Jeff Briggs confirms: Civ 4 currently in developement

ALRIGHT PEOPLE. get your suggestions in before they make it. now is the time to slam the ideas in! If a moderatior can make a forum that would be all the better, better to flow the ideas sooner rathert than later.

I see also that Firaxis is hiring a PS/2 programmer. Which makes me wonder if we'll see another Civ port to the console. . . Yes, the interface could be clunky with the current controller. Hey, what's that USB port on my PS/2 for? :hmm:

Excerpts from a conversation with my wife:

Turner727: Scroll down to the 13th paragraph, that starts "Firaxis currently has"...
http://www.gamedaily.com/features_new/firaxis/
Turner's Wife: Oh goodie, like I'm not already a Civ Widow
Turner727: Don't worry. . . It'll be a couple of years until it comes out. From what I understand, they're early in the development phase.
Turner727: But guess what?
Turner727: Firaxis is also looking to hire a PS/2 programmer. So I could play Civ on the Playstation!
Turner's wife: Oh, goody. They're going to love losing their playstation to their daddy. . .

:rotfl:

Don't you find it odd that Civ4 was mentioned in an article that was purely meant for Briggs and not an anouncement about Civ4?

I would have thought Sid Meier would make some announcement

I love it! Bring it on! I can never get enough of CIV. Since C3C is so awesome, that will do me a couple of years until CIV4 is released. :goodjob:

i hope they keep the iso view and won't change it to a 3d view - i like it that way, and i guess its easier for modders to create new things in the current thingie than it would be in 3d

maybe they could get away from sqares to hexagons or sth similar and let the cities grow about the 2 square area around the city

and i would like to see a better AI (especially for the babarians who are only stupid in C3C) and the time between turns should be faster

i have the feeling that the ai in civ2 was better and a hell of a lot faster

Originally posted by shirleyrocks
There are only four words that scare me when it comes to a possible Civ4 and those words are 'Master of Orion 3'.
You hit the nail on the head. :hammer:
Originally posted by kryszcztov
I can only smell another mess coming up. The faster they do it, the worst it will be. Hell, C3C isn't even working well, and they put resources into a new game ! :nuke: OK, you may say they need several games in development at the same time ; but it's about the same series ! :eek: I'm not happy with that news, really.
Welcome to the world of capitalism. :rolleyes: I think that for vanilla Civ3, PTW and Conquests, they brought them all out too soon, especially vanilla. Infogrames wanted to get some money coming in, and that didn't help the quality.

The fact that they start with Civilization IV so soon doesn't mean they're rushing it again, though. In the contrary: perhaps they want to do it right this time and take all the time they need. :)

to someone above:
You said that the swiss are isolatic? you tell me that we are a non-militaristic country? Pleas tell me that this was a joke?
Do you know, the 'civilization' Switzerland exists now for about 700 years (I know it's a bit untrue, but find a better date). We are neutral since 1914. The rest of the time, we were really often at war: with Habsburg, the Holy Empire of german nation (what's the real name?), with Milan, with France, with ourself (we are really foederalistic), etc. The Swiss part of the napoleonistic army, which went into Russia, was its backbone, without them, the army would have never left Russia again. Ok this may be a bit patrionistic. But for other: the Swiss mercenaries weren't feared all over Europe pointless! If you look at the modern times, you're right, but the modern time isn't the golden age of CH!

I'm sorry, I went off topic. But that made me angry... :)

Moderator Action: Yes, it's off-topic. If you want to debate history, go to the History Forum.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Ia only hope that we won't have to wait 10 menutes between turns in the modern age, couse for me these is the most dumb thing in the game...

I don't play civ for several months already, I just don't have enough time now, and I can't afford my self to wait huge amounts of time!

Offcourse the diplomcy must be fully chenged( so you will be able to meet several leaders at a time and negotiate together also you should be able to ask Let's say Japanese to stop war against China and stuff like that couse diplomacy didn't really changed from civ1( exepet the closed allinces and some uselee stuff)...)

This is just great news! :)
This obviously means that in order to announce the project so early, they must indeed have a pretty good idea of what they want now.

Wow! I didn't think it would come so quick! I fully agree with quality, not quantity.

I can't wait! Judging on the xpansion packs, the requiremnts may be Win98 or over. I better get a Win98 quick! Probably need another computer too, so I'll start saving!!! :)

Civilization 4 great to hear this.

But the fact that they have 2 secret projects is much more interesting maybe we will finally see Alpha Centauri 2 ohh please if there is a god :)

:beer: HHHHHAAAA! :beer:

This is really the best news since I learned civ3 was on the way...

I personnaly want added one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet. There's a lot of people who wants it 3D and a lots who don't. I want it both! A 2D view for the general graphics but a map on a 3D sphere instead of a pipe like all previous civ. I think that is one of the most important thing to add. It takes all it's sense when you reach flight and build planes. It also change the way one uses nukes...

But there is so much to say about civ 4 coming out... It really needs a separate forum.

BTW I'm on the side for quality. Civ3 was good, but it could have been better.

PS: Ho! and one last thing. They should take a few things from SMAC such as the possibility to create new types of units.

PPS: Long live Sid Meier! :thanx:

I agree for a new forum but it is probably early although I wouldn't mind it even if it didn't get a lot of posts or threads. It would keep things organized anyway. :)

it seemed obvious that they would work on a new civ game, apparently civ3 sold millions of copies and they will not put all their money on Pirates!, which may or may not sell...

You got it right in your blurb, Chieftess. "Just when I was sinking my teeth into Conquests"... just when I figure CivIII has been perfected...

A trivial thing maybe but could we have the Civ IV Collectors Edition available outside the US? I know there are shops that import such things to the UK and probably elsewhere but it would be nice to have it more readily available. :)

Top Bottom