Iconic warsongs (can include serious or funny ^^)

I'm aware about connection of the song with WW2. Since you clarified that your tirade about something being wrong with modern Russia was provoked by the girl looking too nice and rolling her eyes wrong way, I have no further comments.
I doubt it was provoked by that, don't you? Marla can certainly make her own case. But the guttural hate and revulsion for Russians at war seems, given the times, otherwise motivated.

Chanson de l'oignon – the French get serious when singing about food:

"La blanche hermine", Gilles Servat's song of Breton defiance – repurposed as a French "chant militaire" for the "armee de terre" today – contains the line "My love told me it is madness to make war on the Franks / I say it is madness to continue to remain in chains":

Last edited:
Were they still singing it in 1870?
Isn't the beginning just the napoleonic march (Victory is Ours)?
"La victoire est a nous" is different – genre similarities, they're military marches, I'd say:

No idea about 1870, but today "La chanson de l'oignon" is sung at least by the Legion.

"La victoire est a nous" is different – genre similarities, they're military marches, I'd say:

No idea about 1870, but today "La chanson de l'oignon" is sung at least by the Legion.
I was referring to the first bars of the song you posted, which are the same as the bit just after the intro of Victory is Ours :)

Happy Victory Day, to those who still consider it a holiday.
Lest we forget.

A nasheed that vibes very well with the current Palestinian situation, it sounds very not martial even though it actually very much is. Beautifully sang and written but very short.

Last edited:
Gary Owen. Song of the 7th US Cavalry

Marche destinée aux Chasseurs à pieds de la Garde Impériale, composé par David Buhl, premier trompettiste de son temps.

There's Lilliburlero

Top Bottom