LK160, CCM, AW, Turkey

Preturn: Seems like some units can move but since I am not sure of the position yet I move some to possibly attack Meroe and end turn with most units unmoved.

IBT: ...and in an annoying attempt to prove the statement above, the units near Meroe are mostly slaughtered. The move was an error on my part; I forgot about some Bombards after moving a Slaver back. Note that I moved those units in particular because they were in was a rioting city that might flip (small chance) which could have also cost us the stack. We lost the Defender and about 6 Sapahi but also killed some attackers as we were on a mountain.

Because we didn't use the leader last round (I completed the Aquaduct it was set on - it had full shields), I discover we can build machine gunners which is a much better choice to rush. We got them with imperialism.

1823 AD: Rush machine gunners (200 shields) which can only be built in Hello Poland as it requres the Military Academy.

Plant spy attempts in all civs because it give us options. We succeed in about half.
Eliminating the big stack of Bombards that attacked near Meroe seems as good a use as any - they would other retreat to be a threat again. I use the settler to build Riza to get access to the stack and Meroe, giving us more Nubian kills than we have suffered. We gain a great Artist but also lose a Lawyer vs a 1 hp Bombard (no defensive fire either) in poor RNG. Also capture Meroe.
Do the lined up attack on Poland to capture Aniba. The new Polish Capitol is the next city beyond that - its location is given when our spy attempt succeeded.
We gained a Leader in clearing units and use it on Riza since that won't flip to get a Factory.
Another defense 5 Persian on flat retreats 2 Sapahi and kills a 3rd before dying to a forth.
An attack on Herakliea, a vulnerable Russian city puts at war with Korea due to an MPP. Korea appears to be on the continent with Egypt and Britian (when I plant a spy, the city becomes visible and I can tell which it is using shift-L find city - the Korean attempt after war declaration succeeded). We capture the city with one loss.

Spot an Aztec city on our home continent. It already has a border expansion. Not sure if we were waiting for that, but we can now attack. Send some of the home guard to take it next turn.
Settler sent to boat to other continent. Combat settler seems more useful than a late start city.

IBT: Missed moving more defence in Aniba. A lawyer takes it out gaining an Artist. I wonder if we can capture it. It moved into Aniba.
My move on the Aztec city caused the Canadians to declare MPP war.
Large initial rushes coming in near Zielona Gora and Herakliea, our east-most border.
Appropriately the largest is the Mongols. Nubia also has a stack.

1824 AD: Recapture Aniba. We do not get to keep the Great Artist.
Attack Buhen, the Polish capital and get some good news:

LK160_AD1824.png

We attack mongol stack. Gain an Artist, 2 Leader(Hello Poland, Riza), Worker. Lose 2 Sapahi and a Rifle.
Tultitlan on our home continent is captured from the Aztec. 2 Blimps are destroyed.
Upgrading home units and replacing defenders with two conscripts. We have enough room on the boats to get a lot more troops over to the new island, so I am sending most of them.

1825 AD: Fewer units to kill this time so we have the resources to attack and capture Dongola owned by the Nubians. Doing so give 5 leaders 2 great artists (2 lawyers give leader and Artist on same turn) for Hello Poland, Riza, Factory in Warsaw, and Colloseum in Dongola for faster border expansion (Dongola still has resistance and will get 2 culture from Coll)
Still have extra units and realize I can reach Sidon owned by Persia. It has Pike and falls without loss.

1826 AD: Not so many units to kill but get a leader and Artist. Advance on Nubian capitol.

1827 AD: We gain Sci Method and pick up Nationalism and Communism.
Attack capitol of Napata and find Semina behind it. Both are captured. Upgraded a lot of our riflemen to the new stronger ones (WWI with Nationalism). Advanced on all fronts. I have brought most troops to the new island now and killed the initial rush so I think the next player should advance much more quickly.

Notes:
We can build blimps and have one town doing so. One thing we can do with them is to attack boats bombarding cities. Do a point of damage with a boat or blimp and they go back home to heal. I have also been building more boats for this reason as well, but blimps can move right away to the front.

We need to decide when to switch to communism. Since this is Monarchy we may be able to get Antartic with +1 happy in cities in 4 turns and then switch. Also I picked Improved Steam (I think) to get the Railroad improvement. I think we should also get transcontinental Railroad wonder.

