Historic Photos.

Apparently, Lloyd Fredendall (commander of the US II Corps in North Africa that was dismissed after Kasserine Pass and succeeded by George S. Patton) used an entire engineer corps specifically to build him his headquarters, and then used an entire anti-aircraft battalion to defend it. Such was the waste of resources in making this complex that Omar Bradley and Dwight D. Eisenhower were both so appalled that they considered dismissing Fredendall on the spot.

Any photos of this thing exist? I'm really curious as to what it looks like.

Apparently, Lloyd Fredendall (commander of the US II Corps in North Africa that was dismissed after Kasserine Pass and succeeded by George S. Patton) used an entire engineer corps specifically to build him his headquarters, and then used an entire anti-aircraft battalion to defend it. Such was the waste of resources in making this complex that Omar Bradley and Dwight D. Eisenhower were both so appalled that they considered dismissing Fredendall on the spot.

Any photos of this thing exist? I'm really curious as to what it looks like.

I remember him from a magazine pullout on Operation Torch. A quick Google search of it brought this up.

Attachments

• 50484845.jpg
    50484845.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 4,107

The New Zealand Māori Battalion performs a haka in Egypt, July 1941.

WW2, Nazi soldier in Russia:

WW2, Australian and British soldiers pose for a photo at the Great Pyramid in Egypt:

Best wartime photograph ever (Iraq? Don't know where this is):

VE Day in Canada:

Senegalese marines, WW1:

Before Dieppe:

After Dieppe:

Apartheid in South Africa:

Prague Spring:

Canadian soldiers in the Medak Pocket:

According to my Euro textbook, the Prague Spring picture is actualy of the French Student Riots in 1968. Plus the writing looks French.

Best wartime photograph ever (Iraq? Don't know where this is):

Funny, but sadly a shop job. Or maybe it's "fortunately" a shop job, considering what might've happened to the kid's parents had that actually happened. Other versions of that same photo went to effort of shopping in an American flag on the soldier's helmet, just in case people were too thick to get the point.

Speaking of shop jobs...

And now let's get away from the military stuff and go for sheer awesomeness...

The trick is in how fast you get off the motorcycle after you bring it to a stop.

other versions of that same photo went to effort of shopping in an American flag on the soldier's helmet, just in case people were too thick to get the point

Pretty pointless gesture considering that he clearly isn't an American soldier.

I feel like gravity should have bent around this photograph. There is probably at least three periodic elements named for the people in this photo. Warning, large image.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• scientists.jpg
    scientists.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 3,760
that is the picture i would have post. Can you get better than this! only Newton is missing. That is truly the most Epic picture ever. Much of all we have today are due to those men ( and Marie).

Probably the wrong forum, but anyone know of any naval blueprints of the monitors that fought the Konigsberg in E. Africa in WWI? I'd also like to see an overhead of the Konigsberg if anyone has a link.

Spoiler :

Soldiers resting after taking over the Wailing wall.

Israeli Paratroopers at the Wailing wall

Tank battles in Sinai.

Destroyed Egyptian plane.

WW2 vintage halftracks used by Israel

An IDF Halftrack passing through Egyptian wreckage.

Some historical get-togethers...

Spoiler :
Stalin and Mao

Nehru and Mao

Che and Mao

The Dalai Lama, Panchen Lama and Mao

Mao and Kim Il Sung

Ho Chi Minh and Mao

Mao and Nixon

Mao and Khrushchev

Tito and JFK

Khrushchev and JFK

Gandhi and Nehru

Gandhi and Jinnah

Che and Khrushchev

Castro and Khrushchev

Eisenhower and Nehru (apologize for the size on this one, accidentally saved the thumbnail.

Kennedy and Hoover

Lindbergh and Hoover

Lindbergh and Goring

Eisenhower and Franco

Hitler and Franco

Carter and Kim Il Sung

Nixon, Ford and Carter

Johnson, Nixon and Samuel Rayburn

Kim Il Sung and little Kim Jung Il

Nixon, Ford, Carter is one of the more interesting ones.

Mark IV Tank troubles:

captured!

Continuing bombshoo's theme of historical meets:

Marshal Tito and President Nasser having a quiet chat.

Urdu-speaking Jawaharlal Nehru and Gujarati-speaking M.A. Jinnah

Emperor Hirohito, with the Kangde Emperor (Puyi). Hirohito hung on to the throne after the fall of his Empire, his puppet met a different fate.

Mustafa Kemal (Ataturk) with Greek PM Venizelos, et al.

Looking east: Ataturk with Amanullah of Afghanistan

Zahir Shah of Afghanistan with his cousin Daoud Khan. Daoud would depose Zahir Shah in 1973, inadvertently beginning the country's slide towards thirty years of war.

King Zog of Albania, and Count Ciano, Mussolini's foreign minister. Two years later Italy would invade and annex the country.

Top Bottom