• Can figure it out myself/bs my way through

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Prophetic images from the radioactive monkeygod

Votes: 8 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kennigit

proud 2 boxer
Just wondering, where to you guys start when you want to find something out, whether its 1 simple fact or beginning a long research. I personally find google the best, but I find myself drawn more and more towards Wikipedia.

edit- need to get the poll up....

I use everything!

Google, Wikipedia, and References are my favorites though.

Having access to college/university/library databases like MegaFile is the best way to do research, in my opinion, after you've explored your topic through Google and Wikipedia. Using Google's filetype search has yielded some pretty good PDF results for me as well.

Books and Wikipedia first, then I check other stuff if I still need info.

edit: oh yeah and the database for newspapers.

Google and wikipedia first, then books and other references.

Google (especially Google Books, now that I can see books from 1900 page by page, definitely helps me get a contemporary perspective) is one place I go first. I also use other books/references (periodicals, encyclopedias, etc) and have made great use out of that main public library on 5th Avenue between 40th and 42nd Streets in Manhattan. The access to LexisNexis through Pace University's library gives me access to it 24/7 and has been very valuable for work in current events and politics.

I've also used people as a resource, since sometimes they can help point the way that leads to better information.

Wikipedia I use to get a gist of a topic or to throw around ideas. I've never used it as an actual source for academic work and I don't rely on it for anything other than getting ideas, which can be useful in its own right.

I've linked to wikipedia on posts here only because it's first and I try to at least glance at it to make sure it isn't full of crap before attaching it. However, since my neck isn't on the line at OT with information (in the academic sense), I've begun to use it here.

Have any of you cited a wikipedia entry on reports if you did academic work? I've noticed there are some teachers/professors that are lazy about the whole thing and take it. What do you all think about it?

I use wikipedia to get a general feel for a topic.

Next is google, for more general information.

Finally, JSTOR is man's greatest invention since the wheel.

Oh, and I never actually cite wikipedia. Everything I use from wiki must be eventually verified by another source.

Integral

Oh, and I never actually cite wikipedia. Everything I use from wiki must be eventually verified by another source.

Integral
I don't cite it, either. But I've noticed more and more people are. Of course, there's always that person that plagiarizes a source and leaves the URL on the page...luckily those types haven't made it far past high school, as I've noticed.

Google and wikipedia are great when you want to get an initial bit of information regarding a topic you want to know about, but overall, I find word of mouth, a/k/a people, to be the single greatest and most valuable information resource. I'm surprised at how much I can learn for even a short time when I listen, or practice networking even for a short time.

Google, Yahoo, Wiki, and books.

Google and Wikipedia

First Wikipedia, then google and when I want to dig deeper I'll try to find a good book on the topic.

Google and Wikipedia.

Of course, Wiki first for the basic overview and Google if I want to go more in-depth. :)

Google and wikipedia are great when you want to get an initial bit of information regarding a topic you want to know about, but overall, I find word of mouth, a/k/a people, to be the single greatest and most valuable information resource. I'm surprised at how much I can learn for even a short time when I listen, or practice networking even for a short time.

QFT .

Top Bottom