Speaking of transcontinental, it just occurred to me we may be able to get that quickly as well if we prebuild. We have a high shield town (over 100) not being used. I think we should set that to prebuild (captiol?) before enter.

LK160_AD1827front.png

Attachments

• LK160-1827 AD.SAV
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
I am glad to see another civ dead.

I would like to hear from JJ on the wonder situation. He seems to have the best handle on it.

With the crazy number of civs on this land mass, I am hoping taking it all will be enough to win. We already have 28.6% of tiles to win. We haven't even gotten to atomic theory. Our homeland has plenty of gaps to fill in the marginal tundra area. The first conquered island has to have some gaps to fill. Our one city island should be setting up for more cities. I was already building rails beyond our first city planning on expansion there.

ROSTER:
LKendter
Jersey Joe
Greebley
Elephantium (up)
TheRat (on deck)

Tech ended a bit differently than expe16cted (see image). The indicated tree doesn't match what we can do. (I chose the tech for another shield bonus building, but we can choose another when next player starts). Interesting development. Only reason I suggested Corporation was to get to Communism. Glad you found out we did not need Corporation as a prerequisite to Communism. :goodjob:

xray is 2, antartic is 4 we could become communists:
1) now
2) 2 turns
3) 4 turns

I think I would vote 3) (so 4 turns) though at least one civ switched to antartic so we may not get it and could revolt earlier. The 1 happy for every city seems good.
I second the vote to take choice 3 and try to get antartic for the happy face.
I am glad to see another civ dead.

I would like to hear from JJ on the wonder situation. He seems to have the best handle on it.
I will work something out on the Transcontinental Railroad wonder. It requires 2 Railyards be built before the Wonder. Also, if we wait for this wonder before switching to Communism it ties in well with taking choice 3 above since we need 4 turns to learn Improved Steam Engines. I think we could build the Wonder on the turn after we learn Improved Steam Engines.

Currently no Civ is building the Transcontinental Railroad. Given that it requires 2 Railyards before work can begin on the Wonder I think we have a good chance of getting it with my outline below. Also, the fastest we can build a 500 shield wonder is 5 turns (we do not have a city that can produce 125 shields). So I choose the uncomplicated method outline below. :crazyeye:

Transcontinental Railroad Prebuild

Before hitting Enter for the next turn:

(1) 1827AD: Change Washington DC build to Telegraph/Telephone due in 5 turns
(2) 1827AD: Change New York City build to Telegraph/Telephone due in 5 turns (This will require firing 5 scientists and hiring 5 cops).
(3) 1827AD: While not necessary: I would change Osaka build to Telegraph/Telephone due in 1 turn. Also, I would build Rails in all of Osaka's Fat Cross for quicker growth.

(4) 1828AD: Osaka completes Telegraph/Telephone (or other build) and starts Battlefield Medicine due in 5 turns.

(5) 1831AD: Lean Improved Steam Engines. Begin researching The Corporation at 70% research (see below).
(6) 1831AD: Switch Washington DC and New York City to Railyards.
(7) 1832AD: Washington DC and New York City complete Railyards.
(8) 1832AD: Osaka switches to Transcontinental Railroad.
(9) 1833AD: Osaka completes Transcontinental Railroad.
(10) 1833AD: Begin the revolution to switch to Communism.

Reason for starting to research The Corporation at 70%
The Corporation is the least costly tech remaining.
I am not sure if research turns while in revolt count towards the minimum 4 turns necessary to learn a tech. If they do count we should be able to learn this tech with 2 or 3 turns of research and 2 turns of revolt.

I do not remember when the Program recognizes that the Railyard requirements are met. Washington and New York come before Osaka in the build queue. Therefore, it might be possible that when New York builds the second Railyard meeting that requirement to "arrow" ahead to Osaka and change the Transcontinental Railroad then.

I am not sure if research turns while in revolt count towards the minimum 4 turns necessary to learn a tech. If they do count we should be able to learn this tech with 2 or 3 turns of research and 2 turns of revolt.

That´s an interesting question - and I don´t know the answer yet. :crazyeye: Please post the answer, that your succession game will give to that question.

