1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you end 'cancel culture'?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aelf, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

who are you talking about

2. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

So you don't have an answer as to why negative assumptions you make about other people are acceptable. But you do have the time to write all that.

Alright.

aelf and GenMarshall like this.
  3. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    He does like to erect people that he disagrees with that goes against the one true centrism as strawmen to freely attack and throw temper tantrums at.
    He just likes to make word salads to justify his wild ideas and hyperboles.

4. Patine

Patine Deity

Since I know I will never get such an answer from those who have routinely done the same to me (many having posted in this thread) that will not just be doubling down on the same attitude, or just being snide, insulting, or self-aggrandizing, I do not feel more penitant than of any you seem to, or feel that point of view is more inherently incorrect or wrong than any of you feel yours are. Demanding I ignore all of the same kind of crap you've heaped on me for a VERY long time as completely irrelevant and not to be addressed just to address one single alleged offense along the exact same lines by me is so gobsmackingly hypocritical and two-faced, it beggars the imagination. Of course, I don't expect you will be able to see or understand, because, in your twisted view of things, you are always correct, and your socio-political allies are above any reproach or criticism - which is one of the big reasons my respect for any credibility, ethics, and veracity from you is close to rock bottom.

5. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

You should've lead with this, instead of dodging the question repeatedly.

It's clear that you justify any assumptions any insulting language or comparisons by degrading the people you attack. After the fact, in this case. Just save everybody the time and admit it upfront in future.

I don't mind what you think of me, but it's annoying to be lead on this pointless semantic exercise if you never actually intended to discuss.

GenMarshall likes this.
  6. Patine

Patine Deity

And you justify my assumptions with your continuously evasive behaviour. The type of behaviour I wouldn't likely resort to, "any insulting language or comparisons by degrading the people you attack," (although this term is not true - candidly pointing out flaws and faults in logic and inconvenient truths and posting and calling wrongheaded ideologies and belief in myths is termed as, "any insulting language or comparisons by degrading the people you attack," so the usage of that term, too, is disingenuous) if I didn't face the ridiculous crap in response I always do, because having a "constructive discussion," with you and your allies actually means, when you say it, "me capitulating to everything and every point you make and breaking down and confessing I'm wrong for everything I believe." But, again, I don't expect you'll be capable of the level of introspection to see this point.

7. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

8. GenMarshall

Yet you routinely attack other people, like myself and others, when they call out your BS. I recall you’ve attacked my and other’s ideas as being insane and illogical.

Well, he is showing signs of Martyr complexes.

9. Patine

Patine Deity

This is conversation is going nowhere. This is called a "rhetorical quagmire." I am unwatching this thread. Please, do not, anyone, tag me further for any issue on this thread.

10. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Boycotting a thread on cancel culture is so meta- it would make John Barth proud.

cardgame, aelf, Socrates99 and 2 others like this.
  11. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

All I asked for was examples lol

Crezth and GenMarshall like this.
  12. GenMarshall

I guess olde Patine had none :lol:.

13. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

A man leaving something and asking not to be tagged on it is explicitly neither a boycott nor a call for censure and cancel. The nattering hens who quietly click Report are who you need to meta in somehow.

14. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

You say tomahto, I say tometa

15. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Supplement up to 5% of a chicken's diet with ripe tomatoes!

16. aelf

aelf Ashen One

I suppose with the exit of the main agonist, this thread will now die down.

I just had some ideas about how cancel culture is an indictment of capitalism's relationship with freedom of speech. Not sure of this thread is too far gone for that and I should just start a new one.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  17. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Mercatrix Citrorum Moderator

Moderator Action: Please do not mock and goad other posters who are no longer participating in the thread. Thank you.

18. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

What is the indictment? I guess I'm getting back to basics here, but I'm seeing "cancel culture" as a buzzword for another kind of moral panic but just with a more left-leaning bent, to speak in very broad and generalizing terms. I'm thinking back to Tipper Gore and the outrage over heavy metal records, or that one doofus guy that correlates violent crime with video games (which is odd since violent crime was higher before violent video games even existed.) Furthermore, access to social media and changing social attitudes have given more people the opportunity to express their opinions, and maybe they're weighting them higher than they would if we were back to letter-writing campaigns ala that woman who tried to get Married With Children taken off the fledgling FOX network in the late '80s. We get instant gratification now from registering our opinions, and now more than ever we can broadcast them.

I may have said before I think the coronavirus pandemic has had an amplifying effect on these sorts of rather materially insignificant issues. Unfortunately, there's no other observable sans-corona universe to compare it to.

How'm I approaching it?

19. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Capitalism affords consumers the boycott power to inhibit free speech

aelf likes this.
  20. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

Whose speech?