1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Play: Deity BC Space: Strategies from a 10 year veteran

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by WastinTime, Sep 10, 2016.

1. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

I was very disappointed with Civ6 and in Civ4 I realized I will need to go beyond 80:20 principle to be as good as I want, and as I am an engineer, I don't find it efficient to go beyond. :D
    But, mostly, life, another kid, more work, less time, soon 30, receding hairline. Totally ordinary turn of events and reaction to it. Somehow I have become very ordinary man. :D

I see you are still keeping community alive. :goodjob: You are a champion, just like WT.

2. 12tn2

12tn2 Prince

Tks, I've just done that. BTW, since you mentioned you've got a new gaming rig, I'd like to ask this a bit out of topic question: do you think this laptop can run late game turns smoothly? I consider myself a decent early game player, but basically a late game noob just because of hardware limitation :p

3. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

It should be fine. My last gaming computer was a laptop with a GTX 750M which is similar, but slightly better than your R5 330M.
    My new rig: I was lucky to get a GTX 1070 before the crypto-miners got popular.

4. 12tn2

12tn2 Prince

It would have been fine, for that machine is actually the suspected con job I mentioned earlier. Now that the case is open, it'd be some time before eBay's decision & its effect to take place.
    Indeed lucky you - GTX 1070 is dozen(s) of times more powerful than mentioned cards. On a related side note, I think the crypto economy is broken (somewhat like your wonder economy) & will wither in the long term (STRIKE! economy similarity) :D

5. Pedro78

Pedro78 King

A bit late to the party, but that was an impressive game. Congratulations.

6. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

Amazing game, WT.

I didn't get a notification when you started back up from your hiatus several months ago while I was choking on my popcorn (post #786 - can't get the link think to work). I finally took the time to read this thread to the end.

Have you spent any time thinking what you'd do differently to land in the BCs?

7. WastinTime

Yeah, I should probably write it all down before I forget. Some small things may have slipped away already. Rather than try to think out loud and spew out the info this post, I'll write up something off-line first, edit it, and then post a more complete thought.
    It's starts with this early Kremlin idea.

8. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

Now that the Strike Monster is your pet, I'm guessing that you may have a better feel about how early to trigger it. When reading the thread, it seemed like it came on you sooner than you expected which might mean that you could have started it a bit sooner. Plus, you started the game not even considering this option so would planning on it from the start change anything?

Since you built all of the space ship parts 1 turn after finishing research, I don't think you could have saved any turns there but I'm guessing you might have started to prepare the cities a bit sooner.

Another thought would be GP production. You can't count on getting a free Golden Age from a event so future games would likely have to plan on running a three-GP GA, right? Or did the fact that your research didn't change much in our out of the GA mean that you could live without this GA? I'm assuming not since you benefited from the anarchy-free civics changes throughout the game.

Any wonders that you would have chased earlier? or not at all?

Any way to (ab)use the massive "free" espionage against vassals?

BTW, you started two games at the start. You could always start playing where you left off with the second one... ;)

9. WastinTime

I wouldn't have started it more than a couple turn sooner. It was already very soon after Mining Inc.
    I would complete all wars earlier so I don't have to build Triremes to protect my army. I believe workboats do the job protecting execs and workers.

I did that a little bit, but there's not much to gain. Maybe steal a couple coins. My passive EPs go to Mansa for the first 100-150 turns or more. He's not usually the AI that I use to make vassals, but I could make that change.
    I thought about that, but if I do this whole space race again, I'd probably want to get a really superior start. IIRC, That one was a little lacking, but I could look at it again. Maybe my criteria have changed.

I wasn't banking on getting a free one last game. I had the GP ready for a golden age, so I saved a couple turns by being able to bulb instead.
    Like you said, I can live without it. Or, I should say: 3 GP can be better spent.
    Next game, I might actually plan on getting one free one (there are 3 possible). For a BC landing, you just need to plan for some luck.
    Last game, I got the free spy after mining, so I'd only 'waste' 2 more GP making a 3 GP GAge. The new plan is to get Communism earlier, so I'll use the spy for GAge #2. GAge#3 will be Taj. I don't want to 'waste' 3 gp for a GAge after corporations.

10. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

1300BC!!!

You'll never beat that. :smug:

I successfully got my Great People at 80% or 85% odds on 3 occasions just to go faster.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  11. WastinTime

Wow! :eek:
    Congrats. As you know, my practice game (with Suleiman) managed 950 BC. Looks like you took it to the extreme!
    I doubt I will waste time trying to improve on your game. You're the king of Espionage Victory :king:

shakabrade and Noble Zarkon like this.
  12. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

jesusin is gnashing his teeth