Kebab: unhealthy?

lamb is my second most favourite meat. I want a lamb kebap now. are those even sold here in Germany?

Are there a little bit more expensive than the ones served with turkey meat?

I haven't seen a Turkey kebab before. I don't think we have too much of that here anyway, unless it's been put in as a substitute without telling anyone.

I can only apologize for not having statistics at hand for every single country where kebab is served. I thought a study on 494 kebabs would be food for debate, and that if more than a third of those actually had different ingredients than what the restaurant promised, well, it would raise an eyebrow. I can't see how's your local restaurant like.

(Not aimed at eastsidebagel): That fast food definitely does not mean healthy should be common knowledge, but many see kebab rather as ethnic food.

I haven't seen a Turkey kebab before. I don't think we have too much of that here anyway, unless it's been put in as a substitute without telling anyone.

aha! over here turkey is the "other meat". most of the time at a slight increase in price.

And to answer OP once and for all: Toasted bread, low-fat meat, salad, cabbage and a dressing. Tell me one ingredient in it which might be perceived as hurtful to your health! :gripe:

we are both talking about a Döner Kebab, right? low fat does not even come into it according to most tv documentaries I have seen. it is quite similar to fast food chains burgers, really. the meat gyrating on that spit is made up of layers. depending on how expensive the entire thing is (which of course relates to the profits you are making off of it) the ratio of low-fat "pure" meat to profit layers - what would otherwise end up in some landfill or a hot dog and is really mostly fat - varies. now there is, also, a big difference in where you buy your kebab. the way it has been explained to me is that the higher the percentage of Turkish people in the area the more likely you are to having decent meat in kebab, we Jerrys apparently eat just about anything.

I can only apologize for not having statistics at hand for every single country where kebab is served.

It's HUGE in Sweden. Their large influx of immigrants from Iran, Iraq, Kurds etc (especially in Helsingborg, Malmo and Lund... southern cities) has resulted in a kebab store being on nearly every single corner - they're like burger kings there. If you want a pizza in those cities, chances are it comes from a primarily kebab resturant.

Those southern Swedes cannot get enough kebab! I don't know about the northern cities.

For the record, I was treated fantastically by the rare kebab store I entered (for a cheese-less pizza and a drink on a cold rainy night). It was staffed by an Iraqi and a Kurd (strangely differenciated by them up-front) who were awesome guys.

Life is ultimately extremely unhealthy, as it tends to end terminally...

we are both talking about a Döner Kebab, right? low fat does not even come into it according to most tv documentaries I have seen. it is quite similar to fast food chains burgers, really. the meat gyrating on that spit is made up of layers. depending on how expensive the entire thing is (which of course relates to the profits you are making off of it) the ratio of low-fat "pure" meat to profit layers - what would otherwise end up in some landfill or a hot dog and is really mostly fat - varies. now there is, also, a big difference in where you buy your kebab. the way it has been explained to me is that the higher the percentage of Turkish people in the area the more likely you are to having decent meat in kebab, we Jerrys apparently eat just about anything.
Well, maybe I'm the ignorant one in this discussion, but just judging by my experience, Döner isn't possibly as unhealthy as some other fast foods you could buy instead.
Back in Aachen, I have one or two Turks at my hand where I'm usually buying my Döners from and they're just delicious and satisfying, not like a fat-packed beast like the one described in the OP's article.
And either way, if you eat it in decent measures, what could go possibly wrong?

As someone living in england, I would just like to say you guys have no concept of staggering out of the bloody nearest battle cruiser at 2:30 am, with the ability to walk nigh near gone, and then fiding an oasis in the middle of the desert full of pissheads, urinating neds, and cops giving general abuse, stocking up on beautiful food, then projectile vomiting it all against the glass of a taxi.

Top Bottom