Iron and Blood: A Change of Worlds - Signups/Pregame Threads

I think a possible division of Spanish colonies could be that the colonies around the Caribbean had stronger bonds with Aragon due to the strong Aragonese presence in Florida, while the colonies in South America fell under Castilian sphere of influence. So when Spain split up, the colonies went with who they were closer to culturally/politically/etc.

If this were to be the case Gran Colombia could have been either Aragonese or Castilian (or maybe even both? :crazyeye:), and it would allow any exceptions to this "standard" since there would have been no strict division of colonies between the two Iberian powers.

This discussion concerns me (and probably all the other South American players) so I'll throw in my ideas so we can hash out exactly what happened regarding the Spanish/Portuguese colonies.

I think Gran Colombia would have secured independence from whichever of the Iberian states inherited it sometime around 1808 led by Francisco de Miranda, probably with help from Britain/Scotland (either covert or as part of a larger conflict). Does that interfere with anyone's plans for their history?

X-post: Colombia would likely be on the border of a north-south split so I'm happy to go with whichever Iberian power fits in best with other people's stories as Colombia's former motherland.

My timeline for an independent La Plata is eerily similar, so we may be able to mesh our two histories. I'm working from the assumption that the Viceroyalty of La Plata stuck with Spain/Castile (as opposed to Aragon) until the late 18th century and revolted properly in the early 1810s with some Scottish assistance. That would tend to go along with a north-south split of the Spanish colonies.
Two points we may want to address:
1) What happened to Brazil? It looks like Portugal got et by Castile, and as such Brazil is probably independent or at least semi-so.
2) The revolt of Alto Peru (Bolivia) is part of my history, and it (at least briefly) has independence. Does that affect anyone else's plans?
Also, Gurra, have you got any history worked out for your new nation?

Here's the history I have outlined for the Patagonian Republic:

The Patagonian Republic of the Southern Seas is a seafaring nation born out of the ashes of the former Castilian colonies of Chile and Patagonia. Its history as a sovereign nation is fairly new, the Republic of Patagonia was formed in 1812 when revolutionaries took control of Patagonian terrory after several local uprisings in the recent years had weakened Castille's grip on the region. A new capital city, Magallanes, was founded at the southern end of the continent, where the Pacific and the Atlantic oceans meet, after pushing back the shattered Castilian colonial forces into the Chilean Andes. Over the next few years (an unspecified amount of) people from Castilian controlled Chile migrated to Patagonia to find a new life in freedom, and with the help of new information and manpower the Republican forces were able to liberate Chile in 1818. Many of those who migrated from Chile chose to stay in Patagonia even after the liberation of Chile, mainly living in the capital Magallanes (thus giving the region a slightly higher population than it has in the real world.)

After the liberation of Chile the Republic of Patagonia gained control of a large portion of the Castilian Pacific Navy, and when several island kingdoms in the Pacific were threatened by European colonists the new Patagonian Navy helped defend their lands. In 1827 the four kingdoms of Samoa, Tonga, Tahiti and Rapa Nui elected to join the Republic and were incorporated as the Patagonian Pacific Territory, forming the Patagonian Republic of the Southern Seas along with the states of Chile and Patagonia.

So basically: Patagonia and Chile were the last(?) Castilian colonies left in the South. However, Castilian Patagonia was tormented by uprisings and when these local revolutionaries joined together it eventually lead to the retreat of Castilian colonial forces to their last holdout in Chile where the Castilian Pacific Navy had their base (this didn't help them against the land invasion that came). My timeline is set after 1810 so this story should make sense. Some years might have to be moved around though, like when the Republic of Patagonia was proclaimed, but that's ok with me. As long as there is a time gap which makes sense between the proclamation of the republic, liberation of Chile, and the Pacific campaign in aid of the native kingdoms.

What differs Patagonia from La Plata is that they (in my outline at least) were not directly assisted by any major power in their revolution. This is because the Castilian colonial forces were already spread thin and Patagonia is not the most populous part of South America anyway. And the only reason the Republic was able to aid the Pacific kingdoms later was because they gained control of the Castilian Pacific Navy after liberating Chile and taking over their base.

Edit: Added some things I failed to mention before I posted.
Edit2: Sorry for all the edits, that can be a little confusing if people read different versions of the post. I promise there will be no more edits to this one now! Hehe.

Maybe we could have some kind of Cold War between Castille and Aragon in the colonies, with Aragon helping Castillian colonies liberate and Castille doing the same in the Aragonese colonies, sabotaging each other empires. That sounds like the kind of idiocy only Spain could do.

