Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

None of those would be the reason. It's very basic, but not something anyone would think of really. ;)

Does it have anything to do with a certain 1 year old girl by the name of Eden Trent, who happens to be the granddaughter of a certain Derek "Kael" Paxton?

(A picture of her just popped up on my facebook wall.)

Eden is a garden. We're making a farmville ripoff.
There, I said it!

Eden is a garden. We're making a farmville ripoff.
There, I said it!

No, Zynga is and you're not getting ANYTHING for it cept a kick to the teeth. And a Monte Cristo sandwich.

What is with you people and the god forsaken love children of some little filling and way to much bread?

Haha wow, yous all really got off track there everyone now anyway back on track...(no puns intended)

I did this quickly for fun, I had figured since the Mechanos can build railway tracks and the Mobile Fortress is so far the only unit that can move exclusively on them atm.

Well I figured wouldn't it be cool if they had a steam powered train as well

Sorta doesn't make sense the steampunk race doesn't have anything iconic like a train to put on those tracks right?

So I came up with this thing.

Things I thought up for it...

*National unit possibly 4-9 allowed.
*Can only move on railroad tracks (Of course)
*Has one of the highest land movement scores in the game (logically)
*It can carry a few units on it 4-6 + maybe more, so its a fast non air transport.
*It can also attack enemies adjacent to a tile of railroad track just like the Mobile Fortress.
*Attack, stat and artillery/ranged attack wise its pretty much equal to the Steam Tank or possibly a bit weaker.
*Possibly unlocked by the "Steam Power" research subject.

Basically a Mechanos player would strategically set up a railraod network in their empire and along their borders and possibly to a current war front and use this train as both a fast troop transport and a quick strike defender/attacker.

The overall balancing alone is that the thing is stuck to railway tracks so no reason it cant be like all the above.

Also heres the link to the thread with the models file if anyone feels up to texturing, optimizing or animating it.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=362182&page=2

No idea if we'll use it -- maybe as a world unit? Like a mega mobile fortress -- but the model is awesome!

Nice Wartrain!

What are design constraints placed on the models being used by the modders of RiFE? Poly limits, formats, etc?

I'm a 3D hobbyist and would love to contribute. But, only if I have the tools to meet the constraints. I also don't do rigging, though I suppose I could manage if I had to.

Is there a design doc somewhere around here I could use as a reference? I assume there's a FAQ for that kind of thing?

Deep, deep, down, everthing is ... turtles. Stacks of turtles, with thin slices of reality in between.:yumyum: (If your idea of a good meal is large chuncks of Reality and the screams of it's its as you digest their souls, that is. Or if you like the tast of turtle. Maybe we could try with the choclete kind? :think:.)

Anyway, lots of reasons Eden works as a name, besides just as a tribute.

Nice Wartrain!

What are design constraints placed on the models being used by the modders of RiFE? Poly limits, formats, etc?

I'm a 3D hobbyist and would love to contribute. But, only if I have the tools to meet the constraints. I also don't do rigging, though I suppose I could manage if I had to.

Is there a design doc somewhere around here I could use as a reference? I assume there's a FAQ for that kind of thing?

I dont know much about it either I just try and stick to under 1000 polys and export them as universal files everyone else can open like OBJ.

As for the actual file type CivIV uses for models, the animation process and such I have no clues about any of that, but there is most likely tutorials around for sure.

I think in the meantime Ill try texturing this wartrain myself.

/]rchon;10023680 said:
Morkonan I just realized theres the whole Modiki section on our nav bars here, this section of it should help out. http://modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Civ4_Modding_Tutorials

Sweet! Thanks!

I'm always working on some sort of 3D project. I also do a lot of doodling, using new techniques and tools or a different workflow than I'm familiar with to accomplish a task. I may as well doodle up some models for Civ while I'm at it.

I'd certainly expect Civ's models to be in a proprietary format, so I'll probably need a converter (In the gaming mod community, Milkshape is popular for its ability with custom scripting, as well as Blender.. though I hate Blender with a passion..) and some unpackers to get at the files. It was a bit daunting trying to search through the Modding forums for information that was nicely laid out.

Thanks again for the link! I'll try to digest it after I finish Christmas dinner. :)

Sweet! Thanks!

I'm always working on some sort of 3D project. I also do a lot of doodling, using new techniques and tools or a different workflow than I'm familiar with to accomplish a task. I may as well doodle up some models for Civ while I'm at it.

I'd certainly expect Civ's models to be in a proprietary format, so I'll probably need a converter (In the gaming mod community, Milkshape is popular for its ability with custom scripting, as well as Blender.. though I hate Blender with a passion..) and some unpackers to get at the files. It was a bit daunting trying to search through the Modding forums for information that was nicely laid out.

Thanks again for the link! I'll try to digest it after I finish Christmas dinner. :)

It's actually a standard nif file as far as I know, though the majority of files ARE packed up within an fpak file; Search for pakbuild.

Top Bottom