Info on Next Patch

Dont get me wrong though, there are thousands of your kind, and I got nothing against you personal.
Really? Thousands? I'd be lucky to find more than 2 people that agree with half the stuff I say :)

You know, I *really* have to give kudos to Firaxis at this point. It's clear they recognize that they released a game with some *major* issues but, unlike with Civilization III, they're *not* waiting until an expansion to fix these problems (&, as I recall, Play the World didn't fix many of the problems even then ;) ).

I don't think I've ever seen a Patch with so much *NEW* stuff in it, & it is for this reason that I'll always stick by titles released by Firaxis. Good work guys, can't wait to get it :)!

Aussie.

Originally Posted by SuperJay

•Unhappiness beyond a certain point breeds rebels within your empire, based on the number of cities a player has. (Added 12/3)

Sounds good!

This sounds a lot like the civ iv revolutions mod?

I was thinking RFC but yes, it sounds very close to revolutions, another mod I like.

•Unhappiness beyond a certain point breeds rebels within your empire, based on the number of cities a player has. (Added 12/3)

This, I think, will have a serious impact on Infinite City Sleaze-& will also make the creation of puppets much more useful too! At the very least, someone with *loads* of cities is going to have to work hard to keep their happiness in check!

Aussie.

Civs are major compared to Maps and buildings.
I'm under the opinion that balance issues are the primary concern. I know I'm joining in an argument on what 2 new types of content are more important, but I'm going to have to go with new buildings/policies/techs and such if their purpose is balance.

I wonder how much the non-programming teams have finished. What I mean is does the arts team already have everything finished for a new civ, and are they just waiting around? Maybe they're behind. The reason we're seeing the Spanish and Incans is probably that they are already half-finished, so it's a better use of time.

I'm under the opinion that balance issues are the primary concern. I know I'm joining in an argument on what 2 new types of content are more important, but I'm going to have to go with new buildings/policies/techs and such if their purpose is balance.

Civs are the eye candy. Balance issues are the guts.

I am really happy with the bit about not trespassing when you kill a barb inside city state borders. I also feel very strongly that if have a barb camp quest for a city state you should be extended a right of passage for like 30 turns or something. I often have situations where getting to the camp efficiently ends up pissing them off as much as I get in influence for knocking out the camp.

Um not really, they probably cut a significant amount out of the core game that they were intending to sell later as DLC. But hopefully, God willing, they are seeing sense and abandoning this shocking DLC fiasco.:rolleyes:

This is not the case at all.

Todays update makes me VERY hopeful. I have heard from Xmas elves that the game is uh, um under the tree already and this patch makes me feel all giddy. Now to build the game rig I had my sights set on.

You guys are finally getting some universal love, Greg!

Yup - and at the risk of repeating my post on another thread a few minutes ago ....

Loyalty is a two way road, and I personally - and I suspect quite a few others did as well - felt like cannon fodder on the initial release. I felt badly let down to an extent I have never experienced before in my 15+ years playing this Franchise.

There is clearly a massive effort to sort this mess out, I just hope and pray it works out and we get an immersive, genuine, Strategy Game at the end of all this. The extent of the "patch" - and its sure way beyond a "patch" - has taken me by surprise, pleasently so. 11 out of 10 in terms of a clear determined effort to sort it - genuinely well impressed so far.

I hope it hangs together at the end and becomes a worthwhile addition to the Franchise .... fingers and toes crossed ;)

Regards
Zy

i registered to ask this question:

i see no mention of tweaking resources in the patch notes. currently, the "food" resources (cows, deer, etc) don't make sense to upgrade (+1 food... not a big deal). trading post spam still seems viable according the patch notes.

also, luxury resources while nice to have, are not critical past owning 1 of each for the happiness boost.

one of things i loved about previous civs was strategically founding new cities to take advantage of various resources before the other guy could... not as relevant any more from what i've seen.

thoughts?

There is still more to come - Greg is only posting changes as the initial tests are completed for individual changes at their end, so we do not yet know the full impact, nor the full list of intended changes, but - wow - the extent of changes so far is impressive.

Wait and see for more as the days roll by.

Regards
Zy

@kosak: Firstly, welcome to cfc!

As it happens, I checked both here and over on the 2K forum, just to see if there was anything further on your point – because, speaking as a gamer who enjoys building infrastructure, I was thinking of a not entirely unrelated issue: tile yields and hammer availability. After all, it occurs to me that Firaxis can add as many new buildings and wonders in this patch as they like – but if they don’t give the gamer the ability to access sufficient gold and / or hammers (perhaps varying by game level) to construct them, their addition strikes me as rather valueless.

At the moment however, I can’t see any mention of changes to tile yields in the patch notes. (If I’ve got that wrong, I’d be grateful if someone can point out the change that Firaxis has mentioned. Thanks. :)) That said, 2K Greg has mentioned that more changes may yet be added to the list before the patch is released.

From a builder’s perspective meanwhile, I did notice the change made to the amount of food needed to grow at larger city sizes – and will be watching to see at what city size these changes take place. Maybe this will help to increase hammer availability...perhaps Firaxis will also add a food storage building (available before the hospital) to help kick start city growth. Here's hoping!

Back to your issue meanwhile kosak, I agree 100% with your point re: how tile yields previously served to impact city location. Indeed, it’s because of issues such as this that I’ve returned to playing Civ 4 for a while whilst Firaxis balances Civ 5. If you’re looking to play some Civ 5 in the interim however – or if Firaxis decide (mistakenly IMHO) not to adjust hex yields in this patch (perhaps because that would cause too many problems, delaying the release of the patch), you might want to try using one of the mods. Although I haven’t tried it yet, I understand that alpaca’s PlayWithMe mod available here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=400420

has changed tile yields for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

Beautiful! Not all we need is an ETA and we're golden.

[/nitpicking] Why still no research overflow?

i registered to ask this question:

i see no mention of tweaking resources in the patch notes. currently, the "food" resources (cows, deer, etc) don't make sense to upgrade (+1 food... not a big deal). trading post spam still seems viable according the patch notes.

also, luxury resources while nice to have, are not critical past owning 1 of each for the happiness boost.

one of things i loved about previous civs was strategically founding new cities to take advantage of various resources before the other guy could... not as relevant any more from what i've seen.

thoughts?

Yeah, there's absolutely no excuse for the fact that we're actually better off with a tile without sheep than we are with the same tile with sheep. Another one of those "seriously, did you play your own game before you released it?" things. But one step at a time here. They'll need to spend some time rebalancing and testing for that. But yes, I do hate not knowing in the meantime if they even will try to fix it or if they think it's fine as is. Good to see from a poster below you that there's a mod for that, and I'll definitely use it if this isn't fixed by the time I get the game.

Top Bottom