Girls Basketball Team Wins Game 100-0, Coach Fired

People, people, we are all losing sight of the bigger picture - American sports are stupid and pointless. So none of this matters.

Fixed that for you. ;)

IIRC from one article I read about this the losing team was given the option to end the game at half time and they opted to continue.

From what I understand they did not complain.

EDIT - Keep in mind this is a program that has not won a game in 4 years. So I am sure this has happened before to them.

I don't think anything could've lessened their embarrassment really... I would be embarrassed to have a game called off due to being too bad.

Having a team go easy and holding back on you would be just as humiliating.

It's up to the Ref to call quits in game, not the coach.

I would much rather a team play their best and beat me by a lot than to put on the kid gloves and condescend me because they think I'm ******ed.

Same here. I would be more humiliated by having the other school offer to forfeit because we sucked that much. Having that other school publicly state that you have mental problems and are disabled is just salt on the wounds.

I remember when I was playing netball (something like volleyball, but then you can at least hold the ball.) we had a little interschool competition. games were up to 25 and we sometimes had to play against a mixed team, so they had an advantage of 0-12 at times at the start of the game. And we beat them..hard. :lol: my former school quit the competition becuase well, we were too strong at it, we were basically, out of the league. it was dissapointing for us though, but we were quite the foul players. I aimed after the other team instead of the ground. Effective...but low in sportmanships now I think about it. :lol:

Pretty silly story, especially since no one died during the game.

sportsmanship isn't the same thing as patronizing the other team. It's not cheating, not flagrantly fouling, not trash talking, and shaking the other team's player's hands at the end of the game.

at the high school level you should be able to handle the emotional trauma of losing a basketball game(even by a huge margin). I would much rather a team play their best and beat me by a lot than to put on the kid gloves and condescend me because they think I'm ******ed.

For a game like this, the starters shouldn't have been in very long at all. There's plenty of ways for a good team to play hard; let the bench play, and treat it as an opportunity to work on fundamentals rather than showmanship.

So if I'm winning a game of chess and have a more-then-decisive material anvantage, the only "sportsmanship" course of action for me is to give some of these pieces away?

Chess is nothing like basketball.

This is the usual PC smushyness. Those disabled kids shouldn't be in the same league as able bodied kids. It is unfair on BOTH teams. The disparagy in skills means the game is probably pointless and of little enjoyment for either team.

Yes... and no...

Obviously a "bad" team like that isn't playing because they think they're going to win a league title, but for the fun and enjoyment of the game, and for something to do after school. It's high school. There's nothing on the line.

It makes sense to play games with other schools who are geographically close, there's plenty of games in the season, so why not play against anyone willing?

IIRC from one article I read about this the losing team was given the option to end the game at half time and they opted to continue.

Well, they probably wanted a chance to at least make one point. Getting shut out is no fun at all.

Were these kids physically or mentally disabled, or just had learning problems? As far as I can tell, dyslexia or ADD don't stop you from playing sports. I don't really see the problem. Maybe they practice full court press the entire time. And shooting threes ain't easy, that could be viewed as being nice.

I recall that this team regularly loses games by margins like these. Do the other coaches show a lot more sportsmanship than this guy? Because that's the only way I can see this being justified.

People, people, we are all losing sight of the bigger picture - American sports are stupid and pointless. So none of this matters.

This.

Special points go to the particular genre of high-school sports. I mean come on, who cares?

Well, 100-0 isn't that extreme in basketball, is it? I've lost soccer matches with 27-0, now that's extreme. It's character building though :)

If your team wins by such a margin then isn't this a sign that the coach makes a good job after all? Is it bad sportmansship to restrain your strenght of your team so much that the other team has a realistic chance to win or at least not to embarass themselves? No, playing as hard and good is a major point in basketball, there isn't a "mercy rule" at all, so stay off the court if you can't see a way to win.

This.

Special points go to the particular genre of high-school sports. I mean come on, who cares?
HS sports basically keeps the newspaper I write for afloat. My coverage of HS basketball is what paid for me to go to DC to see the Inauguration. In parts of America (Texas, Florida, Ohio) it is a HUGE deal.

Well, 100-0 isn't that extreme in basketball, is it? I've lost soccer matches with 27-0, now that's extreme. It's character building though :)

Anything over 35 points in basketball is a huge blowout.

This is moronic; a team should and will play at full strength, and if the other team wants to score points then they will have to practice their asses off. I don't understand why people don't realize that nothing good can come from letting them win, or even "easing up on them a bit."

I agree with this

The other team lost..big deal!

So it was a big win? Big Deal!

They played better then the other team..they won..why cant people leave it at that? instead they gotta fire the coach..thats just plain stupid

Anything over 35 points in basketball is a huge blowout.

Well, the points difference is huge, but the actual amount of points scored (100) isn't that extreme, right? (edit: looking at NBA scores) So it just means their offence sucked.

If your team wins by such a margin then isn't this a sign that the coach makes a good job after all? Is it bad sportmansship to restrain your strenght of your team so much that the other team has a realistic chance to win or at least not to embarass themselves? No, playing as hard and good is a major point in basketball, there isn't a "mercy rule" at all, so stay off the court if you can't see a way to win.

Playing according the the rules is not necessarily the same thing as good sportsmanship. Neither is playing as hard as you can, every second of the game.

Well, the points difference is huge, but the actual amount of points scored (100) isn't that extreme, right? (edit: looking at NBA scores) So it just means their offence sucked.

High school games are much shorter than professional games, though... and of course, pros are expected to be better at shooting and scoring.

The NBA plays for 48 (clock) minutes. High school sticks in my head as 30... but it's been a long time since I've watched a game. Anyone up on that?

Playing according the the rules is not necessarily the same thing as good sportsmanship. Neither is playing as hard as you can, every second of the game.

But who cares for good sportmanship anyway? I mean, if you could beat the crap out of the other team, then you have every right to do so. And besides this, the ref asked the losing team if they actually want to continue the game and they and they affirmed it. Isn't basketball just a game played for fun? It's an overblown decision to take the job away from a man just because his team played so well against the other one. I don't understand the reasoning of that move by the school.

I remember playing basketball games that our team ended up winning with a 150+ point margin.

We didn't even think to slow down after a while when the game was sealed. We played our best, all the way, out of respect for our opponents. I think it's worse when you're losing to a team that's not even making the effort to play a decent game.

Top Bottom