[LP] Leader Pass: Great Commanders - 12/14 Developer Livestream Discussion

I think the leader pass as warm-up to an announcement at whatever the next big expo is (E3 in June 2023?) and a release in October of 2023 would make sense.

But at this point, especially with the interview Ed Beach gave previously, I'm not gonna hold my breath. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the above is the current plan, but 6 months from now they still haven't been able to staff up their developer resources, they are still behind on development, and we get a LP2 with an October 2024 release :p

Am I wrong or does Togukawa in the live show have a different face shape than in the spot? It looks like the initial one
The face in the First Look is this one:
1671053759726.png

That would be the model from the original leak.

However, the in-game model looks like the one from the Leader Pass announcement.

Edit: Nader Shah also looks pretty rough in the First Look, but fine later on.

Last edited:
Kind of a petty knit pick, but I really dislike the default jersey colors they chose for Suleiman. The green/pink combination just does not work at all and I really don't see why they didn't go with the red/white combination.

So, they never showed the "Golden Age of Suleiman" agenda?
No, but the Fandom wiki says its a custom-name version of the Sycophant agenda, which makes sense. One of the streamers from the charity stream played as new Suleiman so I'm guessing that's where the info comes from.

imagine how much more they could show if they didn't have slow movement enabled. :) I haven't used that since my very first game. Does anyone actually play with this on?

imagine how much more they could show if they didn't have slow movement enabled. :) I haven't used that since my very first game. Does anyone actually play with this on?
I do. The fast movement is immersion-breaking for me. And I play marathon, so speed obviously isn't really a priority for me.

I turned it off 6 years ago. But more and more often the thought comes to turn it back on for more immersion

I don't think they'd have saved much time, it's only a 1 hour stream, I doubt the total amount saved is more than 5 minutes.

Besides, most time saved is from not having to watch AI movements at the end of the turn. If you're playing with only a few AI on a smaller map (less City States and less barbarians) and you're not past the Industrial Era, I don't think the time saved is that significant.

I turn it on ocasionally because I like to see the units move.

Who wants a finely-tuned, well-balanced strategy game nowadays? :D
Not me! That's a requirement for competitive multiplayer games like Starcraft or AoE.

Trying to balance +50 Civs/Leaders sounds like a great way to get nothing done.

Civs should be unbalanced, to some extent. If they're game breaking OP or boringly weak then that might be a problem. Anyway, whether its fun AND AI can use its mechanisms is should always be the priority in a single player focused experience like Civ, imo.

Last edited:
Interesting to hear Ed say that they didn't have time (1:22:15 on YT video) to address bug fixing beginning with the 1st pack of LP. So nobody at FXS was available for a year and a half to follow up on the April patch last year in case some bug fixing was required. Are they stretched that thin across their projects? Resources 'optimised' to multiple breaking points? 2K is a harsh overlord if that is so.
A single page of patch notes in Ed's hands is a bit discouraging, I would've preferred so see something in multiple and rather thick volumes, but hey, at least that's a start and sooner than never :)
First thing I'm doing will be opening the Victories.xml file and looking what becomes of that notorious value of 150.

Interesting to hear Ed say that they didn't have time (1:22:15 on YT video) to address bug fixing beginning with the 1st pack of LP. So nobody at FXS was available for a year and a half to follow up on the April patch last year in case some bug fixing was required. Are they stretched that thin across their projects? Resources 'optimised' to multiple breaking points? 2K is a harsh overlord if that is so.
A single page of patch notes in Ed's hands is a bit discouraging, I would've preferred so see something in multiple and rather thick volumes, but hey, at least that's a start and sooner than never :)
First thing I'm doing will be opening the Victories.xml file and looking what becomes of that notorious value of 150.
It's been noted before that a lot of Civ personnel jumped ship after NFP. In addition, they had Midnight Suns in development, which was delayed thrice and as a high profile product, would have commanded the lion's share of the studio's resources. Since Civ VI was all but declared complete back in Spring 2021, Civ's core team has presumably been working on Civ VII, not the Leader Pass. So, no. No one was available to flatten Civ VI's last bugs.

Frankly, I'm not surprised that the Leader Pass is a last minute rush job. Not only was it not a priority, it probably wasn't even in consideration for a majority of that time. Something in the studio's calculus changed, probably mid-summer when Midnight Suns was delayed from October to December, that finally opened up an opportunity to blow the dust off Civ VI's code. Speculatively, I suggest that it was realized Civ VII still wouldn't be ready for another few years, so they needed something to serve as a 'fix' for fans and the series' revenue stream in the interim.

Was anyone else hoping for a surprise reveal in the livestream (as we got JC in the first one)?

Holding my hopes for Isabella in the last Leaderpack, but I don't think we will have much surprises in the middle ones (especifically for leaders). Altough we had a "surprise" in this Livestream, that was the bug fix plan, and we might even be open for more along the way: yep they said they were not able to touch much code for the packs but come on, who believes they will be bringing in Ludwig II and NOT bringing in Neuscwhanstein? ( :p probably not, but one can hope).

Top Bottom