1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Goz-12 - 5CC - Large map - Space Race

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by gozpel, May 13, 2006.

1. Andronicus

Andronicus Emperor

? do we have embassy with Liz - if we do we could wait till she is at war with someone else. With Germans next door war cant be far away.

2. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

No embassy with England yet, but if we do the Lit-deal and turn off research for a couple of turns we can buy one. But personally I would just go to war and cross my fingers. :) Research is important now and we need a new gov.

For research, I think we want to go for Republic, so CoL and Philo at max possible (no deficit, please!). It will take a while, but it's in our best interest to get a new gov as soon as possible.

We should/could start a war against England with 6-8 swords to take out Oxford and Leeds. I'm not sure, but they have a few warriors and archers in the area, so it will be tricky and we might need maybe 8-10 swords?

Other swords/spears will have to defend especially Rojo, where English warriors are skulking along around our borders. IF we have to, take all swords from Seoul when the time comes and increase luxtax. The city is on 10-11spt, so when we go for it a couple of spears from there will do us good.

3. Andronicus

Andronicus Emperor

Is buying max poss techs from England with gpt, then making her angry with demands prior to telling her to get out or dow an allowable exploit of dumb AI?

4. zerksees

zerksees in remission

To me it is.
    Since we are weak she will probably fall for it.

5. zerksees

zerksees in remission

Highlights:

Preflight. Follow gozpels advice and buy lit for 4gpt and 7 gold. Change Pyong to library. Looks like the worker chop and the shields will finish the library next turn.

730 BC – Argh – I missed by one shield in Pyong. Starting to move swords to Nampo

IBT - 5 civs start Sun Tzu

710BC - In turn 2 set science to 60%, was able to cut lux to 10%

670 BC – Had to cut science to 50% to avoid deficit research

650 BC – met the Byzantines. They lack Code of Laws. We were researching it, so we buy from France for 12 gpt +39 gold.

Make a little trade with Theodora. Buy philosophy, horseback riding, masonry giving code of laws, 8 gpt and 13 gold. Some civs lack republic.

Running real tight on gold so I could not research at minimum each turn, or even a scientist. Got about 3 turns of min research after that on republic.

590 BC – we have 4 gold and 0 gpt. Russia demanded 4 gold on the IBT. We give it. The next turn several new units produced. We are teeming with units with practically no gold to cover it.

Somewhere near here Sistine was started by the Celts

Decided to make the move on England.

570 BC – Drop 6 swords in the woods by Oxford.

550 BC – Three spears fall costing us one sword and Oxford falls. City is razed. We did get an elite promotion. Also took out one archer.

There is a fortified swordsman who can take out the warrior by Nampo if you choose.

Hope I have not sealed our doom.

Attached Files:

6. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

Everything sounds good, zerksees, I can't see any signs of doom-sealing :)
    As soon as Lizzy's stack comes to visit our lands, unit support won't be our main concern.

I'm already up? Look like I'm having a :devil: turnset this time. I have time today and tomorrow morning too, but I'd like to hear some opinion from the team. If I'm able to sign peace before English troops arrive, should I do it or wait to get some techs?

I mean, if I feel I can kill them with our swords, I'll do so, but if there are too many, are we up any techs on England? Otherwise I'll just have to cross fingers, I guess, or ... give cities :hmm:

7. zerksees

zerksees in remission

We have no techs the English don't. At 570 BC they were up three visible techs. On the tech front about the only hope you have for a bargaining chip is to get republic and give it to them. Since they don't have iron, I suspect that the best way out is to whack a bunch of their units. I made 4-1 in our favor. If you can keep up tose odds you'll be fine.

Obviously holding out to get techs is your call. For my part even trade for peace would be adequate.

8. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

Preturn:
    I decide to attack that warrior, hoping for a promotion. Sword wins, but loses 2 HP and doesn't promote.
    Enter

Turn 1: 530 BC
    We're booted out of several nation, so I disband some exploring warriors that have nowhere to go.
    Seoul Spear -> Sword, we're short on cash and unit support is a factor here.
    3 (three) English warriors enter our territory. Nothing to fear so far.

Turn 2: 510 BC
    Nampo Wall -> Sword
    One English warrior moves back, one is killed, one new comes.

Turn 3: 490 BC
    BB Temple -> Granary, Pyong Spear -> Sword
    England moves 2 Swords and 1 Archer next to our border. All regular :p

Turn 4: 470 BC
    It's become harder to find safe places for workers while still improving lands.

IT: a couple of English Galleys pass BB heading south.

Turn 5: 450 BC
    Rojo Sword -> Sword

IT: 2 Swords attack Nampo, both die, one our Spear is now Elite
    So far, it looks like we're going to have to go offensive to get any techs... :devil:

Turn 6: 430 BC:
    Killed two Warriors with two Swords
    Kill ratio so far: 6-0 :)

Turn 7: 410 BC
    Kill one Warrior, two Archers and a Sword losing a Sword (Agains the Archer - RNG), then lose a Sword to a Spearman next to Rojo.
    The English are trying to pillage our land, so I have to expose our Swordmen.