I think anarchy allows research (and you can get research from scientists during it). Its a govt just like everything else; you can still build things by chopping trees for example

I also think you should be able to switch Osaka once you have both RR and if it is after in the queue then it will complete.

AFAIK, in the epic game, the Catastrophic corruption of Anarchy means that no shields or commerce (and hence SCI%-beakers, or TAX%-gold, or LUX%-Happyfaces) are collected, so you lose production/ research/ income/ happiness — but units and buildings also do not require mantenance, so your only expenses are any ongoing GPT-payments to the AI (not an issue in an AW-game, though!). However, Geek-beakers are still collected, and do count towards your current research-project.

But even assuming that Civinator did not change any of the Anarchy-settings in CCM(?), whether or not Geek-beakers would be sufficient to stand in for a whole 1.5 to 2 turns' worth of (lost) SCI%-beakers, would depend on how many Geeks you can assign at this stage.

Thanks to all of you for the replies to the research timing question.

The question is really related to the minimum time to research. I think we could research The Corporation in 3 turns except the minimum time to research is 4 turns. So if time spent in anarchy counts we might learn it in 5 turns, 3 turns of research plus 2 turns of anarchy. If we research any other tech it will most likely take 6 turns to learn, 4 turns of research and 2 turns of anarchy.

I think if we research at 70% and hire all the Scientists we can, we might learn The Corporation in 5 turns total (with a very outside chance at 4 turns).

I did not test the timing to see what the results would be. It just looks like a chance to use a turn of anarchy to our advantage in learning techs.

Note that I was running some large polish towns on all scientists. Any town that would require mostly entertainers to break even. These towns do suffer corruption and are missing most happiness and anti-corruption buildings so their best use is maximum scientists at balanced food. If we continue this with the size ~20 towns it gives 80 science per town per turn even in Anarchy. Town loses a pop each turn and we stop when we can run without entertainers.
In any case this is one way to boost science to meet a 5 or 4 turn science during Anarchy.

Pre-turn: Make JJ's changes (except for Rails at Osaka; that has to wait until Worker moves are available! :lol:)

It turns out that we DO have a city that can make 125 spt: Pig and Cow! It only works if we hire some cops in starvation mode, though, so I'll stick to the plan.

Napata riots. Hire more geeks.

Someone lands a Lawyer near Wroclaw.
We lose a Transport to enemy action E of our main continent.
We also lose a Sipahi near the frontier.

1828AD -

Two Enslavers kill the Lawyer near Wroclaw. The winner generates a Leader!
Armored Cruiser kills the Aztec Light Cruiser that sank our Transport. Strange, there's no sound in the battle...

Sardis falls with no loses.
Teheran falls with the loss of 1 Sipahi

1829AD -

Aztecs, Russia, Egypt have Imp Steam Engines already :(

We met India on the open seas. I dial them up and declare.

Kerma falls with 1 loss.
Pasargadae falls with no losses.

IBT - white screen after the first bombardment. I hate my potato excuse for a laptop!

1830AD -

The Leader rushes Capitol in Salvador.
Kazan' falls with no losses. We only needed 3 attackers! :lol:
Ballana falls almost by accident; its only defenders were Pikes!
Wawat falls with no losses, generating another Leader!

We also kill multiple stacks of chaff (Firelancers and XBows, mostly) near Kerma and Kazan'

IBT - lose a couple of units near Uffa to the Brits, then the screen blanks again :(
Screen comes back to show some shore bombardments. We also take a couple of Sipahi losses near Wawat.
ISE > Corps

Aztecs complete Blue Riband
Production in Osaka sabotaged!
Production in Perth sabotaged!

1831AD -

Toshka falls with no losses.
Irtjet falls with no losses. Nubia is no more!

IBT - Mostly just a lot of bombardments. We do lose 1 Sipahi in Russian lands.

1832AD -

Osaka switches to Transcontinental RR (due in 3 due to sabotage)
Battle of Persepolis:
12 eSipahis attack...two die...city holds.

OK, it's time for drastic measures. Culture-bomb Pasargadae to allow reinforcements to flow.
We lose two more Sipahis, but we gain a Leader in taking the city (and Islamic Art, to boot!). Selim rushes the most expensive corruption reducer in Lvov.
Mycenae falls at the cost of one Sipahi.

IBT -

Persepolis riots as the resistance ends.

1833AD -

Antioch falls with the loss of one Sipahi.
Thermopylae falls with no losses.
We move troops to take 6-7 cities next turn.

IBT - lots of bombardments, not a lot of direct action.

1834AD - Aztecs, Russia, Egypt have Motorization.
It will cost over 5k for an Immediate steal.

Pharsalos falls with no casualties, and it nets us a Leader! I rush a Factory.
Haarlem falls with no casualties.
Tlapanaloya falls with no casualties (gain 425 gold).
Athens falls with one casualty.
Artemisium is destroyed with no losses
We net another Leader clearing some chaff in that general area.
Arbela falls at the cost of one Sipahi.
Gordium falls with no losses. Persia is kicked off this continent, but it looks like they still have a city (whew!)
We net another Leader clearing the way to Rhodes...
Rhodes falls with two losses and gets us TWO more Leaders!

Leader count: 9 (5 this turn :eek:).

IBT -

Lots of bombardments. I see that we lose a Sipahi in the field and possibly a Pre-Dreadnought near Old USA.
Corporation > Improved Ammo

1835AD -

We culture-bomb Rhodes and capture Ephesus, costing 2 Sipahis
Start the revolt!

IBT - more bombardments. We lose a couple of units at the frontier, but it's no big deal.

1836AD - No one is in position for big hits, so we just clean up a few stray units.

IBT - the usual bombardments and harassments.
Anarchy > Communism

1837AD -

Science slider to 70%; Imp Ammo due in 2.
Battle of Asturias (settled near Anyang on the second continent): We lose 2 Sipahis but gain 2 Zeppelins.
Battle of Ghent: 3 Sipahis ride down 1 Pike and 2 Spears! City is ours.

BTW @Civinator: Sipahis and Turkish Infantry WW1 both have a very slow fortify animation.
Sipahi also has a very slow death animation.

Attachments

• LK160-1837 AD.SAV
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
The dead civ parade continues.

I notice the monster land mass keeps growing. I wonder how much is left for us to get.

ROSTER:
LKendter (on deck)
Jersey Joe
Greebley
Elephantium
TheRat (up)

@Civinator: Sipahis and Turkish Infantry WW1 both have a very slow fortify animation. Sipahi also has a very slow death animation.

Let´s hope Takeo is reading this, too and posts some optimized animations for both units in the CCM2 thread, so they can be included in the next version of CCM2.

Elephantium, is this mini-worldmap scaled in sectors, that can be seen in your screenshot a part of your C3C interface, or did you this grid only in the screenshot graphics ? If it is a part of the interface, could you please post it here or give a link for the download of it ? It looks interesting :thumbsup: and I want to test it for the next version of CCM2 if it is a modded part of the C3C interface.

Thanks @tjs282 - that's exactly where I got it :thumbsup:

It goes under the main Civ 3 installation directory: civ/Art/interface, not under the Conquests subdirectory. That might make it awkward to include as part of CCM, but I didn't check to see if moving it to Conquests made a difference.

Edit: Also, a note about the handoff -- I left one unit un-fortified near Hello Poland, the staging area for our troops on the monster continent. Quite a few troops are cooling their heels there, waiting for the rails to get them past Bruges and into battle.

Last edited:
tjs282 and Elephantium, thank you both very much. :) It´s nice, that in Civ 3 I can always discover something new, even if it is old. :D

Edited: The new minimap seems to work very well with the next version of CCM2 and all other C3C scenarios I have tested. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Very nice turn set Elephantium. :goodjob: Osaka seems to be a target for sabotage, it was sabotaged twice during my turn set. :sad:

I see the Azetec's have settled another town on our land mass. Do we wait for it to grow to size 2 before capturing it?

Let´s hope Takeo is reading this, too and posts some optimized animations for both units in the CCM2 thread, so they can be included in the next version of CCM2.

Both of those units should have been fixed and uploaded to Civforum.de, but those threads have since been shut down and I can't look there and verify. But I'm absolutely positive I went thru all of Imperator's units except for MG's and Flamers.

Top Bottom