Girls Basketball Team Wins Game 100-0, Coach Fired

I'm actually amazed at how much interests this draws. (And that i read a whole 100 posts on the topic). I mean, if I'm thinking back at my high school years, there was a fair amount of funny sports stories over the years, but what makes this special?

Karate is different because you're causing people injury if you're too good and they're no good. In sports that you play properly you cause no injury.
No-one seems to have replied to my suggestion that the other team are being dishonourable for expecting a fair game with too few players and (possibly) ******ed students.
If you play with the big girls, you expect to play with the big girls. Not hard to comprehend. If Christian values say that big girls can't play their best against opposing teams, don't have a coach and practices. Don't apologise after your highly coached and skillful team actually scores points against a pathetic and undermanned opposition.

Karate is different because you're causing people injury if you're too good and they're no good. In sports that you play properly you cause no injury.
No-one seems to have replied to my suggestion that the other team are being dishonourable for expecting a fair game with too few players and (possibly) ******ed students.
If you play with the big girls, you expect to play with the big girls. Not hard to comprehend. If Christian values say that big girls can't play their best against opposing teams, don't have a coach and practices. Don't apologise after your highly coached and skillful team actually scores points against a pathetic and undermanned opposition.

I do not think you understand that this league is a mixed league. They are not allowed, by law, to play in a public school league. This is the private school league of Dallas, these are the only teams they can play. If they do not play this team, they do not get to play.

Yeah, they don't have the money to play private schools of this size outside of Dallas, and this partnership works in their other sports. Texas has strong rules on public vs private athletic competition, since prep sports is such a big industry there

I do not think you understand that this league is a mixed league. They are not allowed, by law, to play in a public school league. This is the private school league of Dallas, these are the only teams they can play. If they do not play this team, they do not get to play.

If the choice of teams you can play with is limited, then you gotta except that sometimes a game ends with such a wide margin. Like I said before: Don't whine if a highly superior team beats the crap out of you.

If the choice of teams you can play with is limited, then you gotta except that sometimes a game ends with such a wide margin. Like I said before: Don't whine if a highly superior team beats the crap out of you.

They did not whine. The winning school issued an apology and explained it's values (which got the coach fired) without the Dallas Academy saying one word.

It's high school.

Sportsmanship is part of the game, too.

whats that mean? The players gotta try to screw up so the other team can have the ball? That aint sportsmanship, its condescending.

How do you tell yer players to stop playing? Put in back ups but they need the practice and experience and they wanna play good. Yer screwed either way... It sounds to me like this other "team" shouldn't have been on the court to begin with. Lets face it, it aint the 100 the one team scored, that happens in HS games. Its the 0 - was the winning team supposed to make a few shots for their opponents? ;)

whats that mean? The players gotta try to screw up so the other team can have the ball? That aint sportsmanship, its condescending.

How do you tell yer players to stop playing? Put in back ups but they need the practice and experience and they wanna play good. Yer screwed either way... It sounds to me like this other "team" shouldn't have been on the court to begin with. Lets face it, it aint the 100 the one team scored, that happens in HS games. Its the 0 - was the winning team supposed to make a few shots for their opponents? ;)

Downtown already explained what to do, but you ignored it conveniently.

To the general public: It's a good thing none of you ever played sports (mostly because you all probably suck) but you seem to ignore the basic tenets of sportsmanship.

You don't tell your kids to stop playing. You tell them to stop full court pressing, and to focus on other aspects of the game. A blowout can still be a great teaching opportunity, to run some different set and get extra reps in. They weren't interested in that.

Bingo. The people who object to this are obviously communists. Al and downtown, I don't understand why you seem to think that all games should end in ties. Now, the American way to look at this is as a competition. Some people are better than others. The people who aren't as good deserve what they get.

But eastsidebagel, I'm not sure why you're taking such a moderate stance with your views. Normal people should be able to "beat the crap out of" developmentally disabled people in ALL aspects of life, not just sports! If they can't find jobs because normal people are better, then good! Their genes'll get weeded out of existence even faster!

It doesn't carry over as well for other sports. Would you pull your goalie in hockey when you're up by 15 goals?

the 3rd and 4th lines would see more playing time, certainly

@ Gogf: Hey, don't be so harsh on me, okay? If disabled people wanna play fair games where everybody should be able to show his full abilities and skills, they will see those scores quite often. Why did they play in the first place, when their team was undermanned and lousy in the first place? Or why didn't they tweak the rules before the game to make it more enjoyable for them? The game was fair and square, the players of both of the teams did their best, I have nothing to complain about it.

