[LP] Leader Pass Pack 2: Great Commanders (Dec. 2022) - Patch Notes Discussion

Now it's fun. Three joint wars against me was a surprise. AI even use spies. I do not think it was intentional but spy destroyed my dam and enemy forces took this city in two turns. I think AI is more aggressive after patch.

I've just had a Formal War declared on me by 2 Civs on the same turn, can't remember that ever happening before?!
It used to happen before the science bug...but it never happened that both would attack, and occasionally neither would. Did they actually attack you?

Edit: Sorry didn't see there was another page with a couple of posts and you saying about Mays.

Yeah Maya did but never saw any Nubian troops. I've had DOWs before but the formal War surprised me!
Well, there you go. It actually was a surprise war, and all is well in the world. :mischief:

Fixing the science bug seems to have resulted in more aggression.

Well, I'm mostly playing on emperor, but I did a game with the 3 new leaders and won two science/one culture games and I don't think I went to war once, except to liberate a city state.

Has anyone else played a recent game with Heroes mode on? It would be useful to know if the great works bug is general or just me.

Has anyone else played a recent game with Heroes mode on? It would be useful to know if the great works bug is general or just me.
Yeah, it happens to me too.

Edit: To be clear, it's because of revealing a Heroic Artifact through an Archaeologist.

Last edited:

I'm playing it right now. I didn't get the bug, but Arthur got killed by a tornado and I didn't get any of the usual warnings, nor apparently the Era Score for a Hero departing. I guess it was too humiliating a death.

The Epic is still there though.

I played a game last week with it on and I didn't experience the bug. But I avoid getting any relics from AI heroes, I don't trade my own hero relics, and I use the mod that makes the great works screen better.

I've experienced the bug previously. It started when the heroes mode was released. It's likely to do with having too many hero relics vs. slots for them or something like that.

I seem to get it whenever a hero reaches the end of their lifespan. Happened whern heroes first came out and then not until the latest patch.

I don't know if it's because the leaders/civs are so imbalanced or just because I'm rubbish, but Emperor feels nigh impossible to beat these days.

I'm getting old

I haven't noticed any major changes other than a bit of increased ai tech rate (since before I was playing with it set on 15 via mod). I normally play emperor since I can reliably win on that difficulty without much trouble, but the AI isn't horribly behind. Though I'm still on my first game since the patch. I really can only play on my days off and I play marathon. I am using mods, but only ui mods at the moment.

I'm playing Japan and I did do a somewhat early conquest of Portugal. Perhaps I was lucky to not get a strong neighbor. I wasn't planning on it but he DOW me first, so I figured I'd Agoge up and smash him. He was forward settling me anyways. I've been peaceful ever since, I have enough room for all my cities now.

I often go for the 4 policy card increasing wonders, the only one I missed out on was Alhambra, but I normally miss out on that one, usually only get it 25% of the time or so. So 3 out of 4 is normal for me. The new Japan leader is fairly strong I think, so that may help.

One thing I noticed is Rome got industrialization super early. Though even before the patch AI seems to like to get to that tech early. I had no chance at Ruhr Valley.

One thing I noticed with the latest update is that spying is much better. It makes more sense to produce spies now because the AI is more likely to build commercial hubs to siphon funds from, and it seems like the AI is much more aggressive with spying as well. In a recent Korea game, the AI managed to successfully spy on me maybe half a dozen times? After the first few, I got the message and started counterspying and caught a few enemy spies.

Also, with the AI focusing less on science, now, I'm inclined to rate science civs more highly since Great Scientists are easier to pick up, whereas culture games can be really challenging. Greece is completely terrifying to face in a culture game.

Probably a coincidence since it's not addressed in the patch notes, but I don't think I had one single recruit partisans operation performed on me. Though I know the AI did it on each other at least a couple of times. And like usual, I built plenty of neighborhoods. I like to grow my cities large at the end, I like a decent score and to get the Augustus rating at the end. But it could be a coincidence, it didn't used to happen every game anyways. It just seemed like the AI's did more operations on each other than all gang up on me.

Probably a coincidence since it's not addressed in the patch notes, but I don't think I had one single recruit partisans operation performed on me. Though I know the AI did it on each other at least a couple of times. And like usual, I built plenty of neighborhoods. I like to grow my cities large at the end, I like a decent score and to get the Augustus rating at the end. But it could be a coincidence, it didn't used to happen every game anyways. It just seemed like the AI's did more operations on each other than all gang up on me.
I've had it done against me, a couple of times in my last game.

I haven't noticed any major changes other than a bit of increased ai tech rate (since before I was playing with it set on 15 via mod). I normally play emperor since I can reliably win on that difficulty without much trouble, but the AI isn't horribly behind. Though I'm still on my first game since the patch. I really can only play on my days off and I play marathon. I am using mods, but only ui mods at the moment.

I'm playing Japan and I did do a somewhat early conquest of Portugal. Perhaps I was lucky to not get a strong neighbor. I wasn't planning on it but he DOW me first, so I figured I'd Agoge up and smash him. He was forward settling me anyways. I've been peaceful ever since, I have enough room for all my cities now.

I often go for the 4 policy card increasing wonders, the only one I missed out on was Alhambra, but I normally miss out on that one, usually only get it 25% of the time or so. So 3 out of 4 is normal for me. The new Japan leader is fairly strong I think, so that may help.

One thing I noticed is Rome got industrialization super early. Though even before the patch AI seems to like to get to that tech early. I had no chance at Ruhr Valley.

I got my act together a bit and made more effort (Emperor difficulty). Good initial city placement and deciding what victory type you want ASAP are crucial.

AI can put up a good fight. I certainly find it a challenge. My only complaint is that war is so nerfed that conquest and domination victories are so much more difficult than religion or diplomatic ones!

Top Bottom