1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Valkrionn, Jul 31, 2010.

1. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Does it have anything to do with a certain 1 year old girl by the name of Eden Trent, who happens to be the granddaughter of a certain Derek "Kael" Paxton?

(A picture of her just popped up on my facebook wall.)

2. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Actually, that is one of the reasons Xienwolf proposed the name.

However, there is an actual gameplay reason for it, it is not pure fluff. ;)

3. Opera

Opera Deity

Eden is a garden. We're making a farmville ripoff.
    There, I said it!

4. OwieB2003

OwieB2003 Warlord

No, Zynga is and you're not getting ANYTHING for it cept a kick to the teeth. And a Monte Cristo sandwich.

5. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

What is with you people and the god forsaken love children of some little filling and way to much bread?

6. Meldon

Meldon Warlord

Potato bread PPQ. Potato bread.

7. A Moon

A Moon The "A" is silent

He said, to the non-alcoholic vegetarian.

8. Fluesterwitz

Fluesterwitz Chieftain

:dubious:

Now, I'd lie if I said I were not impressed with Kael and his erm... deeds. But a granddaughter? Wow! :bowdown:

9. Valkrionn

Step-granddaughter. He adopted his wife's children as his own, IIRC he does not have any.

10. Tschuggi

Tschuggi SNAFU

stay tuned and see the next episode of our sitcom "What's up, Kael ".

11. /]rchon

/]rchon The Art Baron

Haha wow, yous all really got off track there everyone now anyway back on track...(no puns intended)

I did this quickly for fun, I had figured since the Mechanos can build railway tracks and the Mobile Fortress is so far the only unit that can move exclusively on them atm.

Well I figured wouldn't it be cool if they had a steam powered train as well

Sorta doesn't make sense the steampunk race doesn't have anything iconic like a train to put on those tracks right?

So I came up with this thing.

Things I thought up for it...

*National unit possibly 4-9 allowed.
    *Can only move on railroad tracks (Of course)
    *Has one of the highest land movement scores in the game (logically)
    *It can carry a few units on it 4-6 + maybe more, so its a fast non air transport.
    *It can also attack enemies adjacent to a tile of railroad track just like the Mobile Fortress.
    *Attack, stat and artillery/ranged attack wise its pretty much equal to the Steam Tank or possibly a bit weaker.
    *Possibly unlocked by the "Steam Power" research subject.

Basically a Mechanos player would strategically set up a railraod network in their empire and along their borders and possibly to a current war front and use this train as both a fast troop transport and a quick strike defender/attacker.

The overall balancing alone is that the thing is stuck to railway tracks so no reason it cant be like all the above.

Also heres the link to the thread with the models file if anyone feels up to texturing, optimizing or animating it.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=362182&page=2

12. Opera

Opera Deity

No idea if we'll use it -- maybe as a world unit? Like a mega mobile fortress -- but the model is awesome!

13. Valkrionn

If it can be animated, it will be used. ;)

14. Morkonan

Morkonan Warlord

Nice Wartrain!

What are design constraints placed on the models being used by the modders of RiFE? Poly limits, formats, etc?

I'm a 3D hobbyist and would love to contribute. But, only if I have the tools to meet the constraints. I also don't do rigging, though I suppose I could manage if I had to.

Is there a design doc somewhere around here I could use as a reference? I assume there's a FAQ for that kind of thing?

15. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Deep, deep, down, everthing is ... turtles. Stacks of turtles, with thin slices of reality in between.:yumyum: (If your idea of a good meal is large chuncks of Reality and the screams of it's its as you digest their souls, that is. Or if you like the tast of turtle. Maybe we could try with the choclete kind? :think:.)

Anyway, lots of reasons Eden works as a name, besides just as a tribute.

16. /]rchon

/]rchon The Art Baron

I dont know much about it either I just try and stick to under 1000 polys and export them as universal files everyone else can open like OBJ.

As for the actual file type CivIV uses for models, the animation process and such I have no clues about any of that, but there is most likely tutorials around for sure.

I think in the meantime Ill try texturing this wartrain myself.

17. /]rchon

/]rchon The Art Baron

18. Morkonan

Morkonan Warlord

Sweet! Thanks!

I'm always working on some sort of 3D project. I also do a lot of doodling, using new techniques and tools or a different workflow than I'm familiar with to accomplish a task. I may as well doodle up some models for Civ while I'm at it.

I'd certainly expect Civ's models to be in a proprietary format, so I'll probably need a converter (In the gaming mod community, Milkshape is popular for its ability with custom scripting, as well as Blender.. though I hate Blender with a passion..) and some unpackers to get at the files. It was a bit daunting trying to search through the Modding forums for information that was nicely laid out.

Thanks again for the link! I'll try to digest it after I finish Christmas dinner. :)

19. Valkrionn

It's actually a standard nif file as far as I know, though the majority of files ARE packed up within an fpak file; Search for pakbuild.

20. Morkonan

Morkonan Warlord

Seems sensible, will do.