Great Chief Rain-in-the-face of the Sioux: 3d animated era-specific leaderhead + pcxs

#RACE_SIOUX
^The Sioux are $LINK<agricultural and industrious=GCON_Strengths>. They start the game with $LINK<pottery=TECH_Pottery> and $LINK<masonry=TECH_Masonry> and build $LINK<mounted
braves=PRTO_Mounted_Warrior> instead of normal $LINK<horsemen=PRTO_Horseman>.
^
^The Sioux are a grouping of bands and tribes that spoke the common language called [Siouan]. In their own language
they are also called the Dakotas, Lakotas or Nakotas. Among the best known Sioux tribes are the Hunkpapa, Oglala, Brule,
Miniconjou, Sans Arcs, Wahpeton, Wahpetkute, Yankton and Assiniboine.
^
^When Europeans first arrived, the Sioux tribes were mainly woodland dwellers, living along the upper Mississippi River in
parts of what is now Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and North and South Dakota. They lived in permanent earth lodges and cultivated
crops. When their traditional enemies to the east, the Chippewas, obtained firearms from the Dutch and French traders, the Sioux
were at a disadvantage in warfare. Many of the Sioux tribes moved west to the Missouri River and then past it.
^
^The Sioux that settled around the Black Hills of South Dakota, in Montana, and in Wyoming aquired the use of the horse by the
early 1700s. The horse revolutionised their culture. It made them better hunters and fighters, allowed travel over greater distances
and with better speed, and allowed greater loads to be carried. The western Sioux, like other Plains tribes, became predominantly
nomadic, living in the familiar teepees that could be erected and taken down easily. This allowed the group to follow migrating
buffalo herds that provided much of their food and raw materials. At least 86 non-food uses for parts of buffalo have been counted,
such as blankets, clothing, threads, tools and fuel.
^
^In warfare on the plains, bravery was measured by "counting coup," the object of which was to touch a living enemy in battle. Coup
could be counted by touching with a special coup stick, or other weapon, or the bare hand. Each successful coup earned the right to
wear an eagle feather. After counting coup, more feathers could be earned by killing and scalping the enemy just counted. Great honour
was earned by capturing an enemy's possessions, especially his eagle feathers that could now be worn by the victor.
#DESC_RACE_SIOUX
^
^
^The emphasis on individual bravery helped make the Sioux and other Plains Indians outstanding warriors. They have been called the finest
light cavalry ever. The cultural importance of individual action made fighting them unique. Their leaders could only decide where the battle
would be fought. Once closed with the enemy, the leaders became individual warriors themselves and could not presume to tell others where to
go or who to fight. Each individual had the right to select his enemy and engage him.
^
^The fate of the Sioux on the Plains is the familiar one of coping with ever-shrinking hunting grounds because of the encroachment of European
settlers. In addition, the buffalo herds were slaughtered by whites for their tongues and hides to the point of near extinction. Successive
treaties with the United States were broken as more and more settlers came west hungry for land. The discovery of gold in the Black Hills meant
the Sioux had to concede that area as well. With their hunting grounds and food sources disappearing, they were eventually forced into
submission. By the turn of the twentieth century the remaining Sioux were settled on reservations and largely dependant on the government
for subsistence.

City list
Little Bighorn
Wounded Knee
Cedar Creek
Stony Lake
Bear Paw
Point of Rocks
Buffalo
Wood Lake
Raging Brook
Big Mound
Running Bear
Silver Moon
Wildcat Valley
Three Forks
Great River
Seven Brothers
Red Cloud
Snake Canyon
First Wind
Yellowtree
Morning Rock
Killdeer
Slim Buttes
Muddy Water
Elk River
Ghost Island
Cockleburr Falls
Rosebud Creek
Spirit Lake
Hole In The Wall
Powder River
Stone Made Peak
Greasy Grass River
Medicine Wheel Mt
Chief's Crag

Military leaders
Sitting Bull
Shenandoah
Cornplanter
Tecumseh
Stormcloud

Scientific leaders
Guyasuta
Old Smoke
Five Feathers
Running water
Bear Stalker

ShiroKobbure said:
your clothing is sooo much cooler than mine T----T
Great choice of the background. You have such a unique style.
do you mind if i post your info on my head?
Thanks for the compliments - of course I don't mind if you post my info on your leaderhead's thread! Like I said in your thread, strange that we should both suddenly go back to a previously unreleased Sioux leaderhead and post it within 24 hours of each other!

Well you've been told how excellent this one is already Rob. The fabric details and skin quality are well worth mentioning again though!

The clothing fabric has been changed. Hopefully this looks better ;) . Incidentally, I forgot to mention - please vote for this leaderhead in the forthcoming leaderhead of the month for April :) !

EDIT: I've given the unit darker trousers, made the shoes civ colour and changed the shield so that it has a buffalo in the centre and a civ colour ring around it :undecide: .

Nice work R8XFT. Does anyone know if there are any native american city graphics(tee-pee) to go with these recently released Indian leaderheads????

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
1. Its not "Indian" its Native American, and 2. :) Yes there are graphics, check the city graphics libruary, Redalert made a complete set..:)

Easy Swoogy, I used both terms that refrence these people and ment no disrespect by it. Did you grow up playing cowboys and Native American's or cowboys and Indians? ;)

Actually if you want to be technical they prefer to be called the Lakota "the people" SIOUX is actually a derogative term. R8XFT great job on the leaderhead and that UU is looking really good cant wait for its release.

I've always thought "Native American" a pretty silly term anyway, given that it simply means someone born in America. "Indigenous American" would be much more sensible.

But an excellent LH, as I've commented when it's been previewed before. Love the horns in the hat!

1. Rob...I hate to say it but that units looks as Native American as the Princess units looks like an Afriacan; Native AMericans didn't use shields and stuff like that.
2. The industrial ages one dosne't look like a Native American...it must be hard to became Native American units from Leeds.
3. Other than that GREAT!

William GBTW said:
1. Rob...I hate to say it but that units looks as Native American as the Princess units looks like an Afriacan; Native AMericans didn't use shields and stuff like that.
2. The industrial ages one dosne't look like a Native American...it must be hard to became Native American units from Leeds.
3. Other than that GREAT!
Please take time to read my earlier post in this thread:
R8XFT said:
I'm now working on the Sioux Guard unit. This is historically inaccurate and just for fun ;) .

Top Bottom