Governments and Politics II

Response to Cern Ui Breton

-

I would remind Cern, that Caithar na Lugaid is graced by the guidance of an Archdruid, who speaks in the Great Council of Chiefs, and that all judges are supposed to be druids as well of the ordinary rank, so that their judgements can be said to be backed by divine authority, although in recent years it seems this discipline established under my father has somewhat declined. It is as such incorrect to say that the only particular positions within the druidic hierarchy are the High Druid, and his second.

That said, you do note, quite rightly, that the organisation of the druidic religion is close to becoming a necessity. Currently we stand in an unorganised state, with certain druids having particular stature within the college of clerics, and as the nation has expanded this naturally has become less able to accomadate a changed society, with the result being that anomalies, particulary regarding judges and the rightly druidic role they play, have arisen due to disorganisation and incapability to deal with currenct circumstances. Regardless any widespread organisation or reorganisation to go along with the religious renewal I champion will require divine guidance, it would be hubris in the extreme to think ourselves able to change what the gods themselves ordained to be established.

As to your suggestion, it would be false to recognise each devotional cults leader as an oracle for the god they particularly worship. Such a thing would result in the state that any individual can proclaim himself leader of a cult devoted to one or another god, and claim to speak in their name. This of course would be radically dangerous and be an easy path for the influence of the dark adversary to corrupt our holy religion. That said it would be reasonable to propose that the leader of a devotional movement, which has submitted itself to the authority of the druids and which has been found to be free of corrupt teaching, could be honoured with a title, perhaps hierarch, by which he can be recognised as the leader of a recognised devotional cult, and its establishment.

OOC: Well it appears I am an official druid, although I did have plenty of religious study and guidance in my early years, before my mentors were slaughtered. (thanks filli)

"As judge of the lower district, and given my experiences in the wilds, me being taught by elders and constantly enshrouded in the embrace of nature and the gods, I believe I am qualified in creating The Old Way.

As I have said, I do not mind having my movement checked by the High Druid, but I am not worshipping "new gods" or the "dark god". In any case, as a druid I believe that I could speak for the gods of nature, should anyone require direct connection to them."

OOC: Twould be up to Civleader to clarify that considering your studies on the matter, I noted that judges are SUPPOSED to be druids, not that they all are at the present time.

OOC: And Druidicship SHOULD be hereditary, as ravus said, but we have seen the position tossed around between your and filli's families.. so..
And yes, there were many elders and older folk in the camp I was at.

OOC: He noted that the High Druidic position is hereditary, primarily because I was the only one dealing with religion at the time and so there was no point doing some other means of picking one since it would just of resulted in either a) me, or b) an AI. That said its tradition now, so it appears we will have the High Druid being an equivalent of the Jewish High Priest rather than a Pope analogue (like what we had in the first GaP) which is elected.

As to it being focussed on filli and my own families, thats primarily due to the absence of other people interested in the area, until now that is. Now that more people are interested in religion its likely to expand. Indeed I'll likely create an Archdruid position for Dun Eideann as soon as possible, and once we get organised, religious institutions will correspondingly expand with the availability of positions correspondingly increasing.

OOC: I was indeed commenting on how the actions of Druidism no longer match the spirit and letter of its laws. Judges in particular were never chosen as druids, so if they have a druidic title it is merely a slapped on one for show, which is something that should not happen. This subject was however merely raised as a segue into pushing for more of a shake up in Prito's Religious Renewal, i.e. that he should finish what he has started. But I will reply IC to all of that later as I have to go out now. I would encourage P-fool and Jehosua to continue OOC dialogue in the social group or via PM.

Lugaid strode out of the palace with a copy of Aislinn's scroll in one hand and a water skin in the other. He made a beeline for the monument and climbed the steps to the location his wife had spoken from only days previously.
"Good people, I have listened to the talk of establishing a Cult of Cernnunos and I have read Aislinn's treatise and I agree with the Prito, that so long as these are subject to the authority of the druids they are acceptable, nay admirable, manifestations of our faith.
There is, however, something in these wilderness and hunting cults that I find lacks an essential part of our faith. This is not from any failure of those who have established these roads for the wilderness is by its' nature lacking in the aspect I speak of.

