Guess the Map VIII: Didn't Color the Island Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sites where Minoan pottery has been found outside of Crete?

Places in Greece not even Greeks care about? (Yes, I'm looking at you, Attica)

Could have been, but unfortunately Asia Minor in not yet back in Greece ;)

Ok, some more clues:

It is about famous people who are linked somehow. ;)

Really, you should be able to find it now. You would have if you had bothered to check some map of ancient Greece, or at least would have more clues by then :)

These people were all students of Aristotle or generals of Alexander.

That would be the age of the Greek tyrants, right? Solon and the rest? This is probably the sort of thing that only Dachs would get. :)

Aah. οι επτα σοφοι, the Seven Sages of Greece. I thought that one of the coloured locations was Corinth. :)

:/

There is Sparta on that map

It is about famous people, one from each of the states colored. They are somehow linked.
Oh? Sparta was never allied with Athens? I thought they were. Notably against the Persians. Still...

I know they didn't always get on.

What do I know? Very little about classical Greece, I admit.

Aah. οι επτα σοφοι, the Seven Sages of Greece. I thought that one of the coloured locations was Corinth. :)

Correct :)

One of them was from Corinth though, which indeed is one of the regions in color ;)

From wiki:

Cleobulus of Lindos: "Moderation is the best thing." He governed as tyrant of Lindos, in the Greek island of Rhodes, circa 600 BC.

Solon of Athens: "Keep everything with moderation." Solon (c. 638–558 BC) was a famous legislator and reformer from Athens, framing the laws which shaped the Athenian democracy.

Chilon of Sparta: "You should not desire the impossible." Chilon was a Spartan politician from the 6th century BC, to whom the militarization of Spartan society was attributed[citation needed].

Bias of Priene: "Most men are bad." Bias was a politician and legislator of the 6th century BC.

Thales of Miletus: (c. 624 BC – c. 546 BC) Thales is the first well-known philosopher and mathematician. His advice, "Know thyself," was engraved on the front façade of the Oracle of Apollo in Delphi.

Pittacus of Mytilene (c. 640–568 BC), governed Mytilene (Lesbos) along with Myrsilus. He tried to reduce the power of the nobility and was able to govern with the support of the popular classes, whom he favoured. He famously said "You should know which opportunities to choose."

Periander of Corinth (fl. 627 BC): he was the tyrant of Corinth in the 7th and 6th centuries BC. During his rule, Corinth knew a golden age of unprecedented stability. He was known saying "Be farsighted with everything."

So, three were explicitly tyrants and three others were legislators as well. I wasn't too far off anyway. :)

http://www.estcube.eu/en/home

I demand a recoloring. :mad:

Again.
:lol:
I believe tat in that website they're spelling 'Viro' wrong.
:/

There is Sparta on that map
Nonononono, no. It. Is. Spartē!
*facepalm emote* I've been reading on the Seven Sages of Greece, and while i'm offline someone decides to start a new map and it is solved before I rejoin the Matrix Internet.

Given that I was spitting out the few bits of Classical Greek history that I could even partially remember, do feel free to take the map then, Takhisis. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom