How do you end 'cancel culture'?

So witchhunting and bully tactics are fine?

No but as someone who values, you know, other people's free will, a lot of people do a lot of things I don't think are good. But I try my best not to judge them or control them.

Cancel culture is market forces in action, a demand (or lack thereof) driven by the consumer being met by management "cancelling" for example Louie CK

No, there's OBVIOUSLY more to it than that. The totality of people identifying as American Social Progressives, or those in other nations in solidarity with them, do not, statistically command enough of the consumer base of most entertainers and authors targeted for "cancellation," - with a FEW exceptions, like Rawlings - and the vast majority of them would retain a highly profitable portfolio if the entire Progressive crowd "voted with their pocketbook," and made a boycott. This indicates that a significant level of social coercion, intimidation, and fearmongering is also going on - like McCarthy and the HUAC were also doing.

No but as someone who values, you know, other people's free will, a lot of people do a lot of things I don't think are good. But I try my best not to judge them or control them.

you understand that public outcry, even denouncement, must be possible under free speech right

you understand that public outcry, even denouncement, must be possible under free speech right

Did you read what I just posted? Your response tells me that you didn't.

There is a difference between me saying "they shouldn't be doing that", which is not what I said about the cancel culture critics, and "I don't agree with why they are doing it". You are just trying to force a strawman of those big bad rightists who want to censor you down my throat, when that's not what I'm about at all. The only time I have said anyone should do anything is that companies and entertainers who are the victims of cancel culture should have a little more of a backbone if they feel like they are being unjustly attacked.

Did you read what I just posted? Your response tells me that you didn't.

There is a difference between me saying "they shouldn't be doing that", which is not what I said about the cancel culture critics, and "I don't agree with why they are doing it". You are just trying to force a strawman of those big bad rightists who want to censor you down my throat, when that's not what I'm about at all. The only time I have said anyone should do anything is that companies and entertainers who are the victims of cancel culture should have a little more of a backbone if they feel like they are being unjustly attacked.

it's ironic that you say i'm doing a strawman because you've obviously no idea where i'm coming from. :p "big bad rightists". sigh

it's ironic that you say i'm doing a strawman because you've obviously no idea where i'm coming from. :p "big bad rightists". sigh

I mean I made my point I feel like and you are just sort of peppering me with non-sequiturs and thinly veiled attempts at ad hominem. I'm done with that.

I mean I made my point I feel like and you are just sort of peppering me with non-sequiturs and thinly veiled attempts at ad hominem. I'm done with that.
I just found it hilarious that you came out from nowhere and start throwing attacks out left and right. It's you that immediately claim victimship and think I'm attacking the evil right over this. I'd suggest you take a step back and be a bit more calm about it.

I just found it hilarious that you came out from nowhere and start throwing attacks out left and right. It's you that immediately claim victimship and think I'm attacking the evil right over this. I'd suggest you take a step back and be a bit more calm about it.

You can't even point to one attack I threw out at anyone personally. Again with the strawman.

You are just trying to force a strawman of those big bad rightists who want to censor you down my throat,

^.

I'm just answering what you type.

^.

I'm just answering what you type.

This is really pointless bickering, but you are not an experienced debater if you think me pointing out your use of a strawman is a personal attack.

This is really pointless bickering, but you are not an experienced debater if you think me pointing out your use of a strawman is a personal attack.

"You are not an experienced debater"
WINNING? :rotfl:
What are you trying to achieve here? xD

I made my point, and I think you were debating me unfairly and not addressing the substance of what I said. The internet can be a place with rewarding and enlightening discussion, I really believe so. I don't think this discussion is helping. So with full respect, I acknowledge that you don't agree with me.

I think he’s spreading the word of Trumpism. :mischief:

I made my point, and I think you were debating me unfairly and not addressing the substance of what I said. The internet can be a place with rewarding and enlightening discussion, I really believe so. I don't think this discussion is helping. So with full respect, I acknowledge that you don't agree with me.

Enlightened discussion isn't about setting up enemies and immediately delivering me to the loins of right-haters.

So, again, step back - you think I don't agree with you. Sure. What is my position? :crazyeye:

I think he’s spreading the word of Trumpism. :mischief:

Because, of course, believing in, or advocating, any sort of ideological point of view other than Trumpism/Alt-Right OR 2010's American Social Progressivism is just an utter impossibility, even for Non-Americans who live in countries with other socio-political ideological, political, and economic factions and concerns, like both @The Civs 6 and myself, right? It just doesn't happen, and anyone claiming to believe anything else MUST be a "closet Alt-Right type," right? At least this is the impression I've been getting from a lot Americans on these forums. The Great American Brainrot in action!

Because, of course, believing in, or advocating, any sort of ideological point of view other than Trumpism/Alt-Right OR 2010's American Social Progressivism is just an utter impossibility, even for Non-Americans who live in countries with other socio-political ideological, political, and economic factions and concerns, like both @The Civs 6 and myself, right? It just doesn't happen, and anyone claiming to believe anything else MUST be a "closet Alt-Right type," right? At least this is the impression I've been getting from a lot Americans on these forums. The Great American Brainrot in action!

Absolutely. I hate being forced into this false dichotomy. Some day the pragmatic, reasonable center will get tired of all this nonsense.

Absolutely. I hate being forced into this false dichotomy. Some day the pragmatic, reasonable center will get tired of all this nonsense.

So great, pragmatic, reasonable center, experienced debater, can you tell me what nonsense I am espousing? What is my position that you don't agree with for very good reasons?

But here in the UK, there have been several reports on institutional racism in the police force and in other British organisations. My understanding is that very few of the recommendations that came out of the more recent ones have actually been implemented. The Macpherson report, following the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence in 1993, resulted in big changes in the way the police in this country operated, with the effect of reducing racism within the police force, and improving outcomes for black people. This is nothing to do with class or redistribution, and didn't require the government to distribute wealth to black people or poor people. It just involved changes to how the police operates. We have other reports that have other recommendations, which we could implement.

If I'm being vague about what those recommendations are, it's because I don't know what they are. I'm not an expert on this. But other people are, and they've listed a bunch of things that we could do to make the police force less racist. I doubt any of those recommendations are "redistribute wealth to black people and poor people", though I'm quite certain that would help too. It is, of course, not the only thing you can do. Why not do the other stuff as well?
If there are good, workable ideas waiting to be implemented, of course they should be.
Me being unaware and unable to think of any may very well be due to my personal limitations.

So great, pragmatic, reasonable center, experienced debater, can you tell me what nonsense I am espousing? What is my position that you don't agree with for very good reasons?

Well as much as I hate to spend my expensive billable time looking back at older posts to refresh your memory, I must remind you that you mischaracterized my position as denying any person's right under free speech to protest/speak out against/not purchase things of something or someone with which they disagree.

Top Bottom