If You Could Live Anywhere In The World...

GoodEnoughForMe

n.m.s.s.
Where would you live?

Ignore logistical hurdles like JOBS or FAMILY or MONEY or other stuff that might make it impossible, unrealistic, etc., etc.

Please explain why you would like to live there, any history with it, things you like, etc. Feel free to be as broad as a country or as specific as a town or city or whatever. Do you have any plans to eventually move there?

Thank you.

I'd have houses in multiple countries. New England for summer, Florida, Latin America somewhere. Not sure where else yet.

Any place with a decent amount of job opportunities, low cost of living, and a state governorship and legislature that don’t screw over the lower and middle classes with unnecessary taxes.

I'd have houses in multiple countries. New England for summer, Florida, Latin America somewhere. Not sure where else yet.
Stick away from New England if you don’t want to be taxed to death.

The problem is weather, I don't like it too hot or too rainy or too cold. So I would probably live in two places. Lake house on Michigan side of lake Michigan in the summer/fall like around holland or grand haven or something. Winter home some where warm and coastal like malibu CA or san deigo. Florida is pretty nice like ft myers, naples, etc but kind of humid.

If money were no object, I would probably move around a lot. As it is, the only thing preventing me from moving to Canada or the UK would be finding a job. I liked France well enough, although my command of the language will probably never rise above the tourist's level (actually, my French is much better than that of many American tourists, but that's not a high bar :lol: ).

I can't stand hot & humid weather, which probably prevents me from living in a lot of places. I was in Hong Kong in the Spring, and it was at the upper end of my comfort zone during the day (gorgeous at night, though); I think I might literally die in Southeast Asia in the hot months.

otoh, I can handle very cold temperatures. Winters in Stockholm, Copenhagen, Edinburgh, Berlin, or Amsterdam would be nothing noteworthy, and I could learn to handle Toronto or Montreal in a month.

So I think I'd be looking at Canada, the UK, or the northwestern parts of continental Europe.

If money were no object, I would probably move around a lot. As it is, the only thing preventing me from moving to Canada or the UK would be finding a job. I liked France well enough, although my command of the language will probably never rise above the tourist's level (actually, my French is much better than that of many American tourists, but that's not a high bar :lol: ).

I can't stand hot & humid weather, which probably prevents me from living in a lot of places. I was in Hong Kong in the Spring, and it was at the upper end of my comfort zone during the day (gorgeous at night, though); I think I might literally die in Southeast Asia in the hot months.

otoh, I can handle very cold temperatures. Winters in Stockholm, Copenhagen, Edinburgh, Berlin, or Amsterdam would be nothing noteworthy, and I could learn to handle Toronto or Montreal in a month.

So I think I'd be looking at Canada, the UK, or the northwestern parts of continental Europe.

The Uk (unless your mean Scotland or N. Ireland) seems to not be that cold. Though I only ever lived in and around London, so maybe it is far colder in other cities. Actually London never was that cold, but it rained a lot, and the rain is of a particularly annoying type.

New Hampshire is for New Englanders who don't want to pay taxes. If you can drive, the whole area is accessible in a day from NH, and New York City and Montreal are viable "long weekend" destinations.

The Uk (unless your mean Scotland or N. Ireland) seems to not be that cold. Though I only ever lived in and around London, so maybe it is far colder in other cities. Actually London never was that cold, but it rained a lot, and the rain is of a particularly annoying type.
Yeah, I've never thought of London as a cold-weather city. Wikipedia says the daily mean in January & February is 41F / 5C, with an average low of 36F / 2C. Meanwhile, a warm January day in Montreal is 30F / -1C.

mmmhh.... Hawaii is too obvious, I guess?
I have a chance to get to Barcelona, guess that's already close to optimal :D.

Otherwise:
#1 Bolivia.
I like latin girls, and in Bolivia I'd be tall, white and European, so I'm pretty sure I'd have a good time there ^^.
Or maybe Chile, Ecuador or Peru. I'd not be as white there, but Peruvian girls have often fit my taste, and Chile is the wealthiest country down there.

#2 a world city.
I like entertainment, musicals, festivals, concerts, and other things. The bigger and more prominent the city, the better.
So Hawaii is actually not good, because it's rather remote. Cities like Berlin, London or Paris (or Amsterdam, to stay close by) would work, but I think I'd prefer it a bit warmer. Madrid is not a nice city, and Athens apparently very ugly (never been there). Barcelona, Milan or Rome would be good candidates. I was just in Cologne, and that was again very nice. Some bigger cities in France would also be good.
EDIT: Vienna is also a great city, how could I forget?

Last edited:
mmmhh.... Hawaii is too obvious, I guess?
I have a chance to get to Barcelona, guess that's already close to optimal :D.

Otherwise:
#1 Bolivia.
I like latin girls, and in Bolivia I'd be tall, white and European, so I'm pretty sure I'd have a good time there ^^.
Or maybe Chile, Ecuador or Peru. I'd not be as white there, but Peruvian girls have often fit my taste, and Chile is the wealthiest country down there.

Isn't Bolivia a 3rd world country?

Greece is nearly too :p ;) .
The OP says that money is not an issue to be considered, so I'll assume I'll be damn rich, or at least good enough to afford a Western European living standard.
And the main reason is given ;).

Greece is 2nd world. There is... a world of difference between the two.

I like the northern Atlantic coast. So maybe Portland Maine. But on my brief visit to Halifax Nova Scotia I really liked that. So maybe there.

I'd like to live like the family from Nim's Island ... some isolated tropical island somewhere, but with satellite internet so I could still work and get regular supplies dropped off.

I want to live somewhere that's warm and sunny year round, where I don't have a lot of interactions with other people and where I never ever need to wear shoes. Soft, warm sand, a nice cool stream with a waterfall, some beautiful flora and friendly fauna ... that would be my idea of paradise.

Top Bottom