[LP] Julius Caesar: First Look

Om the contrary, Julius will be a very good leader in barb clan mode. Remember, you only get XP for clearing camps in that mode, he'll get both.

The cool down between buying units from the same camp makes it impractical to try and buy more than one. What he could do is buy a unit, clear the camp, and recoup some of the gold from the purchase.

The gold from cities seems to be more of a reward for doing something than a reason to do it, but that camp gold is low key powerful
The problem with that ability is that it adds less value once you consider farming.
I usually play on epic and occasionally on marathon, and farming barb camps (raid clan?) is very valuable there, to the point that I raid the clan, buy a new warrior and use that to repeatedly raid another clan.
I could of course clear it out immediately (it would be interesting to see how much you gain from that versus just raiding) for straight up cash, but either way it kind of conflicts with how barb camps can already be used for that purpose (early cash for early units), so the actual value added is quite a bit less.

I'm just not a big fan of this ability, because of how the timing on that early gold misses the mark.
That being said - if you can raid a clan, have enough gold to buy a unit with that gold and then clear it out (for an amount that adds up to another unit), then it might be slightly interesting for ancient era rushing purposes on slower speeds.
Albeit subject to RNG because you can't control where barb camps spawn (if at all), nor what units they sell (it could be Galleys, which are often useless in a lot of cases).
But apart from that I don't see this ability adding much of value over Trajan's ability, which is pretty strong by itself.

TL;DR: This guy needs some other bonus on top of that early gold, as this is one of the absolutely weakest domination focused leader abilities atm.

The ability is just OK to me.
What would've made it more interesting is dynamic scaling. I just never like these "+X" static, flat bonuses.

What would be more fun is a bonus that constantly scales up bit by bit, say with every Technology you have or every Capital you conquer. This "feels" more exciting to the player and with the right scaling, it ensures the ability can avoid being both OP and useless.

Last edited:
Also kaisar in Turkish (as Suleiman introduces himself in Civ6) and qeysâr in Persian (via Arabic or Aramaic, I imagine?), among many others. If I'm not mistaken, Slavic tsar is derived via Germanic rather than directly from Latin.
Who in Ottoman Empire claimed the title 'Emperor of Rome' for himself?

Who in Ottoman Empire claimed the title 'Emperor of Rome' for himself?
The Ottoman sultans starting with Mehmet II after he was crowned Roman Emperor by the Orthodox patriarch after he conquered Constantinople.

I am playing with Julius in barb clan mode and I don't get any gold clearing encampments. Let's hope the will fix this.

I wonder if that's a late addition or a late subtraction because it's not in the livestream abilities list.

It's not in the game version either.
See screengrab below.

To call this 'underwhelming' would be to exaggerate it's 'benefits'.
We lose the starting building in new cities and gain...a small amount of gold.
Whoop de do.

(I still do not really understand why Octavian/Augustus is not a Rome leader - but there you go)

Attachments

• no wild card policy mentioned.jpg
    no wild card policy mentioned.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 28
We lose the starting building in new cities and gain...a small amount of gold.
That was my initial reaction then I played a game where my 4 warriors generated enough gold from barb camps to upgrade themselves to Legions ....

Does anyone have an idea, why this restriction? Will he be gone forever for acquisition purposes afterwards? Or just added to the game without any linking required?
Maybe so they're not committing to 2K accounts connecting successfully after that date

Does anyone have an idea, why this restriction? Will he be gone forever for acquisition purposes afterwards? Or just added to the game without any linking required?
Almost every offer will have a closing date. Even things like freebie coffee cards - the idea being that in 20 years time when the company has moved on from doing coffee or whatever, someone can't turn up and claim their free coffee, creating an issue. They may extend that date or whatever. They're just not committing to providing him after that - which makes sense, that's firmly in Civ VII territory, in my opinion. They're likely to switch to a free Civ VII leader or just not bother at that point.

Maybe so they're not committing to 2K accounts connecting successfully after that date

Almost every offer will have a closing date. Even things like freebie coffee cards - the idea being that in 20 years time when the company has moved on from doing coffee or whatever, someone can't turn up and claim their free coffee, creating an issue. They may extend that date or whatever. They're just not committing to providing him after that - which makes sense, that's firmly in Civ VII territory, in my opinion. They're likely to switch to a free Civ VII leader or just not bother at that point.
This may be very true, but does the linking for the cat scout get similar treatment? I'm not sure if there was a time limit for the cat scouts.

I played JC briefly last night and started next to Kandy. Taking the city seemed very appropriate. Getting extra rewards for early conquest felt very powerful.

This may be very true, but does the linking for the cat scout get similar treatment? I'm not sure if there was a time limit for the cat scouts.

I don't believe there was any end date for Scout Cat (announcement here). I only just linked my account to get Caesar, and Scout Cat has appeared in my game as well.

Not sure what his gold for Marathon speed will be. I am concerned that it may take raiding 5 barbarian camps to even get enough gold to buy 1 monument (720 gold).

Taking cities will be better of course, but if you already have the army to do so, you don't need gold as much at that point.

My only game I'm playing so far AI Julius was on the left side of a continent with neighbors close by on the other sides. Poor guy didn't have many camps to clear I'm sure. And the AI was too passive to start a war. His army was at 0 when me as Lincoln declared on him. I almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

Top Bottom