1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Infraction/Report statistics

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by ori, Sep 29, 2014.

1. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

This is to post some statistics about infractions and reports issued since the current system was put in place in late 2006 until to date.

First number of overall reported posts by section:

Note: OT accounts for about 95% or more of all Collosseum reports. Also NES started out as a Civ3 subsection but I put it into Other Games from the start for this graph.

2. ori

Number of Reports vs Number of Infractions (not including warnings or infractions used to ban spambots).

3. ori

Finally for now: Number of Infractions (not spambot bans) or Warnings by moderator - note that this shows three year intervals and color schemes are not identical between images...

4. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Boah, I remember that the Civ5 release had been bad, but that bad...
    EDIT: Wait, I think we encouraged members to also report stuff regarding bug reports, if stuff has been solved or confirmed. That might explain it.
    EDIT2: mmhh...infractions are also high...maybe it was really *that* bad.

5. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

So that spike in 2010 is the Civ5 release?

6. ori

civilization 5 was released in September 2010 and the spike in reports and the first spike in infractions related to that - I am still trying to figure out the spike in infractions in fall of 2011 (and have not yet gone back to the actual infractions to do so as its a tedious task...). Though it looks like more of an OT thing than Civ related.

Edit: ah well, figured it out - I accidentally did not remove the spam bans in that post with reports vs infractions - if you remove them the second spike is all but gone, there was a rather severe spam attack on this forum back in fall of 2011 with one week sporting almost a thousand spam bots banned by us...

7. ori

this image now shows all infractions and warnings in grey, all infractions and warnings excluding spambot bans in red and infractions only (excl. spambots and warnings) in green.

8. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Just checking:
    BtS release July 2007: Very first peak in reports after the initial one
    G&K Announcement Feb 2012: Small peak in infractions
    G&K June 2012: Small peak in infractions
    BNW July 2013: a bit bigger peak in infractions + reports

9. ywhtptgtfo

ywhtptgtfo Emperor

Normalize by forum activity and active population?

10. ori

unfortunately I do not have read access to those stats. Active population is of course not terribly well defined to start with - but posting activity in the respective subdivisions would be something that could be used - but pulling that out is quite tricky actually for a variety of reasons but lack of actual database access is the main one... You are right that it would be interesting to do though.

11. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Interesting... but other than that there was a big spike around Civ5's release, I'm not sure quite what to draw from it.

I do have some (controversial) statistics on forum activity that I've collected over the years via both direct observation and help from the Wayback Machine. They aren't great, since they aren't divided into nice, even time intervals like the infraction stats, and only include forums that are visible to me. Someone with database access could do a lot better. But for those intrepid souls who do wish to evaluate based on the available data, I've attached it. The "CFC" tab is cumulative traffic; the "Trend" tab is traffic per year since the last collection time (normalized based on how many days since the last collection time).

Unfortunately, the time period around the Civ5 release is one of the more sparse ones in my data. So I can't reliably say if October, 2010 had that much more traffic that the spike in reports and infractions can be expected.

I do recall a lot of flamewars about why Civ5 was worse than Civ4, though, and more than a few infractions in those threads. Anecdotally based on that, I'd suspect that did increase reports, but the spike in infractions + warnings (no spambots) is pretty severe.