Laundry Plus Heating?

Some here have also posted about going to laundromats which is a bit weird

The laundry in the basement of the apartment building was broken for a few weeks and I had started searching for laundromats nearby. There are a few in the inner city, but not very many and the nearest one was like 4km away.

Fortunately the laundry was replaced before I completely ran out of clothes to wear (home office certainly helped).

That's weird :D
In my mother's family house in the village we've always hanged them in the garden on the line between the cherry trees :) Now I live in the block and almost everyone hangs their clothes on balcony every summer.
There is a stigma in the US connected to hanging clothes outside. "What? You cannot afford a dryer?" None-the-less, many people still do. Some HOAs though do not allow it because hanging clothes out would diminish the quality of life in the neighborhood.....

There is a stigma in the US connected to hanging clothes outside. "What? You cannot afford a dryer?" None-the-less, many people still do. Some HOAs though do not allow it because hanging clothes out would diminish the quality of life in the neighborhood.....

Now that's just plain stupid in my opinion. Why use energy on dryers and pollute our planet when we can simply hang the clothes outside to dry.
Sorry when I hear a text like "diminishing quality of life" I cannot react differently than :

Now that's just plain stupid in my opinion. Why use energy on dryers and pollute our planet when we can simply hang the clothes outside to dry.
Sorry when I hear a text like "diminishing quality of life" I cannot react differently than :
You can completely eliminate your cost of living and carbon footprint if you go live in a cave and subsist on boulder moss :p

Some of us enjoy our luxuries XD

You can completely eliminate your cost of living and carbon footprint if you go live in a cave and subsist on boulder moss :p

Some of us enjoy our luxuries XD

I don't have as much of a problem with dryers as with forbidding the alternative ;)

Dryers are mostly US/Canadian thing as far as I noticed, they are much less popular in Europe.
Another weird things popular in America are upright vacuum cleaners (Europeans use canister type) and corded electric kettles.

Edit: And also huge vertical loaded washing machines.

And also huge vertical loaded washing machines.

Mine too is vertically loaded and has drying function (clothes are however still little wet when pulled out) . It's not that big however.

Hey elk I was wondering if You remember this one ? :D :
Spoiler Pralka Frania :

My mother had one in the 80's :) Now I keep this antique in the basement. I've heard some people still use it to make moonshine xD

A problem with external hanging is that to stop many types of clothing items being blown away in the wind, one has
to use strong gripping clothes pegs/pins, and the part where the pegs grip the clothes are often heavily creased.

This means that many line hung clothes need to be ironed which uses electricity, ages the clothes and takes time.

There is also a problem with theft.

And if one hangs the wet clothes inside, the water transfers to the air then to the wall paper or ceiling plaster etc

'Quality of life'? Dont understand that one, unless it's indirectly from drop in property values. It's perceived to be making the neighborhood look more 'poor' (might not affect how you, personally, value the property, but for some people it does, thus resulting in fewer interested buyers, thus generally lower values.)
Too bad I cant get everyone to put up clothes lines when I'm buying, and take them all down when I'm selling....

I don't have as much of a problem with dryers as with forbidding the alternative ;)
A lot of people here associate clotheslines with like a "trailer park" sort of vibe, so if you live in an upscale subdivision with a Homeowners Association it makes sense that they would want to maintain a certain aesthetic in the neighborhood

My apartment has a washer and dryer. I air dry a few things. Appallingly enough, I often leave my clothes in the dryer for days, essentially using the dryer as a dresser, re-running for a few minutes it now and then to keep things from getting wrinkly.

Other cleaning things:
- I don't have a vacuum. I just use a broom. Though I should probably get a swiffer or mop or something.
- I have a dish washer that I rarely run. I usually hand wash my dishes and use the dish washer as a big drying rack.
- I try not to use paper towels. I bought a bunch of small cloth hand towels a while back and just wash them.

I have central AC and heating. Historically, I try not use either that much and make do with open windows when the weather is nice enough. Currently, people are often obnoxious outside and make me regret opening windows.

A lot of people here associate clotheslines with like a "trailer park" sort of vibe, so if you live in an upscale subdivision with a Homeowners Association it makes sense that they would want to maintain a certain aesthetic in the neighborhood

It reminds me of a certain X-Files episode I've watched recently about an "elite" neighborhood where people had to obey the strict "aesthetic" rules and if they didn't a monster would kill them :lol: Somehow I'm glad I don't live in such uptight "prim n' proper" neighborhood.

Here we have one coin-operated washer and dryer for the entire apartment building. One of our neighbours sometimes dumps other's wet clothes on the floor if she wants to use it. Nobody likes her. No place for a clothesline so sometimes wet clothes go up on the shower curtain pole.

- I try not to use paper towels. I bought a bunch of small cloth hand towels a while back and just wash them.
:) This is so easy. Everyone should do it. We've haven't used paper towels in 40 years. Dollar stores carry packs of cheap washcloths that are perfect for wiping up spills and you just toss them in the laundry. We have a drawer with about 20 of them. They will last for years.

It's funny but I can't think of much that's more... well I can't think of the right word, but maybe "wholesome", "friendly" or perhaps "cuddly" or even "neighbourly"... than the sight of clothes hanging out on a washing line. I'd associate dryers with people who live in apartments or somewhere horrendously urban who don't have access to a nice outside area or garden.

It's funny but I can't think of much that's more... well I can't think of the right word, but maybe "wholesome", "friendly" or perhaps "cuddly" or even "neighbourly"... than the sight of clothes hanging out on a washing line. I'd associate dryers with people who live in apartments or somewhere horrendously urban who don't have access to a nice outside area or garden.

I once lived in a neighborhood where people hanged their clothes between blocks. It was very peaceful and friendly neighborhood. I've never heard of any theft.

I have a cheap vertical-loaded washing machine and a rack for air drying.

I don't like it very much. I have limited action points every day and the process of going back and forth and hanging clothes is overly taxing for no good reason. I just leave my week's clothes hanging on the rack all week. I wish I had a dryer, and a washer that could handle novel and unusual items like towels and bath mats.

Heating is done via the floor. I also don't like this. The thermostat is unreliable and the heat just feels off. Makes me feel weird.

Central heating, they keep temperature ~20+ C, self-regulating depending on weather outside. I pay for it something about 30$ per month, from October to April.
Washing machine in bathroom, hang dry. Pretty standard for Russia.

Ice on windows means your windows lack proper thermal insulation. We had this problem in our old apartment.
In my current one, when I did renovation, I installed windows which don't freeze and also block outside sounds pretty well. More expensive, but worth it.

Windows are 4mm thick glass not double or triple glazed.

IDK what hearing costs but the power bill is $70 a month roughly in summer and double to triple that in winter.

It's a bout more temperate here. I'm in the cold part of the country and we get 1-3 days if snow per year and frost's.

In the warm parts it's kinda like Sochi. Frost would be rare in winter.

So warner than day UK, probably not as warm as Spain.

Threads busier than I thought. Such a dumb simple question but it looks like in in the minority lol.

Top Bottom