaths. The same study showed 12% of Hispanic households which is below their % of the population. I'm not sure why but from the stats I've seen Hispanics have less trouble from the cops than both blacks and whites.

No knock raids primarily target younger men, other people who get killed are usually the result of mistakes - like Breonna Taylor and the case you linked from Georgia. But the number of people killed in such raids is relatively small.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...adly-combination-civilians-police/5193854002/

I think thats innocent people, there are more killed over petty crimes. Many wrong tips come from people seeking better deals after they get busted. If the drug war focuses on black neighborhoods the tips will disproportionately target other black people.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  15. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Ok Berz, but in what year did actual racism end, and this effect of supposedly race neutral drug war take over?

Synsensa likes this.
  16. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Probably the same year the Annunaki came down from Nibiru and taught the Babylonians about Pluto.

Synsensa likes this.
  17. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Who said the drug war was race neutral?

The Babylonians gave us the Code of Hammurabi, not the drug war. But not just Pluto, they described a solar system of 12 main bodies including Uranus and Neptune.

18. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

You did, when you said words to the effect that violent police encounters were not caused by racism ("being black"), and only appeared to be so due to the drug war, in #1644.

19. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

That doesn't make sense, why would the drug war be race neutral if it made violent police encounters appear racist? Here's what I said in that post:

20. Arwon

Arwon

Obviously being black doesn't trigger police shootings otherwise you'd see white mass shooters surviving and being, I dunno, brought burgers instead of being shot on the spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.