History Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread VII

I was told that every old culture, like the Egyptians, made their own idols so the people could do whatever they pleased without any morals, and it always ended up so they could do bad things like child sacrifice. They also said that every pagan god is either about sex or war, because that's what every person if they aren't given morals.

It probably shouldn't need saying, but Christians aren't the only people with morals - often, as with any group, they don't fit into that category at all.

Most of what Chukchi's 'friends' say to him shouldn't need refuting, as they're so patently ridiculous, but even after years of this, he apparently still hasn't learnt that these people's opinions can only be trusted as far as he can throw them.

I've never read the Bible.

Well, I'll tell you that the Bible doesn't cover every single nation, every other religion, or all of time. It deals in specificity with a very narrow region over a fairly narrow period of time. I hope that at least answers your question as phrased most broadly without needing to discuss anything else.

A re-flex bow is one where the actual bow bends to the opposite direction if not held back by a string. I suppose this makes it release the arrow with more power.

Given a term tied to it (Palintono) is used in Heraklitos to speak of some philo stuff, i wanted to ask if anyone knows (or has a trusted source) for where such bows first were witnessed in the med/mid-east/taurus regions :)

(eg, were they regarded as Scythian-originals by the ancient Greeks?).

Has the Land-Lease program ever managed to reach Leningrad?

Would Rommel be more effective in Russia than in North Africa?

the P-40s seem to be concentrated up North , so the planes would certainly have an effect ; and Lend Lease units were still much in use in 1945 . And Rommel seems to have profited so much from British failings in command , Russians were somewhat faster in "learning" .

Well, I'll tell you that the Bible doesn't cover every single nation, every other religion, or all of time. It deals in specificity with a very narrow region over a fairly narrow period of time. I hope that at least answers your question as phrased most broadly without needing to discuss anything else.

Not that narrow temporally. If you include the New Testament, it's over a thousand years starting with Kings. If you don't, it's still eight hundred years from Judges through Nehemiah.

Unfortunately that's still only 1000 years out of the 5000 or so that make up recorded history, so it's a pretty poor source to base your understanding of the whole thing on.

And even that 1000 years omits much of what's going on even with Israel and Judah's neighbors with the exception of what's going on in Canaan.

And even that 1000 years omits much of what's going on even with Israel and Judah's neighbors with the exception of what's going on in Canaan.

Yeah, it does have tunnel vision in that regard, although you do see some of the things going on in Persia, and Assyria and Babylon, not all of which are made up.

As far as their religious beliefs go?

I would like to point out that morals today could never be assumed to be the morals of yesterday. While it is true that breaking the Law of God today is considered immoral, in the time of the Bible it was considered bound to nature as opposed to obeying God. Today we do not associate living freely according to our natural desire as being moral, but our relationship with other humans. Most of the Laws allegedly given by God, do not even apply to humans today, and what humans did back in Bible times outside of those affected by those laws were not considered immoral, but were considered doing what nature intended of them to do. Even today what most ancients would have considered natural to do, today would not be considered immoral. although they may be considered weird as science and education have changed the way humans approach nature and human behavior.

Bottom line is: doing what comes natural only became part of morality when theologians and philosophers started mixing religious law and human nature while compiling human governance. Morality changed from a relationship between divine and natural to human relationships. Before that what humans did to humans were natural actions and only involved the divine if a human thought proclaiming a divine authority was viable.

Can anyone answer about Carthaginian holdings in subsaharan africa and whether they excersized economic control there?

Can anyone answer about Carthaginian holdings in subsaharan africa and whether they excersized economic control there?

Subsaharan? No. A thousand miles is a massive amount of territory to exert political/economic control over even in temperate regions. A thousand miles of unsettled, mostly uninhabited wasteland? Certainly not.

How vital was Rome in the creation of Sassanid Persia? I have heard that Trajan's invasion of Persia and subsequent occupation while unsuccessful, did collapse what remained of Parthia and helped give rise to the Sassanids. Is this true at all, or was Rome unimportant to the formation of the Sassanids?

The Sassanids didn't take over Persia until a century after Trajan, so making him responsible is really pushing it.

Septimius Severus invaded Parthia around the year 200, which may have helped weaken the empire so Ardashir could take over.

Wonder if the Great Flood (Deluge) really happened? Sumerian account (myth) seems to precede the Bible by centuries and the scholars place this event around 2900 BC. Any further info on this topic? like, can we still hope to find any remnants of the Arc?

Wonder if the Great Flood (Deluge) really happened?
Happened as in a world-spanning flood? Nope.
Big flood in certain areas? Quite possible. Most early cities were founded near rivers and depended on them for agriculture. In the case of Egypt, they depended on the river flooding.
Any further info on this topic?
To my knowledge, none of it reputable.
like, can we still hope to find any remnants of the Arc?
No.

And in the case of Sumeria, floods of the Euphrates could be devastating. There's certainly evidence that such floods happened and would have caused big problems to the people living there. It's hardly surprising that they should develop a myth of a terrible flood that wiped out the whole of civilisation. There's no need to "explain" this myth by supposing that it has more historical basis than that.

On history channel, they talked about how it's possible the Black Sea came about because of a flood. And since it might have held 20% of the world's population at the time, when those people dispersed to different geographic areas they brought myths of a world ending flood with them. Still, I suppose there's no solid proof until someone finds proof of habitation in the Black Sea.

Top Bottom