Iceni civilization

Iceni civilization 3.0

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator

Play as Boudicca of the Iceni, an ancient British tribe, famous for it's revolt against Rome.

Civilization Trait: The Icknield Way: One Diplomacy policy slot in the current government is converted to a Wildcard slot. Camps trigger a Culture Bomb.
Leader Trait: Hare of Andraste: Combat victories provide faith equal to 50% of the base strength of the defeated unit.
Leader Agenda: Boudicca's Uprising: Boudicca aims to have a large standing army and likes other leaders of the same ilk. She dislikes civilizations who attack her home continent and hates having a surprise war declared against her.
Unique unit: Celtic Warrior (replaces swordsman): The Celtic Warrior is slightly stronger and cheaper to build and maintain than the swordsman and does not require iron.
Unique building: Shrine to Andraste (replaces shrine): The Shrine to Andraste has all the features of the Shrine, but also grants +1 Culture and +2 Great General points per turn.

Support included for TSL and for JFD's Rule with Faith. The Great General Boudica has been replaced with Caratacus.

This is a complete civilization, including diplo screen, diplomacy text, artwork. Thanks to deliverator for the Celtic Warrior (based on his Hirdman).

Please note that the leaderhead is in 2D.

Last edited:
Rob (R8XFT) updated Iceni civilization with a new update entry:

Boudicca of the Iceni version 2.0

Thanks Socra! Version 2.0 is now available. Here's a rundown of the changes:

Boudicca artwork changed - main feature of the change is that the helmet has been removed.

Shrine to Andraste now allows missionaries; it now earns +2 Great General points per turn instead of +1.

The Great General Boudica is now Caratacus.

Boudicca's agenda has been updated; she still aims to have the largest standing army and likes civs with large armies; she dislikes civs who attack her home continent and hates having a surprise war declared upon her.

You should make a short tutorial thread about plugging in leaderheads, many including myself have full civs made... but are stuck with a theme-breaking Teddy Roosevelt leaderhead, lol.

Hi Rob

Just downloaded v2 and I'm looking forward to using it. I did however find some errors in the log files which made me have a look in your files. I found:
  • It seems AGENDA_BACKSTAB_BOUDICCA_SURPRISE_WAR is in the wrong place (after </Modifiers>) in Iceni_Agendas.xml
  • A lot of text elements are duplicate in Iceni_ConfigText.xml and Iceni_Text.xml
The first one is probably pretty bad since it makes one of the agendas useless (I suspect)

\Skodkim

Hi skodkim, thanks for pointing out the agenda issue - I hadn't noticed it and you're right - it needs fixing. The text though, not so much. The config text needs to have all the text required for setting up the game - so there will be duplication. The xml for Civ 6 doesn't work like Civ 5, which was unforgiving of repeats of this nature.
Thanks for the Russian localization Zergus17!

Weird about the text. I'm not that accustomed to Civ6 modding yet and have never played around with crating civs myself so I'm no expert. I just noticed that the Iceni mod creates a text related error message in the log files that seems to go away if you remove all the duplicates (mod still seems to work fine).

I also took a look at one of JFD.s civs , which doesn't cause any errors and he seems to do the text differently (not just the sql/xml syntax difference).

Anyway thanks for the mod - I made some edits myself in v2 to remove the error messages and I'm looking very much forward to beating the c... out of mistress Boudicca!

\Skodkim

I am playing as the Iceni right now. I like what you've done. Although it is very "Civ IV-esque" I think I am going to edit this to be a generic Celtic civ and have leaders for various Celtic tribes. I was wondering if you could help me out with the leader screens. I used to make leaderheads for Civ IV so I am pretty adept at creating graphics, but I haven't done anything yet for Civ VI so maybe if you could inform me on the process I could get the ball rolling, and since you seem to like to create ancient civilizations yourself maybe I could help you with some original models. For the time being where did you find the image for Boudicca and could you possibly help me create Diplomacy screens/backgrounds (whatever) for Vercingetorix, Cunobelin or Brennus. I only suggest those since they were in previous versions of Civilization.

I created Boudicca myself in Daz Studio 4.9. Once I release the next version of Anno Domini (hoping for end of next month), it should have some other Celtic leaderheads in there you'd be welcome to use. Otherwise (or for placeholders) you could use the Civ 5 leaderheads and increase the size to 1920 x 1080.

I love your mods, they are some of my favorite civilizations, the art style is very pretty. Also very playable, which is always nice. I was wondering how you made the leader moods things for your Illyria mod, I want to put something like that together for mine. You know how like when you make friends with her she smiles, or when your mean she get's all angry?

Thanks SlySlySly - to create the moods, look at the file Illyria_LeaderAnimations. This matches the action to the mood. All you need to then do is create the different leaderheads and set them up in the same way as you would do the neutral ones, matching the name of the image to the corresponding name in the file. You'll need a fallback version as well.

Thanks SlySlySly - to create the moods, look at the file Illyria_LeaderAnimations. This matches the action to the mood. All you need to then do is create the different leaderheads and set them up in the same way as you would do the neutral ones, matching the name of the image to the corresponding name in the file. You'll need a fallback version as well.
Alright, may I ask what a "fallback version" is?

It's usually the fallback image for the 3D image in the actual game. The LEADER_BOUDICCA_NEUTRAL would normally show on the opening screen (if you selected her as the leader you were playing) and the FALLBACK_NEUTRAL_BOUDICCA would show on the diplomacy screen. You might, therefore, not require a LEADER_BOUDICCA_XXX for any other emotion. It's all experimental at this stage!

It's usually the fallback image for the 3D image in the actual game. The LEADER_BOUDICCA_NEUTRAL would normally show on the opening screen (if you selected her as the leader you were playing) and the FALLBACK_NEUTRAL_BOUDICCA would show on the diplomacy screen. You might, therefore, not require a LEADER_BOUDICCA_XXX for any other emotion. It's all experimental at this stage!
Oh thanks, that makes sense

As I wrote before - this is very good work. And I don't care much about leader animations. I understand that the resources are limited. But what I do care is that the absence of music themes in the game and that the unique buildings doesn't appeared on a world map. That's disappointing. At least for me. Is there any way to fix this two problems? Because if you do that - all civ community will recieve a full done and completely new, very well balanced and illustrated civilization.

Had an issue with the Iceni lately where if I had them enabled the game would crash back to the main menu when loading/starting a game. Using the following mods:

-Land of Punt
-Illyrian Empire
-Senshi's Sri Lanka
-Firebug's Sweden
-Better Civ icons
-JFD's Jimmu of Japan
-JFD's Mali
-JFD's Papal States
-Korea
-Leugi's Argentina
-Sukritact's Ethiopia
-Sukritact's Siam
-Tomatekh's Historical Religions
-YNAMP (core)
-YNAMP Cliffs of Dover yield tweak
-YNAMP closer cities
-YNAMP Less barbarians
-YNAMP Remove close CS

JFD updated Mali right around when this started happening, so the conflict may be there?

Rob (R8XFT) updated Iceni civilization with a new update entry:

Iceni Civilization 3.0

Boudicca's leaderhead has been updated (the main change is the hair).
There is now music (uses England's music).
The shrine to Andraste no longer shows a red exclamation mark (though I've been unable to get the shrine itself to show up yet).
The citizens' names are now showing.
The Celtic Warrior can now be bought with faith and ignores forest terrain.
The Iceni civ icon has been improved.
The background is now more in line with Firaxis backgrounds.

Top Bottom