"In his writings Aislinn says, and I quote, 'We cannot hear the Call, for the business and chaos of daily life drowns out the sound.We cannot hear the Call, for the business and chaos of daily life drowns out the sound.' The 'business and chaos' he bemoans for drowning out the sound is in itself another sound." At this Lugaid gestures to the monument behind him, "It is the sound of our ancestors speaking through us. Their deeds, their hopes, their fears and their words echoing through the streets and dwellings of the city they built and which we inhabit.

"The wilderness cults do not address reverance of the ancestors for the wild lands are little touched by them. The city is where the spirits of the ancestors reside. As I walk the streets of Dun Eideann I hear the babble of people going about their lives. I hear them trade and argue, give greetings and goodbyes. But between their words I hear my father Conganches, and my uncle for whom I was named. I hear Cu Roí, the grandfather I never knew, and even Daíre, the father of my clan and his ancestors whose names are lost to the streams of time. I hear them speak in the words of the people of this city they all helped build and if you listen you too will hear the words of your ancestors.

"The gods of the lands and the river and the sea all require the reverence of men, but so to do the ancestors require the veneration of the living."

At this Lugaid unstoppered the waterskin and poured the contents over the monument as a libation.

"With the permission of the High Druid it is my intention to establish a Cult of the Ancestors to provide them with the veneration they require. This monument, built in memory of our ancestors and with the remains of Prito mac Lanicos I Boudicca interred beneath it, shall be the focus of the veneration as it has been at times of triumph and loss when we Celts demonstrate our achievements to our ancestors or take solace in their presence."

A Cult of the Ancestors would be an admirable thing, and you honour your own ancestors by submitting yourself to legitimate authority. Send me an outline of the teachings of the cult which you intend to establish and judgement shall be forthcoming. I will not grant my approval to it beyond that which has already been given to those other cults intended to be established without knowing what it would teach its devotees.

Response to Cern Ui Breton

-

I would remind Cern, that Caithar na Lugaid is graced by the guidance of an Archdruid, who speaks in the Great Council of Chiefs, and that all judges are supposed to be druids as well of the ordinary rank, so that their judgements can be said to be backed by divine authority, although in recent years it seems this discipline established under my father has somewhat declined. It is as such incorrect to say that the only particular positions within the druidic hierarchy are the High Druid, and his second.

That said, you do note, quite rightly, that the organisation of the druidic religion is close to becoming a necessity. Currently we stand in an unorganised state, with certain druids having particular stature within the college of clerics, and as the nation has expanded this naturally has become less able to accomadate a changed society, with the result being that anomalies, particulary regarding judges and the rightly druidic role they play, have arisen due to disorganisation and incapability to deal with currenct circumstances. Regardless any widespread organisation or reorganisation to go along with the religious renewal I champion will require divine guidance, it would be hubris in the extreme to think ourselves able to change what the gods themselves ordained to be established.

As to your suggestion, it would be false to recognise each devotional cults leader as an oracle for the god they particularly worship. Such a thing would result in the state that any individual can proclaim himself leader of a cult devoted to one or another god, and claim to speak in their name. This of course would be radically dangerous and be an easy path for the influence of the dark adversary to corrupt our holy religion. That said it would be reasonable to propose that the leader of a devotional movement, which has submitted itself to the authority of the druids and which has been found to be free of corrupt teaching, could be honoured with a title, perhaps hierarch, by which he can be recognised as the leader of a recognised devotional cult, and its establishment.

