How to get a job (or not)

Of course. Any failure or stagnation is due to inherent personal flaw and lack of bootstraps.
Correct. While there may be exceptions, in general, yes. 10 years ago, not so.

Be wary of free trades programs. They often receive grants from the government for providing training but there is little oversight.
At this point, it’s a gamble worth taking since I desperately want to get out of retail hell. I’m pretty much close to abandoning my career goal of perusing office administration to pick up a trade that won’t get outsourced to India or get outperformed by some young whipper snapper fresh out of college during a good economic period and I’m looked at as a broken asset chewed out during the Great Recession.

I’ve pretty much bitten the bullet and swallowed my pride to peruse a trade that would end up having my hands get dirty, even if it means I get better pay and benefits than my current lot in life.

If you can maneuver a free program into something useful, it's definitely worth pursuing. My comment was more just a general call for caution, as a lot of people get roped in by "free" and "trades skill" before checking to see if the program leads anywhere.

In Saturday's WSJ there is a great article about how to shape your career in an evolving workplace.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-an...er-your-nose-11555689542?mod=itp_wsj&ru=yahoo

It shows how to create a career path from different entry level and not very glamorous starting points like: data entry clerk, warehouse worker etc. If it is behind a paywall, wait a few days and try again. The best stuff won't copy.
Can someone check to see if this link is no longer blocked? Thanks.

For Job Security at the Factory, Learn How to Repair a Robot

The more we use automated assembly systems, the more maintenance they need.

In a former Pratt & Whitney jet-engine-testing facility, a canary-yellow robotic arm is rotating above a table. An instructor taps on a tablet, and the arm shifts to move in a different direction. The demonstration is part of a tour of a new robotics and automation training center that Goodwin College, in East Hartford, Conn., and engineering consultant Rapid Global Business Solutions Inc. unveiled in March. The new center is part of Goodwin’s 60,000-square-foot manufacturing facility on the banks of the Connecticut River, near the aerospace giant’s global headquarters.

About 25 percent of U.S. workers—representing 36 million jobs—could be replaced by automation in the next few decades, according to a Brookings Institution report released this year. Goodwin is one of a number of U.S. institutions investing in training to prepare blue-collar workers for that shift. While jobs are being eliminated, many positions that are safer, more interesting, and pay better than the typical assembly-line assignment are being created. An advanced degree in engineering or artificial intelligence isn’t required, but some training is.

Three years ago, Kyle Mantecon had never seen an industrial robot. Now the 33-year-old is a product engineer for Inovision, a Rochester Hills, Mich., business that serves as a middleman for robot makers and automotive factories. “You would think you would need to be some sort of supergenius to work with robots,” he says. “That’s not the case.” And the earnings potential is greater, he says. “If you’re willing to work 60 to 70 hours per week and travel, you could be making six figures, easy.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rn-how-to-repair-a-robot?srnd=businessweek-v2

God damn robots stealing our jobs!
An advanced degree in engineering or artificial intelligence isn’t required, but some training is.
I always felt that an advanced four year degree in computers, engineering, and/or robotics is required for maintenance and operation of these robots.

God damn robots stealing our jobs!

I always felt that an advanced four year degree in computers, engineering, and/or robotics is required for maintenance and operation of these robots.
Yes robots will take many jobs going forward. Plan now and it is an opportunity. Wait and you lose.

And as a bonus, you apparently don't need an advanced degree to work on robots! Opportunity knocks.

Think of all the High School graduates that took up programming and are now making more than many of the college graduated buddies.
Seeing where technology is heading is always required if you're going to take advantage of it. .

I wrote an article about a month before that one from Bloomberg that said much the same thing.

BJ is right. You don't need a degree. It helps, but it's not necessary for an entry-level position. The more modern businesses will train you on the company dime if you start out on the floor.

If you're not technically minded, or if you just don't like doing that kind of work, sales is an untapped market for robotics. You still need to understand the technology and how it works, but you spend most of your time telling others about it instead of being in the thick of it yourself.

Today's WSJ (weekend edition) has numerous great articles about jobs and work in the Exchange section. If you are looking for work, want to change your job, want to know what jobs categories are growing, how liberal arts degrees fare in the workforce etc. go out today and buy yourself a copy. There is lots and lots of great stuff in it.

Of course if you're looking for work, you may not be able to afford it. :p

Of course if you're looking for work, you may not be able to afford it. :p
But being more knowledgeable about the situation can't hurt. :p

Reactions: rah
thank you, front end developer job i got.
Some of us are ignorant of jobs in our tech world, so please, what is a front end developer? Is is web site work, general programming? Game development?

Moderator Action: Poster was a spam bot, deleted. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom