IGN Article" How Civ6 will redefine art design"

Posted this on another topic too, but can't resist putting it here, some reactions to the first screenshots from Civ IV(go to Civ IV forums and to the very first pages):

MY GOD! am i dissapointed, sure its only early days... but it looks like everythings gone very "cute" much like the new Link games on the gamecube! EUGH, i dont want cuty-lil-spear men, i want fearsome warriors!

The graphics aren't as much "cute" as they are "cartoony". Cute is different.

-has anyone seen the January PC Gamer? they have some screens from Civ 4 and, phew, THEY ARE UGLY! i really hope this is just a prototype that Sid's banged together to test things. hopefully his art department will freak out and set him straight.

It really does look a lot like Heroes IV at the moment. And that's not a good thing. But we'll see what happens.

Whoa! That looks weird. I definately hope the graphics are changed before the game comes out.

I don't really mind if it looks like warcraft...

So long as it doesn't PLAY like warcraft.
...and that's because I am so hopeful.

But day-night cycle? :king:

Posted this on another topic too, but can't resist putting it here, some reactions to the first screenshots from Civ IV(go to Civ IV forums and to the very first pages):

MY GOD! am i dissapointed, sure its only early days... but it looks like everythings gone very "cute" much like the new Link games on the gamecube! EUGH, i dont want cuty-lil-spear men, i want fearsome warriors!

The graphics aren't as much "cute" as they are "cartoony". Cute is different.

-has anyone seen the January PC Gamer? they have some screens from Civ 4 and, phew, THEY ARE UGLY! i really hope this is just a prototype that Sid's banged together to test things. hopefully his art department will freak out and set him straight.

It really does look a lot like Heroes IV at the moment. And that's not a good thing. But we'll see what happens.

Whoa! That looks weird. I definately hope the graphics are changed before the game comes out.

I don't really mind if it looks like warcraft...

So long as it doesn't PLAY like warcraft.

That's awesome! :goodjob:

It's always the same. Never good enough.

I'm sure all those naysayers will still be trolling their opinions long after they are playing the game on opening day.

Interesting that having an opinion contrary to yours is now considered "trolling."
Just ignore him. It is alright to be critical, even at this early stage (even though the game is probably pretty much done, at least from a design POV). Constructive criticism will only make the game better.

Interesting that having an opinion contrary to yours is now considered "trolling."
There comes a point when repeating yourself loudly over and over again and not responding to counterarguments becomes the textbook definition of "saying something to bait a reaction" (which is what trolling is commonly accepted as).

Your reductionism does as little to help the situation as the guy who decided to make the comment in the first place.

I mean it'd be much nicer if everyone could stop demeaning the art style as "childish", but I don't see you speaking up for that particular gem of maturity. I mean I've said this in another thread to someone else but it's all about perception. Sadly, people in general are very intolerant of alternate perceptions.

Which is actually sad, in real terms, because video games are all about enjoying things differently - it's why we have such a range of them.

Moderator Action: And it's now time to stop bickering about who is or is not trolling, or you will each be infracted for trolling. For the life of me, I cannot fathom why so many people, when they run out of constructive things to say, resort to nonsense like name calling and disagreement for disagreement's sake ("That's not an argument. You don't know what an argument is"). Back on topic, please, and if you have nothing to say that is on topic, please move on to another thread.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Age of Exploration UI theme.

Wonder movies are back!

You can set the time of day for visual effect.

Cultural and ethnic visual themes for generic units.

Samurai confirmed as Japanese UU.

Every single line in this post is awesome.
Well, okay, there is nothing unusual in Samurai, it's Japanese trademark, but ethnic units, visual time of day setting, wonder movies, so awesome, so awesome

Really you all complain about the looks?

For one the "Cartoon" looks are WELL done. So what if the the look is a-bit "cartoony". This should not be a major topic.

Everything from Civ5 BnW is in the game
New Engine (most likey 64bit), so better performance
Add tons of new mechanics, updating old mechanics to take the staleness out of the game

If graphics are such a concern, just wait 4 weeks after release for a terrain mod. If you want the city/Terrain to look like X, then go Mod it.

Really, the best part of any civ game is the fact you could mode almost anything to fit your preference. This why Civ 5 to this day is on the top ten most played on steam.

How about you all just focus on these new features which will bring freshness to the series, and add alot of depth instead of whining about something you can Mod

I hope then those pikemen arent done already. The lower part of their armor does look a bit asian, but that's it. :p

Also, that may mean that the archers aren't egypts UU at all.

Yep, I never thought they were unique archers. I guessed they were going in this direction. I know it takes time and resources to add the changes, but they only make sense. Playing Civ 5 Zulu with black-skinned Impi standing next to your stock European units.

I appreciate they are putting effort on this front now. The word immersion gets thrown around a lot, and this was a big one for me. Even if it is extremely minor, like wearing a different helmet, it is at least something.

The coloration could also be tied to the day/night aspect that, according to the article, is still being played around with. Could be that the images we've seen are the super-high-contrast noon images (which are easier to read from far away, and also clearer on any arbitrary news website) and then 6 pm will look exactly like you want. So, if the option is in place, they could satisfy both groups. (And people whose preferences change over time.)