Cern nodded along to Prito's words as they stood with other Druids and Hunters discussing. When the young man had finished he paused to gather his words

"It is a sad state of affairs when the will of the gods is passed over for mortal simplicity." Cern held up a hand to stop any instant replies. "You yourself have stated that discipline to the way of the gods have declined, thus one could argue that the gods will does not need to be reinterpreted, merely that we should actually do what they wished us to in the first place. Those who are judges have merely been handed a Druidship instead of earning it by word or deed. Aislinn could perhaps claim true Druid status with being raised in the Sacred Grove. Yet Victarion Stark is a warrior and William Buailteoir is a researcher. Neither are Druids and to voluntarily hand over the title is to diminish it. As to the state of Caithar Na Lugaid, I have never in my long life left the city. So I only know of it's workings via here-say and rumour. Yet three Druidic positions of note does not an organisation make."

Cern glanced at his Hunting companions, lingering on the now old fashioned spears.

"As for change, nay, I do not think to change Druidism, but I do think to Champion Cernunnos. Better then most. For while I pray to Lugda for guidance and wisdom, I live with Cernunnos each day, knowing him and being with him for more then 40 years. Longer then many of you have been breathing living air. Yet I do not state that any who speak out as head of a cult should be an Oracle. That would be madness, there are many minor gods whose names are only known to certain households. Not to mention that if two cults could be set up for the same god, then whom could be said to be speaking for the god? It would be anarchy and chaos in the street. From this jealousy we both know that the Dark One would arise."

"Yet I challenge you to find anyone who is more in commune with Cernunnos then the Hunters. The idea that we would not be recognised as speakers for him, once the Druids have checked our teachings and practises and accepted us under the banner of all the Druidic Pantheon, why that too would be madness of a different sort. Our religion is one of many gods, not of one, thus no Druid can speak for all gods, to do so is to tread the path of the Jealous God themselves. They must seek out then, those that do not ask for guidance of a god, but those who are the living embodiment of what that god is. In the days of my youth that was all that was needed to be recognised as speaking for a particular god. As we submit to the Druids and the Pantheon as a whole, so do we expect that once accepted we will be treated with the respect due."

Lugaid strode out of the palace...

-

... "With the permission of the High Druid it is my intention to establish a Cult of the Ancestors to provide them with the veneration they require. This monument, built in memory of our ancestors and with the remains of Prito mac Lanicos I Boudicca interred beneath it, shall be the focus of the veneration as it has been at times of triumph and loss when we Celts demonstrate our achievements to our ancestors or take solace in their presence."

"This sounds like a wonderful idea and will help those of the city reconnect with their past. Will your Cult of the Ancestors also have worship for Arawn or merely for the spirits of those long since past?"

OOC: I will post a copy of the Cult of Cernunnos, Scroll of Shadows here and in the Celtic Mythology Thread, making it public for all.

Cern returned later that same day with a copy of the Scroll of Shadows, the collection of the cults, teachings, practises and rituals. He read from it aloud to any who asked while waiting for the High Priest to collect it.

-

The Cult of Cernunnos

The Scroll of Shadows

Spoiler :
1. The Mysteries of Cernunnos
The Horned God of the Hunt is a mystery to many, he appears as a middle aged man bearing stag antlers atop his head. Some say he was a man who killed a stag of another god. This, god, in its anger then affixed antlers to his head and cursed him to forever watch over the animals of the wilds. Others state that he is actually an animal given humanity and that he only honours those who honour the animals of the forest in turn, feeling more kin for them then to us.

He is said to be very close to a few animals in particular. Obviously the Stag, but also the ram-horned serpent, the bull, dogs and rats. He is known to be majestic and powerful as the animals, yet Just and Fair as mankind. His form and nature is the beautiful combination of the two forms of life, man and animal.

As one of the most secluded and mysterious gods, Cernunnos is best known through his actions, not through his history. But if the Druids have anything they can add with certainty then it will be included here.

2. Spiritual Concepts
~ 2.1 Cernunnos and Hunting
Hunting harkens back to a time before writing, when all knowledge was passed down by word and song. Before we had farms or other methods to feed people society was fed entirely by Hunters and Gatherers. The latter was about knowledge of what was safe to eat and during which phases of the seasons the food would grow. The former, Hunting, was as much ritual as necessity. Each hunter had to have a reverence for nature in all its beautiful and savage form. It became itself a form of worship and piety to Cernunnos.

