Girls Basketball Team Wins Game 100-0, Coach Fired

But who cares for good sportmanship anyway? I mean, if you could beat the crap out of the other team, then you have every right to do so. And besides this, the ref asked the losing team if they actually want to continue the game and they and they affirmed it. Isn't basketball just a game played for fun? It's an overblown decision to take the job away from a man just because his team played so well against the other one. I don't understand the reasoning of that move by the school.

:crazyeye:

So which is it?

I remember playing basketball games that our team ended up winning with a 150+ point margin.

We didn't even think to slow down after a while when the game was sealed. We played our best, all the way, out of respect for our opponents. I think it's worse when you're losing to a team that's not even making the effort to play a decent game.

All I can think of is the other leaders in a [civ3] game, when you win by domination or something but you wiped them out... something like "I had already lost, there was no need to eliminate me."

All I can think of is the other leaders in a [civ3] game, when you win by domination or something but you wiped them out... something like "I had already lost, there was no need to eliminate me."

Well, as you said in this very thread, "chess is nothing like basketball"... and Civ 3 is nothing like basketball either ;)

I agree with this

The other team lost..big deal!

So it was a big win? Big Deal!

They played better then the other team..they won..why cant people leave it at that? instead they gotta fire the coach..thats just plain stupid

That reasoning might work in professional sports, but this is high school. As a coach, you are supposed to show more wisdom and judgement and tell your players to ease down a little. You are not telling your team to shoot 3 pointers and gun for 100 in is not "honor and integrity," or whatever the BS said his players used. This coach went against his employers, the school, who realize what this action is. It has absolutely no integrity to it. When the coach (publicly) disagreed if it did, he got fired as he should have. You cannot have a coach of a high school team that disagrees with the school's values.

Please, everyone, he was not fired for running up the score. He was fired for going against the school's values. If you want to throw your pseudo-liberation cry for Coach, bring it against the school, not the game.

We didn't even think to slow down after a while when the game was sealed. We played our best, all the way, out of respect for our opponents. I think it's worse when you're losing to a team that's not even making the effort to play a decent game.

See, you can make an effort and not do this.

If the coach was smart, in the 3rd quarter, he would have called timeout and said 'we've already won this game. From now on, I don't want you girls to press any more. I don't want you to shoot until 15 seconds have gone off the shot clock. Let them bring the ball past halfcourt, and lets work on our interior defense and ball movement. If we're still open after 15 seconds, shoot the ball. No more full court presses and easy layups, lets practice a different facet of the game'

They do that, the score isn't 100-0, and everybody gets more out of the basketball game.

It is absurd that the coach had to apologize. If they don't want the teams to win then why bother even having them? If he was jeering at the other team than yes fire him, but not just because he disagreed with an absurd apology.

If the coach was smart, in the 3rd quarter, he would have called timeout and said 'we've already won this game. From now on, I don't want you girls to press any more. I don't want you to shoot until 15 seconds have gone off the shot clock. Let them bring the ball past halfcourt, and lets work on our interior defense and ball movement. If we're still open after 15 seconds, shoot the ball. No more full court presses and easy layups, lets practice a different facet of the game.

That would bereave the point of a fair game from the game itself.
The better team won, let's move on.

I can just imagine the job interview the next coach will have:

Applicant: "I'm curious... why did the previous coach leave?"

Interviewer: "He was fired because he refused to apologize for his team's winning a game."

Applicant: "Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?!" :eek: :confused:

The problem isn't the score per se but the tactics used. Running a full court press and shooting 3 pointers when you are up by 70 is ridiculous and in higher level basketball would actually be considered bad coaching. If you try to run up the score like that in the NBA or college basketball you face the risk of one of your players being intentionally injured or a huge bench clearing brawl.

If I was the coach I would have brought on my reserve team for the 2nd half of the game.

Likewise, except for "the second half of" part.

That would bereave the point of a fair game from the game itself.
The better team won, let's move on.

No, no, no, and no. And for extra emphasis: goddamnit, NO.

The Coach violated the golden rule of the fair game. This is not a professional team payed to play the game; this is a bunch of young girls trying to have some fun, but they get their egos ran over by some moron trying to put up 100 points in a girls basketball game who lets his assistants pump their fists and tells his players to shoot 3 pointers. There is no fair game here. This was poor sportsmanship and a loss of values and integrity for the game, which the schools stands for. That is why the coach was fired. Not for running up the score, but for disrespecting what his school stood for. And the school has every right to fire him for not standing in what they believe.

Morgan Wooten said:
Leadership starts at the top.

The Coach of Covenant was not a leader. Coaches have to be leaders in order to succeed. Morgan Wooten understood that and that is why his teams won again and again.

That reasoning might work in professional sports, but this is high school. As a coach, you are supposed to show more wisdom and judgement and tell your players to ease down a little. You are not telling your team to shoot 3 pointers and gun for 100 in is not "honor and integrity," or whatever the BS said his players used. This coach went against his employers, the school, who realize what this action is. It has absolutely no integrity to it. When the coach (publicly) disagreed if it did, he got fired as he should have. You cannot have a coach of a high school team that disagrees with the school's values.

Please, everyone, he was not fired for running up the score. He was fired for going against the school's values. If you want to throw your pseudo-liberation cry for Coach, bring it against the school, not the game.

So what many people here are saying is its okay for me to join a karate class and start beating the ever living piss outta 5 year olds. I'm well within my right to break their arms, legs and faces and throw them around the room like they're small sacks of potatoes. And all because it's not my fault that I got stuck with a bunch of 5 year olds so why should I hold back? I'm there to learn new skills and abilities and to use all of my new abilities and skills to their fullest extent that way I will know my limits and the limits of said skills and abilites

So what many people here are saying is its okay for me to join a karate class and start beating the ever living piss outta 5 year olds. I'm well within my right to break their arms, legs and faces and throw them around the room like they're small sacks of potatoes. And all because it's not my fault that I got stuck with a bunch of 5 year olds so why should I hold back? I'm there to learn new skills and abilities and to use all of my new abilities and skills to their fullest extent that way I will know my limits and the limits of said skills and abilites

Basketball isn't Karate though. The aim of the game is to win by throwing a ball into a basket, the aim of Karate is to beat the hell out of your opponent. Your comparison fails.

Basketball isn't Karate though. The aim of the game is to win by throwing a ball into a basket, the aim of Karate is to beat the hell out of your opponent. Your comparison fails.

That does not make the comparison fail at all actually. It is a person with some skills playing against people with little ability. The only thing wrong with the analogy is the ages, the high schoolers are all the same age we can assume, but it's like black belt vs. whatever the first belt is.

I thought downtown's comparison to a punt fake when you're ahead by 60 was a good one.

When is a better time to practice a punt fake in actual live conditions than when you're ahead by 60?

Or would you rather only try the punt fake for the first time in a clutch setting?

For high schoolers? The best time is in preseason live scrimmages if you're afraid to do it in a clutch situation. If you're a savvy coach, then you try it in the 1st quarter, when nobody is expecting it.

When you do it when you're up by 60, you look like a douchebag, and risk injury to your players.

Top Bottom