Last CivFanatics Preview: Filling in the Gaps!

Raggamuffin said:
Didn't you read it?

"map sizes are Duel, Tiny, Small, Standard, Large, Huge and of course, Random!"

"Random" is not "Custom". Custom means I define the map parameters.

Does jungle have an unusually-high movement cost, or something? What could possibly justify giving India such a weak UU, otherwise?

If workers had movement 1, movement 2 would be a huge advantage. I'm just not seeing what makes movement 3 so useful.

What's the normal cost for a worker?

The russian cossack upgrades to a gunboat???

They must turn the horses into gun boat fuel!!! Shovel some more horses into the furnace please :)

Stuie said:

My bad. Sorry for that. I misread it.

darkdude said:
According to a preview, 'Noble' is the no-bonus level.

The fourth one, ok. Thanks. What was it in Civ3, Prince or Monarch?

"What could possibly justify giving India such a weak UU, otherwise?"

Perhaps India's leader traits balance are so powerful that their UU had to be turned down...

Note that even though on higher difficulty levels the AI has certain production bonuses, it is blind this time around. This means that it does not know where every resource, etc is on the terrain. Basically what you see, it sees also.
Excellent! No more cheating AI :D
All 18 unique units in Civilization IV are labelled in this screenshot! Before I mention the specific details, it should also be known that Unique Units can also be gifted to other Civilizations.
Meaning the individual units can be gifted, or the ability to make them?

Russian Cossack (Mounted Unit. Replaces the Standard Cavalry):
18 Strength, 2 Movement, 120 Hammers
[...] This unit upgrades to the Gunship.

But, mister... WHAT exactly are you doing with this horse? :eek:

:banana: :goodjob: :banana:

Damn, I missed the thread... Sorry. ^^;

Mercade said:
Excellent! No more cheating AI :D

Meaning the individual units can be gifted, or the ability to make them?

You can "gift"/give them to other Civs.

Stuie said:

From the main custom game scree, no.

Melendwyr said:
Does jungle have an unusually-high movement cost, or something? What could possibly justify giving India such a weak UU, otherwise?

If workers had movement 1, movement 2 would be a huge advantage. I'm just not seeing what makes movement 3 so useful.

Means you can move into a forest or hills and start mining or clearing right away. And you can do that the whole game, instead of for just an era.

edit - They can also move into difficult terrain and begin building a road immediately, instead of waiting

I love the Mongol UU - ignores terrain. My choice for playing an aggressive civ.

Civrules said:
Nah, that's a mistake. It is actually 35 hammers. I'll ask TF to fix it for me. :) Thanks for pointing it out.
[EDIT] There's one or two more incorrect hammer #s...
Keshik 50 Hammers.
Skirmisher 25 Hammers.
Fast worker 60 Hammers.
Oh, thanks for clearing that up. :)

I don't know why people are complaining about the Indian UU. It seems a little TOO powerful, to me...

Seems the Aztecs get a bit screwed, compared to the Romans.

Jaguar Warrior - replaces sword. 5/1 for 40 hammers, with 10% city attack bonus and 25% jungle defense bonus.

Roman Praetorium - replaces sword. 8/1 for 40 hammers. And it needs iron.

But, just iron gives 3 extra strength? That's immense. If the strength cubing theories around are right, one praeotrium is worth roughly 4 jaguars. For the same shields. Hardly seems fair.

BTW, jaguar seems a bit odd for a UU. Weaker than the unit it replaces? Same cost? Does not appeal to me.

Finally, is the samurai really 46 hammers? It's another odd number sticking out but not corrected.

Arathorn

Civrules said:
BTW, interesting to see no one is mentioning anything regarding the no Civ limit rule, even on a Duel-sized map. :mischief:

This is something I will use definitely. How small is a duel sized map btw?
In Civ3 it was quite a bother to edit this kind of simple things.

So I am happy that this is done on start up time and for the rest accesible XML files :)

The Panzers and the Navy Seals both look very good and very hard, must make sure they are wiped out before we get to that age. The Romans are going to be good, who wants them as a neighbour? I like the Redcoats, there gonna be tough in that age and in perfect time to carry on their tradition of French bashing, which as an englishman, i'm gonna look forward to.

Great article, my excitement has risen one more notch

Whoa. Nice Info.:eek:

One tiny gripe - I guess it's official that the Roman UU will be the Praetorian... which is just dandy 'cept the Legions, not the Praetorians, were the true military force of the Roman empire. The Praetorians were bodyguards who meddled in politics from time to time, and served in a few military campaigns. Yet, they were small in number(never exceeding 9000 men total), and it is a travesty to neglect the Legion, the most innovative and successful military unit for hundreds of years, in favor of a handful of bodyguards.[/rant] I'll be changing that right quick once I get my copy.

Ex Mudder said:
Means you can move into a forest or hills and start mining or clearing right away. And you can do that the whole game, instead of for just an era.
Somehow I doubt I'm going to be constructing mines or clearing forests before bulding any roads very frequently. Certainly not for the whole game.

What is the difference between ceasefire and normal peace-treaty? (its seems there is a difference, its just not explained)

Melendwyr said:

India and America have the only UUs in the game that don't become outdated.

And India has acess to theirs for the whole game.

To be honest, I didn't even read the unique units info. All those numbers don't do anything for me. The other stuff was great though, I especially like the fact that you can now build spys.

Wonderkid said:
I like the Redcoats, there gonna be tough in that age and in perfect time to carry on their tradition of French bashing, which as an englishman, i'm gonna look forward to.

hear hear!! :cool:

:sniper:

Top Bottom