1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] George Floyd and protesting while black

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red_elk

red_elk Deity

"US-trained officers ransacking people's homes" was definitely not about USSR. I suppose it's somewhere in Latin America.

In USSR some types of Western music were "not recommended" before perestroika, but everybody listened to it anyway.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  2. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Yeah I've seen the home made LBs made out of old X Ray's.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

See, it's crazy stretching just to make an asshat comment that gets you written off.

4. r16

r16 not deity

they are hollow and their capitalist overseers are also hollow . lnstead of facing it they once again turned back at some last minute even if it is also on record the like 200 or 400 richest men in the US made half the GNP of my country in two months . Do not fall into the trap of losing morale , peaceful does it and this is a far more integrated world than 1860s .

5. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Agitator apparently tries to plant a flash bomb firework (?), actual protestors do their best to get it out of the way. Something then gets set off from inside the agitator's car (nobody in it at this point). Source is DC 101 (I don't know how common this kind of reporting is for what looks to be a rock music station, hah).

6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I think you are being deliberately obtuse.
    Nobody has claimed being black is the only disadvantage that exists. It is one that particularly seems to trigger the police though.

7. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I thought we were talking about privilege, but do elderly black women trigger cops?

The blue wall of silence was built by cops who wanted to be liked and you think they chose the harder path.

8. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Black women certainly seem to.
    But we were talking about privilege. One aspect of that is being treated differently by the police on the basis of race.

9. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe Prince

Who would like to see a Kwanza state emerge in North America?

10. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

How many elderly black women were killed by cops?

11. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Nobody knows since the US doesn't collect those figures.

12. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

I read an AMA with a Black Lives Matter spokesperson today and was super disappointed. She did not answer A SINGLE question about where the donated money goes. Did not say what the organization is actually doing. Did not say HOW to "defund the police". Only replied to super save questions. I wouldn't donate to BLM if I was swimming in money, honestly. I'd much rather give to a transparent organization.

13. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Since the US doesn't keep these figures the only way to find out if the police have killed elderly black women is to trawl the internet.
    I found 1 case. There may be others

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Kathryn_Johnston

There is also the case of Aiyana Stanley- Jones, a 7 year old girl shot by police who claimed they were struggling with her grandmother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Aiyana_Jones

Being elderly and female doesn't make you safe from the police if you are black.

14. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I didn't go that route. I dropped a hefty donation on a food bank that services areas on the south side where food stores were looted and people are really struggling to find fresh food. I was going to make it anonymous but then changed my mind at the last minutes and made it in the name of CFC, since you guys do your best to make me feel guilty. ;)

15. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Completely anecdotal, but there's a lot of social media chatter (particularly around activists, in particular BLM and BLM-adjacent activists) that individuals are co-opting the current protests (and optics) all of a sudden. Multiple reports in different areas - in one case the guy who claimed to be a spokesperson was an Instagram . . .mer? Instagrammer? One of those types of influencer that wasn't even part of the protests.

I'm not saying that therefore this AMA was in the same kind of vein, and I will dig out information if you want to know more (because even if proof of what I'm saying, it's not necessarily anything to do with the AMA still).

Black Lives Matter is a movement, instead of an organisation. Insofar as it has an organisation; it's decentralised. I'd be wary of anyone claiming to speak on behalf of the movement. Maybe they just represented their local chapter, I dunno.

yung.carl.jung and Sommerswerd like this.
  16. Modder_Mode

Modder_Mode Prince

I didn't mean it literally Gorbles, I just meant that Bush is not someone you would want to use as an endorsement, I've posted my thoughts before on his governance.

This article is a lot better at supporting your claim than the first article you posted, but I still wonder on other variables/factors:

What areas were the houses being purchased in, high risk areas? Low risk areas? Crime risk areas? Close to good schools/bad schools, can we compare this to the white people borrowing?

Did the customers in question negotiate the loan terms in their favor or were they more agreeable? Or did the bank just tell them take it or leave it?

Was there a guarantor on the respective black vs. white loan applicantions? Did class play a factor in this regard?

Was age a factor?

In the first article you posted (https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-modern-day-redlining-20180215-story.html) if the more recent credit score information was available (the article claimed it was not publicly available) then it would have been a more useful article for recent data, I'm not blaming the authors of that article for not citing credit score data, they couldn't get access to it as lenders will not make it public citing privacy concerns, they could be covering up what you are claiming here.

I don't know much on CNBC's "political or economical alignment" but it seems CNBC agrees with you though (at least on the home loan discrepancy): https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/01/man...-credit-due-to-decades-of-discrimination.html

17. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Then maybe don't claim it as something that reads as a literal? It makes it difficult to work out what parts of your post are or aren't meant to be taken seriously.

Besides, Bush nominally-supporting the current events is relatively irrelevant. Nobody in the BLM movement, or anyone related to that movement, is likely to be using Bush's words as an endorsement. The fact that you think people are using it as an endorsement is funny though. You're missing the point. The point is that if even someone like Bush (nevermind Romney) is speaking out in this regard, that means it has become politically palettable to support such a thing. That shows how much traction (and indeed success) the current protests have garnered.

migalhone likes this.
  18. Modder_Mode

Modder_Mode Prince

It's more of an irony thing.
    Is there an agenda behind Bush coming out with these comments? And does this matter would be the more appropriate question?

19. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

This is unfortunate to hear

20. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Ofc there is an agenda.
    Some Republicans may be genuinely concerned about the issue but most are IMO just worried about Trump tainting the GOP and making them unelectable for the foreseeable future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.