Nature is the elements, that is known to many. Life begins with fertility and birth. But life is also in the delicate balance of all living things. The Circle of Life. A rabbit eats the grass, the rabbit is killed by a wolf, the wolf brought down by man, who dies and becomes grass. More-so sometimes the wolf may get the man... Hunters accept their place in this balance of life and death every time they venture out into the wilds. We strive to become part of it and thus we are both predator and prey alike. This has become even more valid in modern times when many animals have become enslaved to Celtia for food and resources. They are no longer wild or free.

Practises arose from these times, in many different forms. Asking for blessings for hunts, for venturing into the domain of Cernunnos, has shifted many times. Originally it was in spirit, then this grew to blood sacrifices from the animals of a previous hunt. Currently the sacrifice of a slave animal is used to balance out the taking of a free animal from the wilds.

A concept from ages past is that of Shape-Shifting, taking on the aspects of that which you kill. Challenging a bear was said to be the highest of hunts, hard to kill, yet in its death it would imbue the hunter with its own strength and savagery. Those who hunted the quick to run deer, would themselves become light of foot. You keep what you kill, both body and spirit.

~ 2.2 Other Divinities and Death
Just because a Hunter lives for Cernunnos does not mean that the other gods are meaningless or forgotten. A Hunter will often have to pray to Lugda for insight when creating his weapons, or to Dagda for a fertile supply of prey for the year, to Arawn for departed comrades and so on. Many will have personal gods or patron family gods.

I know of no history between Cernunnos and the other gods that would interfere with hunters honouring him and others and if there is such a history I ask for it to be known.

3. Practise
~ 3.1 Ethics
The Ethics of Hunters can vary dramatically from person to person. To those that emulate the care of a mother hen for its young, to those that focus on the ferocity of a bear or the divine flight of bird and its lofty ideals. Cernunnos asks for respect of the wilds, not for pacifism, rage or some balance of the two.

If there is any ethical morality of the hunters it is something Lugh Ui Breton once uttered. "An it harm none, do what ye will." It states that we are free to live and act as we will as long as it does not harm. Harm other people, harm the gods or harm the delicate balance of the circle of life. Conversely it also means that any harm you do cause, you should expect it to be returned. If the Hunters kill too much game then the animals will not breed for the next generation. If you strike a man in anger he will return the blow.

~ 3.2 Initiation
Practitioners are considered true Hunters and followers of Cernunnos when they complete their Initiation which follows the transition from city dweller to part of the Circle of Life. This will nominally take a year. A practitioner must learn the ways of the hunt, of the animals, and of the crafting of his own tools. When all their clothes are from that which they have killed, when their weapons have been crafted from the forest itself, when they have learned the rituals and knowledge needed, they will be fully connected to the divine and to the honour of Cernunnos may take the title of Hunter.

The Initiation itself will begin on the New Moon, when the night is darkest. All Initiates will be led deep into the forest where they must then use the skills learn to survive until the Full Moon. They must find their own water and game, living off the land. This will last between 13-15 days as the phases of the moon do. When they appear back at the Camp they will be judged on the prey they bring back and any spiritual experiences that occurred while alone in the Wilds.

~ 3.3 Rituals
In the camp of the Cult of Cernunnos there will be kept a room for rituals. Most of our worship will be in the forests, we are believers in doing, not of mystical pondering. But before we leave for each hunt we would have to ask for blessings. Other acts of our religion will also need to be begun or concluded with a tradition ritual, thus one room shall be kept for such.

The rituals are about opening oneself to the wild, ones awareness shall unfold like a flower into the cosmos when one accepts their place. The room will contain a alter, sacrificial knife, bowl and other Druidic necessities that they will provide for our personal supplication. Only things of nature may enter the ritual room, if a Hunter has not yet crafted his own clothing, weapons or tools then he must enter skyclad. To ask for blessings from Cernunnos while clad in clothes of animal slaves not made my your own hands would be the height of rudeness. Once rituals are finished the room is cleaned instantly before being closed and locked. None will enter until another ritual need occur.