North American is far too crowded; I'm changing my claims to Kashmir, Punjab, & Afghanistan

History & other details to come eventuallynow

-----

Kashmir Raj

Capital: Srinagar
Preferred Color: R181, G230, B29
Government: Autocratic Monarchy
Leader: Raja Narain Avinash
Language: Kashmiri
Social Policy: Caste System
Fiscal Policy: Arthashastra
Trade Policy: Mildly Protectionist
Monetary Policy: Gold Standard
Currency: Ropyih
Foriegn Policy: Pragmatic
Religion: Hindu
Spoiler History :
Oppression of the Hindu minority by the Durrani Empire bred extreme discontent; when Ahmad Shah Durrani died in 1772, civil war broke out in his Empire. It was then that an ambitious man from Srinagar, Sudhir Avinash, rallied a company of Hindus to his cause and began warring against the various claimants & petty warlords that were squabbling over the Durrani throne. Too embroiled in their war against each other and not thinking a nobody from Srinagar posed any threat to them, they did not begin any significant campaigns against him until it was too late, and at the Battle of Kabul in 1779, Sudhir's forces conquered the Durrani capital from Timur Shah and his troops declared him the Raj of Kashmir. It took a further four years to completely subjugate Afghanistan, but by the summer of 1783 Raj Sudhir's rule was uncontested.

He spent the remainder of his life fortifying his empire's borders and patronizing art. He was tolerant of Muslims outside of the Kashmir valley, but decided that he would need the people of his capital, at least, to follow the same faith he did to ensure their loyalty, and thus began aggressively converting Muslims in the area to Hinduism. It took nearly 15 years, but by 1800 Kashmir proper was entirely Hindu. Sudhir died in battle in 1819 against the invading forces of Ranjit Singh, leaving the task of defending his kingdom to his heir Narain, who successfully turned back the Sikh invaders at the Battle of Gujranwala. He spent the next ten years backing universities, investing in agriculture, and opening diplomatic relations with Nouvelle Babylone, which went surprisingly <however Civ'ed says they went>.

In that case, please switch me to Quebec, Ontario, Midwest as the République du Kanata., the successor state to New France.

Maybe we could have some kind of Cold War between Castille and Aragon in the colonies, with Aragon helping Castillian colonies liberate and Castille doing the same in the Aragonese colonies, sabotaging each other empires. That sounds like the kind of idiocy only Spain could do.

I'm intrigued by this suggestion. An interesting step further would be to have Scotland supporting the independence of the Castillian colonies and England/Great Britain supporting Aragonese revolters.
In any case, I'll have a history wrapped up here tonight or tomorrow.

I'm intrigued by this suggestion. An interesting step further would be to have Scotland supporting the independence of the Castillian colonies and England/Great Britain supporting Aragonese revolters.
In any case, I'll have a history wrapped up here tonight or tomorrow.

I like the Iberian angle, we'd have to get Celticfury's input on anything regarding Britain/Scotland first.

What history is there for South(east) Asia so far? I was thinking that my nation (Kingdom of Ayutthaya) was much more aggressive in the 1700s, conquered Vietnam and Burma, and now is trying to industrialize and hold back potential colonizers.

I will also be editing my original post soon.

Post updated, I've touched as lightly as I can on other nations but obviously it's likely to have more effect on some than others. JohannaK, cpm4001,WIM, Grandkhan and Gurra09 should probably check it out for conflicts (only Castille is mentioned by name in relation to anything specific but I've implied that Colombia backed subsequent revolutions, if you don't like it let me know).

célèbre. But I am not sure that the verb actually bears any accents. Also countries which name wnds in a tend to be female. 'La Kanata célèbre la <<rélation spéciale>> entre Paris et le Québèc.' Methinks.

Good point. I don't actually remember it very well, and I can't think of other countries ending in a. My bad.

Expect something from me Saturday. If I get nothing in by 12am Sunday EST assume I'm dropping.

Roughed out a history for La Plata; feel free to pick it apart as you wish. I deliberately left Scotland&#8217;s status as a nation vague, but I&#8217;m working from the assumption that they broke free from some sort of English-dominated nation in the 1700s (Great Britain failed as a nation?) It will, however, be up to Celticfury to flesh that out in more depth, and my history can certainly be changed relatively easily.

Roughed out a history for La Plata; feel free to pick it apart as you wish. I deliberately left Scotland&#8217;s status as a nation vague, but I&#8217;m working from the assumption that they broke free from some sort of English-dominated nation in the 1700s (Great Britain failed as a nation?) It will, however, be up to Celticfury to flesh that out in more depth, and my history can certainly be changed relatively easily.

Looks good, I do however have one change to recommend in the history and one regarding layout.

Regarding the history I've changed the name of my nation to the historical Republic of Colombia (Gran Colombia is a retrospective name given by historians to differentiate it from modern Colombia, similar to the way the Eastern Roman Empire has been retrospectively termed Byzantine).

Regarding the layout it's quite difficult to read text that long without line breaks on this forum. I toughed my way through it due to the close historical relationship Colombia and La Plata will inevitably have but those with less vested interest are likely to get five lines in and decide it's too much effort. Would you consider putting in some additional line breaks to make reading easier.

Top Bottom