Turn 8: 390 BC
    Lizzy is willing to talk. She'll give Mysticism for peace, and I say LOL.
    Kill 1 Sword and one Archer. Ratio is now 11-2.
    Not a Single English unit in sight. Look like we're free to attack them

IT: several English Galley move pass BB, now heading North.
    The unload a single Sword next to BB. We have reinforcements there, but also a stack of unprotected workers.

Turn 9: 370 BC
    Pyond Sword -> Sword, Nampo the same.
    A lot of wonder starting.

IT: Sistine built in Entremont, that English sword kill a Spear but gets redlined.

Turn 10: 350 BC
    Rojo grows and is about to riot, hire a Scientist.
    Killed that Redlined Sword, so the ratio becomes 12-3, exactly as zerksees ordered. :)

Elizabeth will now give either Myst or Math, but not MM (that's all she has). I don't think we should accept that deal, because they are no threat to us. Let's just keep killing them and we'll get more out of it.

The front:

Attached Files:

9. zerksees

zerksees in remission

Nice job Pentium.

Next turnset we should resume on some of our culture buildings and infrastructure.

Our original plans called for taking Leeds too. Since we are doing well we might add Liverpool to the list.

10. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

Taking cities won't really do much good IMO, unless we're planning to take out an entire civ (not yet and especially not England, we're going to need them later) because they'll just resettle them and get strong culture in them very soon. I don't have a lot of xCC experience, so I may be wrong, but that's what my feeling tells me. Maybe Leeds for its position, but not Liverpool, because they'll probably settle in the very same spot.

I'd rather focus on infra now, but more importantly on techs. First get all 3 techs out of England, and than I'd start building Libs only when we get Republic or just before it. AI's are building wonders like Sistine, and we can only hope they won't start Copernicus' quite soon.

BTW, speaking of Liverpool, does its name comes from "living pool", "pool for livers" or "pool, full of liver"? I've been wondering...

11. zerksees

zerksees in remission

Played 2 so far:

gozpel
    zerksees
    Pentium

up next?
    Whomp
    Andronicus
    Simple Monkey

Technically whomp is next but I am not sure how firm you guys want to be on roster order.

On Liverpool - I would hope that our cultural influence would cause them to settle on tile further away, plus they would have to start over on culture. Also - maybe it will net us another tech.

Whoever is next don't forget you will be freeing up some gold about halfway through your turnset as the gpt deals will be ending.

12. gozpel

Excellent job both of you. :)

If it would be possible, I would like to get rid of all english towns that touches our borders, they might plop down new towns, but they have to build up their culture there again.

For libraries, we want them right away. They are cheap and culture is our best friend is this game. Then we want that temple in Seoul as well, plus all other happy-buildings te future allow us to build. They are almost more important than military :lol: well almost anyways.

And don't forget those markets when we have Currency. We need to get that peace soon, preferably with a couple of tech in the deal so we can concentrate on that infra.

13. SimpleMonkey

SimpleMonkey King

What I wanna know is: Where did Liz all of a sudden get her iron from? We don't have the cash now, but we're gonna need embassies to see who's dealing what, among other things.

Agree that Leeds has to go. Liverpool and maybe even Norwich to make Liz cry and also push back her borders a bit. Her placement of Norwich makes me suspect that there's salt around there.

I'm not able to play until next Friday night at the earliest, so Whomp and Andronicus have a chance to show off first. :)

14. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

I just got back in town and have SGOTM10 to play tonight so I will try Tuesday or Wednesday if Andronicus can pick up first.

15. Andronicus

Andronicus Emperor

Go with first round roster Whomp
    I'm likely up in SGOTM10 soon so no hurry

Leeds claims 2 tiles from us and Liverpool 1 so they must go :ar15:

16. gozpel

I forgot to reply to this before, I do allow this exploit in my games. I don't think it is as much of an exploit as palace-jumps and ship-chaining and after all, this one can backfire.

So if/when we're in the position to boot sour AI's after paying dearly for their techs, I have no problems with it. I've been stuck more than once paying good gpt for 20 turns to a civ I really wanted war with. So it is a gamble.

I also buy stuff for gpt and then try to steal, it's no real difference. It's up to us to be prepared for both war or peace for another 20t. :)

We can do lots of things, as long as it doesn't kill our reputation.

17. Whomp

OK playing now. Sorry for the delay. It's been full on feast mode for Whomper. Goz when are you going to take a turn in the MTDG? You're letting Scout and Grahamiam have all the fun! :D

18. Whomp

OK I'm going to stop here. We got an MGL. I presume we want to make a sword army but then again maybe not. Thoughts?

19. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

The options:

Rushing: FP isn't available, other buildings are too cheap to be worthy.

Building an Army:
    a) A sword army: Good for pointy stick, probably enables HE.
    b) Wait until Muskets, then go wacking around with H'wachas.

I'd go with a Sword army, because we want this war to end ASAP and still get all Lizzy's techs out of it. Then we can build HE when our cities run out of stuff to build.

20. SimpleMonkey

SimpleMonkey King

Sword army. Pointy stick research. Pain and chaos (theirs). Please proceed.