1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Giant Death Robot is back?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Larsenex, Dec 20, 2018.

1. chrisgatt7

chrisgatt7 Prince

When a GDR attacks a encampment lmao

SupremacyKing2 likes this.
  2. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

So the offshore windmills were said to be a different improvement unlocked by a different tech than the land Wind Farm (unlocked at Composites). So this must be a Future Era tech.

Um... we have offshore windmills today. But this is a Future Era tech while the GDR is an Information Era unit?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    AbsintheRed, Jkchart, Icicle and 5 others like this.
  3. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

To be fair it unlocks at the end of Information Era.. kinda of.. their only mistakes is making Robotics another bee-line tech, all they'd have to do is switch it to require Telecommunications and Guidance Systems tbh and it'd solve most of the problem.

Jkchart likes this.
  4. Chester267

Chester267 Chieftain

Have to say I'm quite a bit disappointed that they chose this route over adding more future units, especially since they said that they would be considering technologies that would be feasible up until ~2050. The way it stands now, every other unit except info era melee armies will be destroyed from 3 tiles away in 1-2 hits.

AbsintheRed and Tiger Genocide like this.
  5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I'm pretty sure they have the ability now to turn off things for their livestreams. They probably had the offshore wind farm turned off.

Elhoim likes this.
  6. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

That is exactly the purpose of the GDR just as the devs hinted that the future governments are designed to be OP towards other victories. And there might be some future civics of future techs that also help towards the other victories. Clearly, the devs wanted to put some "game breakers" at the end of the tech and civics tree to help players break any late game gridlock.

From a game design perspectives, it makes a lot of sense. But I personally would have preferred more real world future stuff like rail guns, hypersonic missiles or the hyperloop transportation system or AI.

Jkchart, Tiger Genocide and Elhoim like this.
  7. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I haven't seen any evidence of this. But in any case, they said that offshore windmills come with a later tech than the land ones. Then land ones comes late in Information era.

8. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The Great Bath keeps appearing and disappearing at Pottery.

rattatatouille and Elhoim like this.
  9. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Seems they were pretty much forced to do this by the decision to make the order of appearance of Future Era techs random.

By making GDRs the only Future Era unit, and instead having "upgrades" to the GDR unlock in the Future Era, they had to put the base GDR at the end of the Information Era, so it can always be accessed before it's upgrades become available.

Well, "had to" is too strong. They could have compromised their vision for the Future Era and made the GDR tech fixed and known at the start of the Future Era, with the other techs randomly appearing. But I'm guessing the location of the GDR reflects an unwillingness to do that. So into the Information Age it went.

10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

This is pretty bad, not civ 5 bad, but still bad. As mentioned above I would have preferred hypersonic missiles and the like. And as mentioned, the tech is too early which wouldn't be a problem if it had 2 prerequisites instead of one. Now we have a situation where we have a giant death robot being supported in the air by prop planes and battleships at sea. Kind of silly.

And I don't like their philosophy of a single unit winning the game for you. Be it Rock bands or GDR. What will be the science victory super unit? Matt Damon? And the religious victory super unit will be Morgan Freeman. :lol: Actually Morgan Freeman can also be diplomatic victory super unit since he played the President in a movie. :)

11. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman throwing lightning bolts at each other, as a rock band plays in the background :D

I think the GDR represents a refreshing escape from 1 UPT by concentrating so much power in a single unit, but it does seem a little too much lol. The tech does seem too early, I suppose the production cost is meant to hold them back.

12. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

And the uranium cost. 3 per turn. I can't see many appearing.

13. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

Ah well - those purists. ;) waited for this thread since the livestream...
    GDR is supposed to be the finisher for dominators not done until then. Mob things up... Fine.
    How many unknown units are left? The remainings are all UUs or not?

14. Cerilis

Cerilis Stormrider

Afaik, there are 4 non-UUs left, which is kinda baffling.

Stilgar08 likes this.
  15. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

So funny to see people say "Expanding the Future Era is so boring. I have already wiped out all other civilizations of the map at the Industrial Era so far" while hearing too "Only one unit for the entire Future Era? Where is the diversity? Where is the strategy?"

The Future Era is clearly not a feature planned for the minmaxing players. It's only flavourful, for RP purpose, and it's supposed then to be fun (because, as all minmaxing players say, they will never go to Future Era since they will win long before that). The only players to benefit the Future Era are the RP players, the ones that look for fun and not only victory ; and as one of these, I must say that I think the GDR is AMAZING and promise so much fun.

TBH, the reason I lost interest in the late eras in other CIV and in this one is because the units seemed bland to me. By just doing "reasonable" and "sensible" future tech for the game, it will only be "another tank, another plane, another infantry, but with lasers, uranium and stealth". From a GP perspective, it's not really astonishing, but from a RP perspective, when I look at my units on the map, it's strictly the same. At least when I go from the slingers to archers to arbalets to gatling, I really sense the technological evolution. But passed the Industriel Era, it became boring for me. Here, I will at last have a reason to go to war in late games: to use my GDR and crushing enemies in a new, fun, different way.

Late eras is here to bring new game mechanics, new ways to play, new fun to experiment (GDR, rock bands, national parks, WC, global warming). Not to use the same mechanics I used during the past six thousand years.

16. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

So, as the other GDR thread was hit by the particle cannon, I'll re-post this here (because I would like this being discussed, if anybody has interest):

What I want now is a future-tech AT upgrade. A cyber-warfare unit that causes modern cavalry units and GDRs to loose 50% of their attack value (75% in the case of the GDR) by hacking their operating system as part of the attack.
    And/or a future-tech MG upgrade with a range 2 attack and 7-tile-AOE (a regional EMP so to say) that causes all cavalry units and GDRs in range to loose all but 2 of their movement points (and the jump ability in case of the GDR) next turn.
    Or any combination of both in a single unit. I am not picky.

With great power comes great ... need for powerful counters.

17. row2infinity

row2infinity Chieftain

I'm kind of surprised by the negative reaction. For me it's a cheesy joke along the same vein as Gandhi loving nukes. It's silly, but series specific, so fun! :) oh well....haha

Socrates99 likes this.
  18. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

That's because most everybody has the mindset that new units=combat units, where this might not be the case.
    I for one don't mind because it makes for more speculation.

Jkchart likes this.
  19. Metecury

Metecury Prince

Are they counting the different modules for the GDR as separate units in the new units count?

20. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

No. If you provide counters that would defeat the whole purpose of making the GDR a tie breaker. With counters, players could stop the GDR and prolong the game further. The whole point of the GDR is to give Domination players a means of finally finishing a game. The idea in civ is that you really are supposed to win the game well before the information age. So, if you are playing a game that has dragged on into the information age because you still cannot win the game, then the game needs to give you something OP to help you break the gridlock and finally finish the game. The GDR gives the domination player something cool and spectacular to finally win that domination victory in style.