Bingo. The people who object to this are obviously communists. Al and downtown, I don't understand why you seem to think that all games should end in ties. Now, the American way to look at this is as a competition. Some people are better than others. The people who aren't as good deserve what they get.

But eastsidebagel, I'm not sure why you're taking such a moderate stance with your views. Normal people should be able to "beat the crap out of" developmentally disabled people in ALL aspects of life, not just sports! If they can't find jobs because normal people are better, then good! Their genes'll get weeded out of existence even faster!

Did Amadeus hack your account?:lol:. Anyway I quite agree with your sarcasm. Why must people insist that the only purpose of sport is to win and that no other consideration is relevant even in pee wee type leagues. I have met people like that and they are the poster children for douchbaggery.

Downtown already explained what to do, but you ignored it conveniently.

My post was addressed to Irish Caesar, not you and not Downtown, how did you miss that? Can I respond to someone else before reading every damn post in the thread without being called a liar? :crazyeye: And you lecture others about ethics? :lol:

To the general public: It's a good thing none of you ever played sports (mostly because you all probably suck) but you seem to ignore the basic tenets of sportsmanship.

I played HS football, baseball and golf and went on to play college and semi pro baseball and not once did a team I was on stop making an effort because the other team couldn't keep up. Nope, no coach in all that time lectured us about the sportsmanship in not trying because the other team sucks. Yeah, it would have been real "sporting" for the better team to start screwing up on purpose so the other team could...could...what? Make a basket? If the score had been 82-6 would you be happy? Would that be sporting? :goodjob:

I played HS football, baseball and golf and went on to play college and semi pro baseball and not once did a team I was on stop making an effort because the other team couldn't keep up. Nope, no coach in all that time lectured us about the sportsmanship in not trying because the other team sucks. Yeah, it would have been real "sporting" for the better team to start screwing up on purpose so the other team could...could...what? Make a basket? If the score had been 82-6 would you be happy? Would that be sporting? :goodjob:

The point is that all it really shows is that your coach and players are a bunch of d-bags. The winning team was apparently doing lay-ups for almost the entire game. That doesn't build essential skills your team will need to defeat tougher teams, it doesn't display how "good" you are, and it doesn't do anything except make the game extremely boring for both teams.

No coach i've ever had has thought it acceptable to run up the score on opposing teams. The only acceptable time to do so would be against your rival school, in which case you should run it up as high as possible.

My post was addressed to Irish Caesar, not you and not Downtown, how did you miss that?

I would have answered sooner, but it seemed to me that you and downtown answered the question quite well.

Get everyone in the game. Clear the bench. Work on stuff you might need more practice on. The backups want to play, but they just aren't going to have the talent or skills that the starters do, so the team won't be running up the scoreboard as much.

Obviously one shouldn't deliberately play like crap; that would be poor sportsmanship as well.

Okay, there is some misinformation in this thread. Lemme try to clear some of it up.

. They're both very very small private schools in Dallas, so the number of schools they can play against is rather limited (without having to take on a huge expensive to travel far outside of Dallas). Thats why you have this talent mismatch...a competitive basketball program against a school of developmentally challenged kids. It happens for smaller private schools all over the country...I've covered basketball games like this.

In high school basketball, the typical sportsmanship rule is "don't full court press when you're up by 20". There is nothing wrong with continuing to run your offense, or playing hard when you have a big lead...but what you're SUPPOSED to do is put in your subs, switch to a half-court set, and use up a lot of the shot clock before you shoot. These guys were still pressing and jacking up threes until the end of the game. Thats low. It would be like a football team going for a fake punt when you're up by 60.

The administrator of the school that won 100-0 publicly apologized. It is a Christian school after all. The douche-hat of a coach then publicly DISAGREED with the administration policy, saying that they did nothing wrong. THATS why he was fired, and honestly, he should be for that.

I suppose this was the required reading before posting responses to anyone else, thx Red Door ;)

Seems to be conflicting reports on that, one says they stopped scoring at 100 with 4 minutes to go. How do you know what happened? They scored 12 in the 4th (true?), thats hardly indicative of throwing up 3s till the end of the game or running it up the entire game. I have to imagine subs were in, you know different? What do you as coach tell them? I dont give y'all much game time but now that I can I want you to go in there and not try. :goodjob: Nope, I want my subs playing as if the game was tied so I can see what they can do. Well, I'd go into the various reasons for letting em play but apparently honor = 82-6 and dishonor = 100-0 even if the other side cant make a basket. That kind of mentality just dont register with me...

Top Bottom