Guess the Map VIII: Didn't Color the Island Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsoring nations of the 500 scientists on Svalbard?

lolno

Svalbard has 2000 people, of which 500 are scientists that don't live there.

I've heard there's some small university there that's very international, arctic studies or whatever. Scientists and students from around the world.

Maybe it's that silo there? Where they stored the seeds of plants. Countries that have donated seeds to the seedbank. That's it.

I've heard there's some small university there that's very international, arctic studies or whatever. Scientists and students from around the world.

Maybe it's that silo there? Where they stored the seeds of plants. Countries that have donated seeds to the seedbank. That's it.

No, it's nothing that obscure.

Just search for Svalbard on google or something.

Countries with UNESCO World Heritage Sites in them?

Svalbard Treaty. Took me 3 minutes. Wow what a question! :hatsoff:

EDIT: Didn't classical_hero guess that already? Kind of seems to me that he did.

Svalbard Treaty. Took me 3 minutes. Wow what a question! :hatsoff:

EDIT: Didn't classical_hero guess that already? Kind of seems to me that he did.

Very good. I give the next turn to you.

I have absolutely no idea why Afghanistan bothered to sign the treaty.

The most active participant on Svalbard after Norway was the Sovjet union, and to this day there is a town of russians and ukrainians on Svalbard, called Barentsburg. They apparantly like to do what the authorities don't want. I think I remember someone from Svalbard say there still is a sort of cold war there.

Very good. I give the next turn to you.

I have absolutely no idea why Afghanistan bothered to sign the treaty.

The most active participant on Svalbard after Norway was the Sovjet union, and to this day there is a town of russians and ukrainians on Svalbard, called Barentsburg. They apparantly like to do what the authorities don't want. I think I remember someone from Svalbard say there still is a sort of cold war there.

Not sure about the cold war, but I do know that the treaty was signed (1920) after the main competitior of Norway, the Russian Empire had disappeared. Hence advantageous conditions for that country.

Anways, here's an easy one to get it out of the way:

Attachments

• goksndgsdfqcx.jpg
    goksndgsdfqcx.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 88
This whole Svalbard conversation had me running off to SATW to look up old comics about shooting polar bears. :lol:

And a guess: Iron Curtain-era map, but US and USSR same color. Levels of power/hierarchies in the Cold War?

EDIT: Is there a scale, or are their combinations of colors?

'NUTHER EDIT: Something to do with belligerents of the various proxy wars (Korea/Vietnam/etc.)?

Something to do with nukes?

No and there's sort of a scale.

Is it somehow related to the situation post-WWII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom