LK155 - CCM, Maya

1535 (6): As planned, we found Lazapa on the Blue Circle site south of Tikal and culture-bomb it, so that the local saltpetre source comes immediately under its control. We've already begun our irrigation drive and the town will have water in a few turns.

We defenstrate a slaver outside Yaxchilán (15-3).

We move a large mobile stack within striking range of Eindhoven.

Worker Housing town clock --> fire lancer, Calakmul granary (lumberjacked) --> town centre.

1540 (7): We seize and raze Eindhoven, held by two late pikemen (supply your own joke), for the disproportionate loss of three knights (17-6). Between captures and the razing we acquire six workers.

We push south towards our next objective, the Dutch capital of Arnhem.

One of our spearmen covering workers is converted by a priest outside Lazapa (17-7).

Siege Workshop town clock --> university, Tikal town clock --> university, Uxmal JOLLY ROGER --> town clock, Bonampak town clock --> university, Lagartero granary --> marketplace.

1545 (8): We capture and raze Arnhem, defended by two late pikemen, a spearman, a longbowman, and a slaver (22-7). Between captures and the razing we claim five workers.

We finish off two longbowmen in the vicinity of Maastricht (24-7).

We smite the enemy priest near Lazapa (25-7).

Quiriguá town clock --> Great Guild. Tusker, Siege Workshop isn’t a prerequisite for GG.

1550 (9): We advance on Maastricht, but it'll be two turns before we can attack there.

We have level 1 war weariness, so Maastricht may be as far as we go in this campaign.

The Americans have gone from broke to fairly rich, and we're able to sell them Sacred Art for 80 gpt and 100 gold.

The Japanese demand Naval Guns. Getting war happiness from an enemy nowhere near us would be good, so we refuse, but they back down.

Chichén Itza town clock --> fire lancer, Yaxchilán town clock --> university.

1555 (10): We move strong forces adjacent to Maastricht, and into range of Holwerd.

Uxmal town clock --> coastal fortress.

1560 (11): We take and raze Maastricht, held by two late pikemen (27-7). Between captures and the razing we claim seven workers.

We storm and raze Holwerd, garrisoned by a late pikeman and a spearman (29-7). We acquire three workers, one a capture.

We captured twenty-seven workers this turn.

Four slaver victories this round produced no slaves.

Nine priest victories this round yielded no monks.

Fifteen elite victories this round generated no Great Leaders.

That all the victories above should have yielded nothing was less than a 1/500 chance.

The Future

We should be able to attack Rotterdam from the south in about three turns, using the roading team we have in place to get our units across the marsh. We’ll need to be careful, since the city has walls, though they’re obscured by the mediaeval-capital graphic. After that we can either double back with our fast units and take Middelburg (the city presently under fog) to eliminate the Dutch, or just make peace, since leaving Middelburg in existence to clog the chokepoint might be helpful. (I don’t think we can waste one of our own settlers just for this purpose.) In either case we should block the chokepoint with units.

We’re in level-one war weariness, which is why we’re at 7-0-3. I believe we’ve got some leeway before we hit level two.

The Dutch have a fair-sized shore-bombardment fleet, so we should keep our units off the coasts as much as possible until the war is over.

Once it’s safe, we can found a colony on the gems SE of Rotterdam.

We disbanded eight obsolete units this round, but we still have some work to do in that area.

Yaxchilán and Calakmul should be kept at +10 food, and Lazapa at +7, for the fastest growth possible.

I don’t think any other wars will be advisable after we make peace with (or eliminate) the Dutch. It’ll just be a question of brokering our way up the tech tree towards buildable settlers. We’re also building universities for situations in which self-research would help.

We can see Medicine, which no known civ has, so we’re not badly behind in tech.

We could sell University or Naval Guns to Japan for 27 gpt and 40 gold, but I’d wait four turns until we can renew our supply of spices as part of the deal.

The timing is really bad for me. I can't start playing until Monday. If Greebley can take it before then, please swap.

ROSTER:

LKendter (up)
Greebley (on deck)
Jersey Joe
Elephantium
Northern Pike

Nicely done, NP! Very good round of trading. :thumbsup:
Provided that the Dutch do not have a Settler on a ship, we should wipe them out. If for no other reason than NP should get to wage war on someone different. :lol:

We should consider at least a limited war with the USA to take St. Louis and the Horses.

Huh, I wonder what I was thinking of. There's definitely a small wonder in the game that has an obsolete SW as a prerequisite.

Preturn: I make no changes

IBT: Landing of a Longbow near Lazapa

1565 AD: Make an error here: Start roading swamp and then realize some workers are already busy and we cannot complete it. I have to use our Priests to cover the stack. Move Knight and ACav next to the nearby city. I would rather they die if the AI could attack the Priests.

IBT: City does have a Longbow and Invisible unit so both units are attacked and both lose.

1570 AD: We now have the road on the Swamp so our forces can move onto the square.
I trade University for smaller amounts of gold to bring us up to 83 gpt.

IBT: Carthage completes Taj Mahal

1575 AD: We have enough Knights so we attack Rotterdam. It had 2 Pike and a Missionary which we kill with only 1 retreat. We do not gain a Monk or Slave from a Priest and Slaver attack.

Since there was at least one vote for removing the Dutch, I do not yet declare peace.

IBT: The longbow from two turns ago attacks a Knight - we win.

Potala Palace complete by Japan and Carthage gets Neushwanstein.

We lose Spices and ??gems?? - might have been dyes; also elephants due to expired deals.

Calkamul riots

1580 AD: Waiting for Spices worked really well. For Naval Guns and 115 gold we get Spices and Printing Press. I don't think they had Printing Press last round so they must have just got it. We build the gem Colony to now gain gems

We kill a Spear and Capture a Dutch Settler. Likely they won't have one now.

Our units are moving toward the final city.

We gained back a lot of gold and techs are scattered so we should be able to do some deals.

At 0% lux we can get 580 gpt and 1664 but that is still not enough to afford Medicine from Carthage.

Get Jurisprudence for 363 gpt - Mongol

get Physics for 83 gpt and Jurisprudence from Inca. We can 2 for one tech but no additional from 2 civs so instead we sell Pysics to Carthage for 4360.

I turn around and try a safe steal from Carthage which succeeds. We can take Economics instead of Medicine so I do so.

Get Free Artisry and 39 gold from Poland for Physics and JusisPrudence.

Free Artisry from the Incan can only get 71 gpt back so we are short 12 for some reason.
China will give us 43 gpt for Free Artisry Japan 11 gpt plus 110 gold

This would put us at 2441 gold and +17 gpt at 30% lux, however since the steal succeeded we can continue...

We get 8830 gold from Turkey for Economics.

I try another safe steal. This time we are at war with Carthage. Note that they are on another island so I think this should be fine. The war happiness doesn't quite allow us to go to 20% lux; but we can build more happy buildings to try to get there.

We get 40 gpt and 2065 gold from the Mongols for Economics.

Final result:

A war, 9016 gold but -11 gpt?? ?We must have been getting gold from Carthage to be at -11 gpt?

For the Dutch War, there is a Carthage city near us which I would also like to take out. Not sure if I should make peace. I think for now I may try for both.

IBT: Lost silk deal

1585 AD: Trade with French for silks and some gold. Also USA. We are still at -5 gold however.

Enter Dutch Lands. Start gathering forces for Carthage town.

IBT: Mongols and Japan are no longer fighting. Some Wonders completed.

1590 AD: Capture the last Dutch town guarded by only Spears with no loss.

Steal Incan Map. I want to know if we have a chance for Mezo Christianity. However we cannot investigate the city I wanted to - they are a Theocracy.

IBT: We got the Exchange small wonder for bonus +50 gold.

1595 AD: Move next to Carthage City with a Unit stack. They have Arquebusier as defenders

Block off the way south.

IBT: Scandanavia makes peace with Canada and ?China?

I give India Gunpowder. I don't want a second war right now.

1600 AD: Raze Hadrumetum - the Carthage City. Gains us 2.3 gold.

I don't really think we will get Meso Christianity, but I am still trying for it. We cannot investigate the city to find out. We have 6 turns but they started before us.

With no enemy to fight I disband some outmoded units.

Medicine is now known by two other Civs. We get 54 gpt from Inca for Economics.

IBT: Newton and Copernicus are complete. We get a message about Incans switching to
Mezoamerican Christianity so one of their builds switched. Probably makes it even less likely but still going for it. The AI can mess up badly with its builds sometimes... If they finish the next IBT we lose only one turn building a University.

1605 AD: We can buy Medicine outright and the only other tech is Ballistics. Decide to turn on
Research for this on Ballistics. We now have 3 buildings that build science so I think science is ahead of gold once we get

We got our next Settler and I upgraded it.

Bumped into an Invisible unit near Yax.

1610 AD: Starting roads into areas we don't own. This would be for eventual settling in the future.

1615 AD: Fortify Priests in a Town. We have both Monks and Priests if you look for them

Notes:
We are running out of Worker Actions needed completion - I have been balancing cities for max production in ones at full size. We can actually disband our own Workers and just use foreign ones. We can rebuild when we need them (before rails) and save gpt for now. For the Foreign Workers, if we run out of things to do, we should still road squares and clear jungle and swamp, etc outside of city radii. I think this eventual work is better than just fortifying them.

For tech, I would buy Ballistics as soon at a Civ has it and sell/trade for medicine. Our research should make it affordable even as a monopoly. If we can then start full research on a tech past that we might even be able to get it first. We are republic so this could be doable and if we can get ahead, we can eventually sell tech and keep the AI broke and behind us.

With no war, the units are scattered around. We may want to balance towns so they all have an extra unit to use.

I was sending the new settler down toward the old Dutch land. There is a grassland Wheat, and Fish or Whale spot that is already built up. I put a yellow circle on the map, but feel there are several places possible in that area.

Attachments

• LK155-1615BC.SAV
    1.4 MB · Views: 174
Forgot to mention we have 3 turns on Meso-christianity. No idea if we will get it. Only one civ was building it, but as mentioned we have no idea how close they are.

Also I was moving the boats to the east/west most points to try to meet another continent before we sink. We may even want more boats for this...

I will start working on this tomorrow or Monday.

ROSTER:

LKendter (up)
Greebley (swapped) (not available Nov 19 to Nov 27)
Jersey Joe (on deck)
Elephantium
Northern Pike

Top Bottom