Here comes Mom and Dad joining Facebook

Would you accept a friend request from a parent?

• Total voters
I could care less.

Mom already knows I drink, do illegal substances, and do other adult things. She respects me as an adult and worries for me as her child.

I've also earned her trust.

If you're still a minor, you probably shouldn't have a choice in the first place.

Hells no! :mad: Don't get me wrong. I love my folks and I owe them everything. But that's where I draw the line!

Not to sound mean, but I wouldn't. I tend to keep my social life away from my parents.

No way. Here's a tip for avoiding parent's friend requests: Just don't respond to it. If you ignore it they can just try again, or else they can quickly figure out that you're rejecting the requests. If you just don't respond there's nothing they can do and it won't be brought to their attention unless they really go digging.

I have no particular reason for not wanting my Mum to see my facebook profile, but if I ever think of one I'll be glad I didn't accept.

Facebook went to hell went it got opened to the general public, and applications made it nearly unusable. If I didn't already have an account, there's no way in hell I'd make a new one now.

My mom has a facebook account, she hasn't tried to add me. If she did, I'd probably ignore the request as a matter of habit, not that there's anything online about me that I'd object to anyone seeing.

First Facebook was only open to College students, then it was opened to High Schoolers, and then moved to the public. What's next?

MY parents knowledge of the internet and it's features spans the spectrum of what I've taught them.

They don't even know what facebook is. :)

Allowing the common public into Facebook was a huge mistake.

I thought about that, but its also had some advantages for me:

1) If you use the marketplace to buy or sell goods (like I do), it hugely expands your market. Instead of just selling textbooks, used video games, or whatever, to people at your school, you can open it up to your entire city, and skip taxes. I actually buy most of my books via facebook, and a lot of those come from outside "my network"

2) It makes advertising events easier, be that for my band, or a charity project that involves other people in my city

The real downfall, has been those stupid stupid applications. I can think of maybe 4 that are kinda cool. I don't want to be a zombie, or a vampire, or a knight, or whatever. Make it stop.

What all these people said, plus Facebook is a threat to the national security of Norway. (No, really! Links in Norwegian.)

I really have very little sympathy.

What he said.
And that facebook is a threat to corporate secrets and makes people (ironically, older people more than younger) vulnerable to identity theft by having the wrong friends or friends having the wrong friends.

I really have even less sympathy.

No not my parents, but I do have my little sister on Facebook so I can keep an eye on her....though I suppose that was me adding her rather than the other way around...heh....

Actually it doesn't really matter because my Facebook account is more or less fake. I don't have any real information on it. I use it mainly to harass people in my network.

Some of my friends have teachers...yes teachers on their friends list. I post absolute crap on their walls on purpose full of profanity, and sex, and illegal stuff on purpose...ahahahha most of them block me because of that...haha nerds....they deserve it. For instance I posted something on my friends wall, about building a giant amusement sex park, and went into great details about things. And the next post after mine was my teacher's....ahahhhaahhaha I was liek WTF!! But it was pretty funny cuz I don't care.

First Facebook was only open to College students, then it was opened to High Schoolers, and then moved to the public. What's next?

Mandatory accounts. :scared:

I would have no problem with my parents adding me. I can understand that some people would if they had quite conservative/religious parents who frown upon their behaviour.

I'de prefer not too... But my Mom has seen my Myspace once or twice and I don't have anything worse than profanity, babe thread legal pics, and Che Guavara pics on either Facebook or Myspace. So it wouldn't be to big of a deal.

Now last summer all my friends parents got Myspaces, it was pretty much a disaster for me, because the're way more strict than my parents and while I kept my profile private and didn't friend them I still managed to upset a bunch of helliopter Moms.

So I'de say in general keep teh' old people away!

Top Bottom