~ 3.4 Hunting
The main method of making yourself one with nature will be in the act of hunting, once opened up from the initial ritual a Hunter will venture out to track his prey. He must use his wits and guile to find them. Sometimes running constantly sometimes staying still for hours. The best hunters tell of the moment when they truly connect with the forests and become one with it when hunting. It is in this state that true worship of Cernunnos is possible.

~ 3.5 Organization
To begin with one will join as an initiate. Practitioners must learn the ways of hunting before they can be considered a Hunter themselves. Any age may join and orphans may also be accepted into the Camp to be raised into the life. Once a true hunter their is little in the way of official formality, though some Hunters may gather together under certain honoured spirit animals, such as bears and boars. The Ui Breton clan has taken their own spirit animal the stag for their colours and emblem.

When a true currency is produced the camp community will be able to support itself by selling its kills, by offering quicker training or by throwing Grand Hunts. But for now it shall be subsidised by the moneys of my family. All of my fathers wealth, all my families saving shall be poured into this venture.

As no current Hunter is known to be a true Oracle for Cernunnos, we will have to find one. To become a true religious cult under the Celtic Pantheon we will subjugate ourselves to the Druids. In particular the High Druid, so that he may bestow upon the most worthy Hunter a title indicating that they speak for Cernunnos. With authority in place, this title will then be passed down to a chosen successor, if the owner of the title dies without choosing a successor then the cult will once again call on the High Druid to seek guidance for us.

~ 3.6 Death Rites
Hunters will be buried under a Tree Marker, to return to the circle of life as part of the trees of the forest that will nurture the wild life. My father was buried under a golden oak and I wish to be buried under the same type of tree when my time comes.

4. History
Much listed here is already practised by the Hunters. It is not so much a religious creation as writing down that which already is and asking for acknowledgement from the Druids.

By setting up a small rural community we will also be away from the constant clashing of ideologies of the city folk. Recognition is needed.

5. Demographics
We wish to set up this camp to the East of the City. But many wish to have the option of one day owning the land we hunt in and would like to have an agreement that the land could one day be bought or bargained from its current owner before proceeding. If this cannot be finalised then my family has recently come into a forest of our own that could be used.

Worshipers of Cernunnos will mainly come from Hunting families who will do nothing else but Hunt their whole lives. However, once the community is set up it will be easier to train new people in the art of hunting. Hopefully we can help start a renewal in this aspect of Celtia so that Hunting can become a part of many lives, even those who live mainly in the city will be welcome in the forests if they can learn to harness their own strength while respecting their prey.

6. Future
Once we have recognition and the community set up we will examine our relationship with Cernunnos more closely. Finding new ways to honour him.

The new weapons of this age will be examined for their use in hunting. We may try to use bronze tips for spears but only if the process of smelting and forging is easy enough for people to master individually. For the most part we see a lot of promise in archery. Bows can be created entirely from the wilds and can allow a hunter to target his prey from an even longer distance then spears.

While slave animals are of lesser value spiritually then free wild ones, their nature and uses should be examined. The hunters will look into whether domesticated birds can carry messages or if domesticated large animals may become beasts of burden. Although I am told the likely hood of enslaving a bear for this cause is very small.

Public Speech:

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is in need of men to serve as ambassadors to foreign lands. As Celtia grows, so will her interaction with the outside world. To maintain the interests of Celtia we must establish and maintain diplomatic relations with foreign nations, and in this pivotal time of first interaction this is most effectively accomplished by having one of our own visit and interact with foreign leaders personally. Currently our highest priority is to establish relations with Spain, the Maya and Carthage (for obvious geo-political reasons) and maintain/improve relations with Egypt. If you have any interest in a position please contact the ministry (via PM)

Minister Ernan Mac Doutatis of Foreign Affairs

Conclusion Update

The sun of an old era sets after the last tempest has blown.

The aftermath of rebellions and violence will be a scar in Celtia's history and society. Life is worth little, and it is taken away for low prices. Assassinations have become part of politics, decreasing the value of life. Impunity in times of crisis is high.

But not all is bad news, Nobles and society is seeing the beginnings of a healing process. An Aronokath, proclaiming peace and apologizing for crimes his ancestors committed, has been accepted into nobility. He has thrown a feast after a procession to Stonehenge that will last in the minds of people in the city. Peopl are starting to support and recognize the Queen even more, and things look bright.

Yet outside the city and evil lurks. It was reported that the newly appointed minister of culture was killed while traveling to the sacred groves. Apparently, the injuries from which death was caused were made by raiders. The Queen has promised to give the position to the child of Cern MacLugh Ui Breton upon becoming of age.

The waters are calming, and more insidious and subtle politics might await the kingdom. Now, some eyes have turned to the world around us. Is a new era beginning? Only time will tell.

Deaths
Cern MacLugh Uí Bréton

Session 7 is now over. Grace period has begun.

I see I have several posts to read, which I will get to tomorrow

ooc: Cern MacLugh Ui Breton was Minister of Domestic Affairs IIRC ;)

Response to the Cult of Cernunnos

-

I have read the doctrines outlined in this cults sacred scrolls, and can see nothing heretical or abominable within them, nor anything contrary to the druidic religion of which it is a part. This cult is as such acceptable to the gods, and all those who find a particular calling along the path of the Lord of the Hunt should feel free to become special devotees of Cernunnos through this devotinoal cult. As a token of my personal approval, and considering the unfortunate death of Cern Ui Breton at the hands of badits, I shall furthermore personally oversee this cults establishment. The disciples of Cern, and other travellers on the way of the hunt should correspond with myself to ensure that all necessary things are done appropriately for the glory of Cernunnos, and so that a suitable replacement for Cern, with genuine experience at the hunt, and in the spiritual way of Cernunnos can be established as the cults leader with my blessing. In addition if funds are required for any of the cults religious purposes, I shall provide it if I can do so within my own means.

On other matters, I still await similar detailed doctrinal statements, from the proposed Cult of the Ancestors, and the same in addition to a statement of submission to the authority of the druidic establishment (as compared to an individual druid) from what I shall call for the purposes of recognition, the Cult of the Ancient Way.

OOC: Good job I got my official scroll in publicly, dying before that could have really screwed up some plans. Luckily those plans will now go ahead to the annoyance of some I am sure.

Cern was indeed the Minister of Domestic affairs although he didn't get to do anything really. I am glad that the High Druid has so graciously allowed the cult to be created now that my character is dead for this transition phase.

I guess I will just have to update the History Book Cern wrote before his death during the transition.

OOC: I suppose your hunter cult will have to manage via proxy under my benevolent gaze considering that like moses, its founder died before its emergence into the promised land of established religious existence. At least until your characters son gains the gravitas and spiritual kudo's to assume a leadership role amongst the hunters, after that your thing will be left to manage itself :p

OOC: I suppose your hunter cult will have to manage via proxy under my benevolent gaze considering that like moses, its founder died before its emergence into the promised land of established religious existence. At least until your characters son gains the gravitas and spiritual kudo's to assume a leadership role amongst the hunters, after that your thing will be left to manage itself :p

(OOC conversation is because i'm dead, not because it is off topic.)

OOC: It may not manage at all, proxy or not. Cern was a good law abiding citizen and was waiting until he had official recognition before performing the action to set up the Cult...

OOC: Thus why the High Druid is stepping in to what would of been Cerns role (with the exception of actual day to day leadership and participation) in regards to establishing the cult.

OOC: Thus why the High Druid is stepping in to what would of been Cerns role (with the exception of actual day to day leadership and participation) in regards to establishing the cult.

OOC: Oh... so now my cults going to have even MORE Druidic oversight then I originally planned? :p Well so long as the start up costs come out of your pocket and not mine go right ahead.

PS: I hope someone does take Dot up on his offer, we really need information on the other countries.

OOC: yes, dots offer stands, and volunteerism is only good for a players career advancement. .. I'm thinking of a certain Ork and various others... (PS: plus think of all the business amongst other opportunities in those currently unknown foreign empires :p)

Top Bottom