GOP Blocks Oil Spill Liability Bill

Incarceration and owing money are different. Crime and civil liability are different. I feel very "true" to myself, thank you.

You can certainly try but you'd probably not get your 26K. That's not what's going on here though.

What's being proposed here is a removal of a damage cap, non-specific to anyone and prior to any damages award or litigation.

I mean really, what's BP going to argue? That they would have been more cautious had they known their potential liability was larger? (Can't say that anyone in their industry, or any other industry that wants damage caps, would be too thrilled with that argument. Also they are always potentially liable for criminal penalties well beyond the cap.) Or that they wouldn't have drilled? Yeah right.

So BP signs a contract with the gov for exploritory drilling. The contract states that in the instance of an oil spill their total liability will be limited to $75 million. Then there is an oil spill. Then the gov changes the contract to $10 billion liability.

How is this different to any other contract, other than the gov makes the law and can thus simply change the rules of the game as they see fit?

There is no contract between the government and BP limiting damages. A statutory damage cap is just that--statutory.

The damages cap is a law limiting the damages that plaintiffs, such as a class action brought by Gulf coast fisherman, could sue for. The government is free to pursue a very hefty fine, much bigger than 75 mil, by filing criminal charges.

But how can there be criminal charges when the government flat out declined to require them to do what was necessary to prevent this kind of accident. It isn't that it was never conceived as a possibility, it was. It's just that the government willfully chose not to require it.

BP acted in good faith within the requirements set down by law. They should not be held responsible because the government made some decisions on what would not would not be required.

I don't think the government is absolved from blame, certainly the government as a regulatory body has failed the public. Nonetheless I don't think BP is blameless either. Personally I'd prefer a situation where BP, TransOcean, whomever, winds up paying all the cleanup costs as well as compensating citizens and other businesses for their damages, if there was indeed some sort of negligence or wrong doing going on here. I'm not under the illusion that criminal charges aren't a political move. Of course if someone did do something criminal here, then yes they should he held accountable.

The gov signed an agreement for the drilling. If any other entity entered into such an agreement is would be some kind of contract.

The rules the gov had in place at the time of the signing of the agreement governing how that agreement would operate - in this instance the limited liability - would surely if the entity was anyone other than the gov be considered as part of the terms of that agreement.

Now it seems to me the gov signed a bloody stupid agreement. BP, given they have already spent many times their liability attempting to resolve the issue, clearly agree. That the agreement was absurd does not mean that it is therefore just fine and dandy to rewrite that agreement.

No, there is no agreement of the kind you're implying. Was the Federal government paying BP to drill oil for the American people? No.

Signing off on permits and a lease are not the same thing as a contract for services between BP and the federal government, complete with some sort of limitation of liability.

Let's not get too confused here. We're talking about a law limiting damage awards, not a contract limiting liability between BP and the Feds. These are very different things.

"If you have it too high you are going to be singling out BP and the other four largest majors and the nationalized companies, such as China and Venezuela, and shutting out the independent producers," he said.

No, it really doesn't do that.

A law would force one or both of two things:

1. Companies would spend more on safety measures.
2. Companies would spend more on a higher liability coverage for their insurance against these incidences.

These oil spills don't happen frequently enough for either of these measures to bankrupt independent produces, and I'm positive a number of independent produces could band together to self-insure.

$77,000 is more important than Louisiana.

Fixed that for you.

If I sign a lease it is a contract. If you sign a lease it is a contract. Why is it not a contract if the gov signs it?

Can we at least agree it was a contract?

OJ Simpson was found not guilty of murder. Yet it was still okay for the family to sue him for her death. That's bullcrud regardless of whether he was guilty or not. It's double jeopardy any way you slice it and if you claim otherwise, you're being untrue to yourself.
The standard in the criminal trial was proof beyond a reasonable doubt. The civil trial standard was preponderance of the evidence. It is possible to be able to meet the lower standard of proof without reaching the higher one.
If I sign a lease it is a contract. If you sign a lease it is a contract. Why is it not a contract if the gov signs it?

Can we at least agree it was a contract?
BP was leasing from TransOcean. If the government signed any sort of lease, there could be a contractual limit, however, a statute is not that limit unless you peg & freeze it in the contract to be the unchanging limit. And can you really do that with regard to third parties? I could see limiting the damage contractually between contracting parties, but not limiting the damage contractually for those not a party to the contract - fishermen, widows, and orphans, for example.

Sure. I don't even know if there is a lease, I just assumed there was one.

Who cares about the lease though? A lease of drilling rights is not a contract to drill for the feds. You're still talking about two completely different things.

This is a statutory damage cap. And if there were some sort of fed/BP contract limiting liability in some manner it would only limit the parties to the contract anyway.

But how can there be criminal charges when the government flat out declined to require them to do what was necessary to prevent this kind of accident. It isn't that it was never conceived as a possibility, it was. It's just that the government willfully chose not to require it.

BP acted in good faith within the requirements set down by law. They should not be held responsible because the government made some decisions on what would not would not be required.

There is no "good faith" when someone meets the bare minimum the law allows, while knowing full well that they, for an amount of money trivial compared to the risk, install proven tech that lowers the risk.

The standard in the criminal trial was proof beyond a reasonable doubt. The civil trial standard was preponderance of the evidence. It is possible to be able to meet the lower standard of proof without reaching the higher one.

I agree with VRWCAgent; He was either guilty or he wasn't.

I agree with VRWCAgent; He was either guilty or he wasn't.
I agree. It's just the prosecutor has a tougher job of proving it than the civil lawyer, so there will be some false negatives on the criminal side that pan out on the civil side. If the civil trail was first and the civil lawyers won, does that mean we skip the criminal trial and automatically find him guilty?

Why force the family to a "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard when the burden in a civil case is mere preponderance of the evidence? Why should victims of crime be disfavored in civil court?

Why should anyone be tried for the same crime twice, regardless of whether it is once in criminal and once in civil? And please, don't give me different "titles" of crimes. HE was being prosecuted and then civilly sued because she'd been murdered, period.

He was tried twice for the same offense.

Why force the family to a "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard when the burden in a civil case is mere preponderance of the evidence? Why should victims of crime be disfavored in civil court?

Because he either committed the murder or he didn't. What *should* happen is a court figures out whether he did or he didn't and you go from there. You can't have one court saying he did and one that he didn't - for reasons of sillyness.

A "not guilty" verdict isn't saying he didn't do it. It's just saying that it wasn't proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he did it.

Top Bottom