International english dialect online test

Snerk, as I recall, I had you pronounce Sviþjod via Vocaroo at one point.

I am definitely not any sort of expert on accents at all, but that sounds more Northern to me than it does Essex style. :)

I thought it was a Lilliputian image. Only with tiny dinosaurs.

And I frankly didn't understand it.

Our top three guesses for your English dialect:
1. Australian
2. English (England)
3. Scottish (UK)

Our top three guesses for your native (first) language:
1. Greek
2. Turkish
3. Polish

They actually guessed correctly my native language.

Aussie? Strewth, guv'nor, throw another calamari on the barbie!

1. Singaporean
2. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics
3. American (Standard)

1. Arabic
2. Polish
3. Portuguese

I think it's interesting that all 4 Canadians who have responded (myself, Valka, Vincour, Warpus) got identical guesses in an identical order for "English dialect", and 3/4 of us (sans Warpus) got identical guesses for native language, too.

Hell of a mess, this...

Our top three guesses for your English dialect:?
1. Australian
2. Singaporean
3. Welsh (UK)

Our top three guesses for your native (first) language:?
1. English
2. Swedish
3. Norwegian

Odd that I get Australian and Singaporean when I'm Irish and live in Canada. And my first language was Gaeilge, not English, but I guess English is close enough. I learned it later.

Bogus test. :lol:

Looks like being from the Hood gives you black cred, even if you're from Germany.

Yo my n...

1. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics
2. South African
3. New Zealandish

1. German
2. English
3. Dutch

Well...for the native language...exactly the order I learnt the languages in, pretty good.
For my English dialect...oh my god :D.
But quick check: All other 3 Germans (Gigaz, Valessa, GoodSarmatian) also good Ebonics as native accent. Not sure what this tells about our school Englisch in Germany o_O.

For my English dialect...oh my god :D.
But quick check: All other 3 Germans (Gigaz, Valessa, GoodSarmatian) also good Ebonics as native accent. Not sure what this tells about our school Englisch in Germany o_O.

1. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics
2. American (Standard)
3. Singaporean
1. Dutch
2. English
3. Russian

:eek:

Getting Ebonics as your English dialect seems to be a better indicator for German English than the guesses for the native language. I would love to see the classifier for this to see why it thinks German English classes are all taught by African-Americans.

I think the dialect part makes sense for native speakers only.

I disagree. When you learn English as a non-native speaker you will be taught some dialect of English and regard some grammatical constructions as incorrect, even if they might be correct in other dialects of English. So I think it does make sense to ask which dialect a non-native speaker speaks or tries to speak. This is especially evident when someone learns English by immersion in a specific dialect. He will most likely pick up grammatical constructions specific to that dialect, which can be identified, even if the speaker still has a clear accent. For example, if I was living in Scotland for an extended period, I would likely start to insert Scottish elements into my English, but I would never fully get rid of my accent. That means the dual classification of what is you English dialect and what is your native language is sensible.

Whether the algorithm makes a good job of that is another question. It should probably include additional "international" dialects. I suspect that there is something like a Continental European English with its own distinctive features that is spoken when English is used as a lingua franca at places like universities, where a lot of English is spoken with little participation of native speakers.

I think the dialect part makes sense for native speakers only.
I think it's a fairly interesting thing to like look at, what type of dialect your way of speaking a foreign language most closely resemble.
For example I think I have a Schwaben dialect while speaking german maybe.

although I wish the test went more in detail than "american standard"

Whether the algorithm makes a good job of that is another question. It should probably include additional "international" dialects. I suspect that there is something like a Continental European English with its own distinctive features that is spoken when English is used as a lingua franca at places like universities, where a lot of English is spoken with little participation of native speakers.
I was talking about the algorithm, it seems the dialect part of the test doesn't work properly for non-native speakers.
I agree that we may learn some dialect of English, of course.

Top Bottom