Lords of the Rising Sun (Pre-NES)

I've been busy lately, but I'll hopefully be able to write a story or two soon.

On another note, I recently watched Kagemusha. During later years, how friendly towards Christians was Oda Nobunaga? The movie seemed to make him out as a supporter of Christianity in Japan, but he never converted, did he?

I've been busy lately, but I'll hopefully be able to write a story or two soon.

On another note, I recently watched Kagemusha. During later years, how friendly towards Christians was Oda Nobunaga? The movie seemed to make him out as a supporter of Christianity in Japan, but he never converted, did he?

He became a patron for a few reasons: influence, guns, and luxuries for his retainers. He never converted, but he allowed Jesuits to construct a church in Kansai. In true Nobunaga fashion, he was an appeaser as long as the faction being appeased had something to offer him. He certainly was not as anti-Jesuit as some of the other families in Kyushu would become (and the Jesuits there were more active in their destruction of sacred sites).

This is all 15-20 years from our current game time. It wouldn't realistically make much sense for Nobunaga to be buddy-buddy with Jesuits yet (in your situation) - especially with the Ikko-Ikki being so prominent in our significantly altered timeline.

Another interesting note: I read an article regarding Nobunaga's homosexuality. Apparently, for a time, he carried around a European slave as a personal servant and loyal soldier. There is some speculation there. Yet there are plenty of articles refuting this and I personally believe he was more fascinated with the slave rather than romantically drawn to him. Nonetheless, Edo and pre-Edo (~20-50 years before Edo) saw an embracing of homosexuality. So you never know.

Nobunaga, even in 1560, was fascinated with many aspects of the west. Candies, guns, fashion - and so on.

Kagemusha, by the way, is an excellent film. The Noh scene is amazing.

It's going well. I have a lot more time now that I officially turned in my thesis. And get this: I was just this morning awarded another summer study visit to Japan!

Anyway, I'll hopefully have it posted by next week. But of course I would personally feel a lot more enthusiastic about this NES if more story-telling was involved.

I am waiting for the update so I can integrate it with what is current.

Update 1562 Notes

- Many order sets not in (Espoir, germanicus12, andis-1, skeptikalz!, Azale, and Anonymoose).

- I'm a total jerk for taking forever to do this and for leaving NES for a while. But I had some things I needed to do, like prepare to go to Japan again this summer under another research scholarship. Think of it as field study for this NES. Also, these updates take a long time for me to write.

- That being said, I am disappointed that some players did not send their orders in.

- Additionally, I am disappointed at the severe lack of stories. Yes, I'm a total jerk. But, you can't really blame me for not updating when only T_F took some extra time to post anything outside of diplomacy. So many interesting events happening here! It is an absolute shame to not have stories to go with them.

- At the same time, why write a story for a mod who might bail any moment and not update for a while? All the more reason, if you ask me, but I know we don't live in a perfect world.

- Practical: Some of your koku stats might be off. Just let me know, and I'll double check. Most of you got your math right in orders. Some of you did not. Please remember to bold what is new in your stats when you send orders!

- I have changed Confidence in Factions, switching them to a more readable format. Now, higher confidence is GOOD, lower confidence is BAD (so, it is therefore more intuitive).

- History has been dramatically altered at this point. To me, it is very interesting to write this stuff.

- Remember, if something in your orders was not talked about, it is for a reason. It either didn't work and you had no consequences, or it takes time to implement.

- Please keep orders to ONE PM from now on. And please do not describe specific, detailed military maneuvers to me, because there is too much that can go wrong, so many factors at play, and it hurts you more than helps (some detail is nice obviously, but writing two PMs worth of specifics is too much. What if the other player doesn't do step one needed for your twenty-step plan? Then your orders were a waste.

- Also, assuming an army will travel right into your trap is kind of frustrating to me. Without proper bait and adequate logic, life doesn't often provide traps -- especially when the opponent is another human being.

WTF kkmo? You killed Sekai without warning and return now?

1. What does this have to do with this NES?

2. When did I kill Sekai? I never killed it. How many NESes around here go without updates for many months? Especially NESes that require a lot from the moderator? I admit I was a jerk to leave without warning, but I certainly never said anything was dead. Give me a break -- if you'd be so kind.

I will not be so kind. We continued pressing on thinking you were coming back after the holidays but you didn't. We couldn't continue. What's done is done. I've reused my characters in a international selling novella anyhow. But the point remains that you hurt us by dropping off the face of the earth with such a great NES.

What's done is done, maybe for you. Not for me, and perhaps not for your fellow players.

I had a significant personal reason as to why I dropped off the face of the earth. But I shouldn't have to give excuses.

I don't understand your hostilities. They are unwarranted. If you had just told us why you left at the time we would have waited.

I'm not being hostile to you, Luckymoose.

There wasn't a day that went by that I wanted to come onto the boards to tell you all what was going on with me. And sometimes I came to the forums and signed on, and read PMs, or came on, and didn't sign in at all, but then had to leave. As I said, I know I'm a big jerk by not saying something, but I only ask in some degree of trust that I had a damn good reason for taking off.

By the way, is this your novella? :p

So you are saying that because you have an ebook up for download, I can't continue my NES (which isn't even this NES, which for some reason we are discussing here)? I don't really see the logic.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that we put in effort, you vanished, so we moved on. The players were upset. And honestly this isn't the first time you've done it and it might be difficult to convince players to return. I enjoyed it enough to not put the characters down, which should tell you a good deal about how much your players liked the NES. You're still being hostile. You can try to restart it, but the momentum that you had is just gone.

I'm not in LOTRS, but I was in Sekai, and I would have appreciated at least a single post or bit of activity to say you'd be gone, or what we should expect.

Not being hostile, Luckymoose. I assure you, I most-likely put in ten times the amount of hours you put in on that NES. If anyone was upset, it was me. Momentum never dies -- it just fades.

I'm not in LOTRS, but I was in Sekai, and I would have appreciated at least a single post or bit of activity to say you'd be gone, or what we should expect.

Do you think you would've accepted a post saying, "I need to do some important things for 4 months"? It was sudden. I am perfectly aware that everyone would've appreciated common courtesy, just as anyone does. And just as I would.

I would have accepted it... and I would have preferred some sort of statement to complete silence. That's all. :)

Top Bottom