That's a good point. It will be interesting to see how the colour saturation interacts with the different points of the day-night cycle.

When has this game EVER BEEN ABOUT REALISM?

This game has NEVER been about realism

I think what's being meant by 'realism' is 'immersion'. Some people find it easier to immerse themselves in empire-building if they are looking at graphics which resemble the real world, rather than graphics which are designed to look different from the real world.

I missed that comment by m15a. Good point :goodjob:

I've mentioned a few times now I simply just don't like how bright the graphics are, but if this is literally the brightest they get on a cloudless day at high noon, then 6pm would indeed probably suit my taste more.

The two biggest problems with the style for me is the color scheme and the fact that the tiles seems to not be connected.

I always hated the look of the Inca stepp farm because they did not connect visually unlike the farms in Civ 5 that are beautifully connected when placed next to each other. The districts should have their buildings densely packed with 'normal houses' in between the models of the buildings you have built, and with cobblestone instead of grass on the ground. Basicly it should look like one city not disconnected towns!

The cartony look is worst on the trees, I hate those green cones they want to represent pine trees!

Other wise what I've hear about the game, all the content seem nice, just hope the polish a loot on the graphics.

All of the content discussed here sound great, really. Ethnic Units-type unit "localisation", the return of wonder movies and drawn FoW? Awesome! But I do agree that the graphics could use a little polishing. I don't think Firaxis is going to refrain from the style they've chosen (which has somehow grown on me already), but I hope they'll change up the color palette a bit. I'm optimistic, considering we've only seen three screenshots and a trailer with no gameplay.

Tons of people have already brought up how everyone hated Civ 5's graphics when the first screenshots were revealed, so I'm not going to bother.

So civ6 may have a day / night cycle

Time to cue baba yetu

Indeed I also was reminded of Civ4 Vanilla's main menu, though more the day/night cycle there. Still probably the best main menu of any game.

No real strong opinions less; I'm less concerned with the cartoony graphics here than I was with the cartoony graphics of Civ4's leaders. The forests are a bit sparse, and I'm sure Kyriakos could make some nice realistic alternatives, but it's visually pleasing enough and, from what we've seen so far, has good enough contrast.

Could you please tell me what city this http://i.imgur.com/R6xBFAZ.jpg is? Please?

It reminds me of Dubrovnik (formerly Ragusa), but I don't think it's exactly Dubrovnik. Maybe somewhere close to it?

Edit: Used Google Reverse Image Search, and found it. It's Korčula, Croatia. 75 miles away from Dubrovnik. Looks splendid.

I certainly like the idea of an Age of Exploration theme, that should work extremely well. Having different unit models based on civ is a great idea too. It will be interesting to see how much impact the day/night cycle ends up having, especially once the modding community goes to work. I see every reason to be optimistic. Personally I'm going to have to see more of the graphics before I pass judgment; there's no need to panic though.

“We’ve been experimenting. We’d also like to do a setting where you literally you see the sun rise when you start the game. But we’ve also had a setting where you can just keep rotating through. It doesn’t make sense to tie it to turns, but a looping two or three-minute cycle. And we also want to give people the option to set certain times, just say ‘6pm!’ and play that way.”

This is great news.

I've always wanted Day/Night cycles implemented in some form or another.

Perpetual daylight never really made much sense to me.

The way I see it, the real problem is Civ2 was the only numbered Civilization where the art direction succeeded at its goal. Each other game's color design has fallen short of what they were aiming for in one way or another. (I'm not saying any of the following games' art design is without its own merits, just that they have notable shortcomings.)

For Civ3, the entire color design was supposed to be modeled after Bruegel the Elder's The Tower of Babel. The actual game has none of the painting's vibrant red, ochre, orange, green and blue; instead it has yellow mudbrick interfaces set against a yellow world.

For Civ4, the art direction is severely unfocused, but the game world palette was based on satellite images, right? That was some unbearably dreary colors with zero warmth, only somewhat leviated by the colorful borderlines and the rich, understatedly cartoonish animations. The Blue Marble mod does not fix this problem.

For Civ5, the concept is an "epic historical painting and cinema" look and four color palettes for different continents. The results are low-res billboard trees and bushes (recolored for each biome) on conspicuously bump-mapped terrain dotted with visual bugs, and more importantly harder to read than previous games.

Whatever the cause, except for the muddy Beyond Earth, only the spinoff games seem to have nailed down their colors. The original Colonization's simple 256-color brightness. Alpha Centauri's mysterious (but still visually clean) alien planet. The Colonization remake's world basking in morning glow. CivRev's (Xbox 360/PS4) exaggerated but well-balanced palette.

People have compared Civ6 to Age of Empires Online; I think these screenshots' eye-hurting saturation and matchbox models make me appreciation AoEO's art design even more. The fact that the two games were trying for somewhat similar styles does not mean their actual artworks display the same level of expertise.

However, since it will have day-night cycles, we have not seen all of Civ6. How the time-of-day lighting affects the game world will be interesting.

Top Bottom