[RD] Is NATO a threat to Russia? If so, how?

(....) how many USA troops deployed in EU?

Not all that much in fact, that's a bit of a canard...

Obviously we don't send troops to the Americas, what would they do there ?

Last edited:
let me give you something predictable . When France says France is man enough to fight Russians , ı readily accept that , France will fight alone . When America says America is man enough to fight Russians , ı readily accept that , America will fight alone . Don't bother to skirt things , if there is risk of China , don't worry , we will fight China in the name Democracy and Freedom and all the cr p , alone . There is enough for you all .

Time to realize that the non-USA countries aren't in a position to pose a threat to Russia. So yes, here effectively the only way mentioning Nato make sense, is if one means the US.
And since the function of NATO is the defense of Europe, it by definition poses no threat to Russia as such.

The reason we have this aggressive, emboldened Russia is the weakness of NATO. It was dying already.

Russia kind of jumped the gun on that. It really did demand de de fact dissolution in late 2021, and the US retreat across the Atlantic – or else it would take "military technical" action – which turned out to be the invasion of Ukraine.

But then Putin is aging, so the timeline isn't really based on what is going on with NATO, but all about the internal Russian situation.

How many NATO (EU) troops deployed in USA and how many USA troops deployed in EU? USA have 50% of NATO power. And it's now, after latest expansion. Only one country from NATO alliance can do independent policy - Turkey. All other more or less just satellite

Incorrect, all members can and are doing their own independent foreign policy. Sometimes to detriment of NATO, EU and their own people-see Hungary and recently, Slovakia. If you want to talk military, most members have their own foreign missions independent of NATO. For example...Czech Republic participates or recently participated in two foreign missions as part of EU-in Bosnia and Mali, one as part of MFO and one in Iraq, plus a few observers in African countries. All these are monitoring or training assistance, not actual armed engagement.

By the way, there are European NATO troops in USA on almost permanent training missions.

And Russia has enough military power and their track record shows they don't hesitate to use it whenever they see fit. Russia has always been an Imperialist power. And Russia's neighbors know this for certain, because they have always been the victims of that imperialism. What Russia is saying is that it's a provocation to Russia that the past victims of Russian imperialism are trying to protect themselves from being future victims of Russian imperialism.

But much like the victim of a murder attempt has the right to self defense, but the murderer does not have the right to murder, the victims of imperialism have the right to self defense, but the imperialist does not have the right to expand their empire. Russia is in the wrong here. They'll never see it. But they are.
The topic of the thread is whether NATO is a threat to Russia, not whether Russia is good or bad.

And it was just stated by none other than Kyr that NATO is in fact incapable of posing a threat to Russia. The US might, but not NATO.

In terms of posing a threat to anybody, USA and NATO are equivalent for all intents and purposes. At least until USA is a member of NATO.
It's strange that this even has to be explained.

Talking about false equivalences...

And Russia has enough military power and their track record shows they don't hesitate to use it whenever they see fit. Russia has always been an Imperialist power. And Russia's neighbors know this for certain, because they have always been the victims of that imperialism. What Russia is saying is that it's a provocation to Russia that the past victims of Russian imperialism are trying to protect themselves from being future victims of Russian imperialism.
Yes but Russia cannot sail halfway around the world and invade and topple another country in a couple of weeks, like this US can (or did). I believe that is where the fear lies. And I think it actually has to do more with petty resentment than any genuine worry.

Yes but Russia cannot sail halfway around the world and invade and topple another country in a couple of weeks, like this US can (or did). I believe that is where the fear lies. And I think it actually has to do more with petty resentment than any genuine worry.
"petty resentment" is a pretty good description of what we have seen so far, yep.

The more it goes, the more it seems that internet trolls took over this world. Hence why it's growing that unstable.

Now the question is whether that is an organic development or an orchestrated one.

When troops were building up near the Russia-Ukrainian border, Russia labeled talks of invasion as "fearmongering" and "Western Hysteria".
The same Russia who claims NATO is a threat to Russia, and used that as an excuse to actually invade Ukraine.

whereever NATO troops stand in Ukraine Russians keep clear . Instead of getting angry or whatever about Russian claims of killing French mercenaries , Macron should get some nice greens and appear on the border . He is younger even than me , is he not ? Let the war end now . Instead of securing budgets of the next 5 years . We hear we have nothing to fear from the Russians . Own your troops and watch the trolls beaten . Can't be that hard ...

My post wasn't about Iraq war, it's neither the latest nor the most significant of US military adventures.
As for the bludgeon, I'm not trying to persuade you that USA is a threat to us.

It's the answer to your question from Russian perspective.
USA has enough military power and their track record shows they don't hesitate to use it whenever they see fit.
Feel free to consider this position as illogical.
Then you have a problem with the US, not NATO.

How many NATO (EU) troops deployed in USA and how many USA troops deployed in EU? USA have 50% of NATO power. And it's now, after latest expansion. Only one country from NATO alliance can do independent policy - Turkey. All other more or less just satellite

When the US made a coalition to invade Irak, the only NATO nations to answer were the UK, and a hundred Polish. Germany and France sided with Russia to oppose it. Talk about satellites.

When the US made a big push to integrate Ukraine and Georgia into NATO in 2008, again they were not followed.

In terms of posing a threat to anybody, USA and NATO are equivalent for all intents and purposes. At least until USA is a member of NATO.
It's strange that this even has to be explained.
Well see above, and explain.

I hate the antichrist NATO vs Russia.png

Why would he have a problem with all 32 Nato countries? Seems rather senseless.
Because some folks keep saying "NATO" when they mean "a select few countries which would make more sense to list specifically". Nobody thinks anyone means 29 member-states, or 25, or even 15, right? It's a handful. It's always a handful, even if that handful varies.

So list them! It shouldn't hurt :D

I certainly don't agree with phrasing it as "is Nato a threat to Russia", fwiw. Exactly because Nato has massive power disparity between the US and the second and third tier, and then you have many countries with virtually zero military power.
The bases around Russia, too, are US ones, not run by Bulgaria or Croatia etc.

Top Bottom