Greatest 90s rock band

I have to say that that album has got to be one of the weirdest things I've ever heard and I listen to Interpol.

Let's not kid ourselves into pretending that there's anything weird about Interpol. You think NMH is weird because you listen to Interpol.

While there are many noteworthy bands listed, I think I have to the conclusion that Hum was probably the best "90's" band if you can classify music as such. Hum beats all other 90's bands on just about every metric you can imagine: Raw talent, production quality, emotion, meaning, lyrics, thought... There's simply no match, and I consider Pearl Jam to my favorite band. While I think that Pearl Jam is an incredible band on all those same measures, Hum exceeds them in all but vocal talent. Both You'd Prefer an Astonaut, and Downward is Heavenward are monumental musical achievements that were well ahead of their time, and are timeless in their own right.

Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and the Smashing Pumpkins do come in a close second in terms of musical quality.

I feel that In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is also an astonish musical achievement. It is pure brilliance, raw in emotion, produced wonderfully. It's beautiful and brutal, unique and unforced. It's references to WWII and Anne Frank are impeccably done and mirror Magnum's inner issues very well. Although I'd say this is a top five record of all time, NMH is not the best of the decade, as the majority of their work is very amateurish, has terrible production quality, and reminds me of Handful of Peter, the late years (See Family Guy.)

Nirvana, I really don't know why Nirvana even begins to enter the equation when you're talking about the best. Nirvana is good on many merits, but there are dozens of bands that came out of the 90's that crush them on every measure, to include the bands the gave rise to them.

Alice in Chains, while worthy, tends to fall short of a some of the other bands. To be certain, they were absolutely talented. But their early records were commercialized and contrived, their last record seemed forced in one singular particular direction. While Jar of Flies is indeed an absolute masterpiece, some of their other work and their inability to mature is major drawback when you compair them to Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, or the Smashing Pumpkins.

How did I forget Weezer? There is so much good music from the 90's :crazyeye:

Pinkerton was a groundbreaking album, and deserves to be recognized as such, but to call the band the best of the 90s is ludicrous.

You mean In the Aeroplane Over the Sea or On Avery Island? Either is weird as hell, but both are amazing. Plenty of other material out there by them- or him, Jeff Magnum being the primary force behind the whole thing. Very strange lyrics and music, but it works and even though it all seems nonsensical it makes sense. Sort of.

I meant Aeroplane because of the whole Ann Frank thing.

Pinkerton was a groundbreaking album, and deserves to be recognized as such, but to call the band the best of the 90s is ludicrous.

I don't think that it is the best band of the 90's. Had a list of good bands on the other page and I forgot them is all.

A verb, Senator, we need a verb!

That said, I dunno, but I like RHCP

how bout the Blue Album?

I loved that one.

RHCP, I can't believe I forgot them - they definitely have my vote as greatest.

I grew up in the nineties so I'm rather nostalgic. Call me crazy but I think I liked this decade's music more than the 90's, but I think that may have more to do with sheer quantity in my music collection.

Artists I really like from the nineties that haven't been mentioned: Jeff Buckley, Kyuss, Melvins, Incubus, Primus, Local H, Ben Folds Five, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.

Nirvana is my favorite band. So. Take a guess.

For me? The Magnetic Fields, hands down. My Bloody Valentine released their most famous and best album, Loveless, in the 90s. Most of the good Belle and Sebastian is from the 90s as well.

The lack of Green Day love is disturbing. But Nirvana also sprung to mind. So I can't hate on you guys for that.

The lack of Green Day love is disturbing. But Nirvana also sprung to mind. So I can't hate on you guys for that.

Oh Greenday, just gotta love those same three power chords...

Regarding Green Day, their first single opened up "Do you have the time to listen to me whine", and I was like, nope. Moving along...

Green Day had a complete mastery of timbre.

so...

Are any of the band choices that you folks chose unexplainable by the fact that you grew up listening to them?

:)

There are a lot of quality bands listed, it's too hard to choose. Personally my favourites are (in no particular order) Radiohead, Pixies, Soundgarden, RATM, Tool. EDIT: Muse released a great record too.

It must be said though, that Pixies were making excellent '90s music, just they were doing it ten years earlier than everyone else.

Can any of the band choices that you folks chose unexplainable by the fact that you grew up listening to them?
Can you name anything created in the 90's that meets the proper "aesthetic criterion" of being good music?

As much as I love radiohead, they made all of their good stuff in the 00's. So Pearl Jam, RHCP, Nirvana, U2, Offspring and the swedish band Bob Hund (awesomeawesomeawesome) gets into my nominations.

Top Bottom