LuckNES VI: Best Served Cold

An area in the port of Alavont would be acceptable, our people desire some privacy and protection outside of our homes. We might also establish a trading post on near your border with Zanibre if that is acceptable?

Our country will provide you merchants with their own quater. We will ensure their privacy and safety so long as they stay in the City of Atovona. That land will still remain under our direct control for secruity reasons.

We do not mind a trade port there but we ask you also consult our neighbors so we do not cause uneeded conflict in the region.

In return for these we ask you do not colonize any more lands within the bay behind our island.

@TerrisH none of this is going to cost me any real IC since it is really only wacking up a few buildings and that can probably be offloaded to interested merchantile parties in exchange for the best land and moorings etc.

To: Alavont

It is agreeable the Acheame’e have no interest in the area behind your bay.

To: Zanibre

It is agreeable with your neighbour to set up a trading post on the border between your two nations do you object? If it is agreeable would it also be possible for Acheame’e trading posts to be set up in Zanibre proper?

@ All: I cannot stress it enough that you include stats in your orders as well as follow a simple form of organization. Also naming your orders PM something other than just plain old Orders, maybe include your nations name. Thanks.

Is there a format you want them done in? Just for all the newer people :) and myself as well :lol:

On the Early Growth of Carnatia

It was under the reign of Tovar the First that the nation of Carnatia was formed from the mercantile city-state of Zar Carnat...

Zar Carnat had always had a militant streak, particularly in dealing out punitive raids against rival cities and the bandits who infested the area. The city's forces, armed with spears and small, curved swords, were thus an experienced and deadly, if quite small, force. During Tovar the First's ascent to the throne, Zar Carnat was locked in a state of intense competition with its' close rival, the city-state of Uztok. Contested East-West trade routes and all of the benefits of their control were at stake.

The war started out like most others in the region, as a series of skirmishes and formal battles between the cities. However, Tovar did not have the same mindset of his predecessors, and most of his contemporaries. He saw that the cycle of unproductive warfare would ultimately undo all progress that could be made. The only way to bring peace, prosperity and stability to the region would be through military conquest. With this goal in mind, the Tovar began to raise and train an army larger than had ever before been seen in the region.

The small army of Uztok was caught completely off guard when it was attacked by a force of nearly 1000 from Zar Carnat. Crushing their enemy's force, Tovar then lead his forces on to conquer and sack Uztok. Within only a few years, the army of Zar Carnat solidified its control over a significant area, gaining access to the ocean and founding the first salt water port of the nation, naming it 'Zar Boda'. It was after this first great expansion that Tovar declared himself to be the first 'King of Carnatia'.

The later parts of Tovar's reign were spent in an inconclusive war with a league of city states based in the east around Kovuk and Lucuc. Tovar's successor, King Ligur, finally managed to negotiate a peace with the eastern coalition and launched a surprise attack westwards, conquering the important city of Kudur. Carnatia's attentions once again shifted eastwards. Kovuk, sensing a distinct change in the balance of power, ended its alliance with Lucuc and, in a royal marriage, united with Carnatia. Internal struggles and a decrease in trade due to the hostility of Lucuc halted King Ligur's expansions.

It would be his son who would once again take up the mantle of war. King Trog returned Lucuc's hostility with equal intensity, escalating the situation into a full-out war. Lucuc's attempts to bring Kovuk back into the fold failed, and a twenty-year war eventually saw the city and its armies crushed. Lucuc, the long-standing rival of Zar Carnat, was burned to the ground, and would not regain significant populations again for almost a century (and these new populations would sing a much different tune regarding the country of Carnatia).

By this point, all of the lands north of the Carnat were united under one ruler. Only in the northern forests did a small 'bandit kingdom' based around Sokuk survive. King Trog was unwavering in his opposition to this last symbol of rebellion, and in some of the last years of his reign he ordered a campaign against them. Though the bandits struggled, they were overpowered and crushed. However, common Carnatian folk tales tell of the 'woodsmen', who still hide out in the forests to this day.

King Trog has recently passed away, leaving his son to reign as King Tovar the Second. Where he will lead his nation in the future remains to be seen.

A Map Outlining the Stages of Carnatian Expansion

OOC: Confirming Pirol. To the Prosperity of all the Piroli people and to their glorious Emperor.

OOC: Something I thought up while walking around this morning.

Uyusyu the farmer sat on a smooth rock, unwrapping the lunch his second wife packed for him. His first promised to make him something when he got home from the fields. Today, it was the legs of quite a tasty wader bird.

Uyusyu looked about the field of Bofego, or Eye-Opener, the plant which gave mystics the ability to see the future. He picked a bit of his harvest out of the carrying basket and ate it with the wader. He always thought it made it taste nicer.

He looked seawards towards his village. Beyond it he could see the city of Iwa-Moh. To the right, some Oqinem (foreigners) were setting up outposts, for trade he had heard. Perhaps his Eye-Opener was to be eaten by people of another land? He dismissed this thought as he looked along the Right Bank road.

Uniformed soldiers came marching up the worn dirt path. They carried spears. They were led by a man in rich, foreign clothing. He knew who they were looking for. Enhib, the net-maker Uhrume's son.

It wasn't anyone's fault really. They say, sometimes, Iwa doesn't bless everyone's birth. The family had manged to hide him for a very long time, relying on the entire community. Uyusyu guessed it was that new priest at the small shrine that ratted them out. It was Wozosowo wasn't it? Poor Usufoguge. He shouldn't have gone swimming in those reeds at his age.

But perhaps it was for the best. The kid was going to a place where the people couldn't have children, and with his mentality, he was more or less a child.

As Uyusyu took another bite into the leg of the wader, the soldiers had reached the net-maker's door. The farmer guessed the mother, Umun, would be sobbing for her son. The official would be saying it's the law laid down by Upebdey. He would then say she didn't want to upset Iwa, did she? A soldier broke off from the rest, returning with the priest. After a muffled arguement, Umun reluctently let the soldiers in. They came out with a teenager, in the middle of a deep sleep. It must be his midday nap, Uyusyu thought.

The official put a reassuring hand on the woman's shoulder, and gave her a large sack. Clothes, the farmer thought. Clothes from far away, instaed of her son.

The group went back down the track they came from, the boy draped over a soldier. They'd go to Iwa-Moh, and then the boy would be sent to the Unbreeder's commune in Eymud. The family would be able to vist any time, it was just to keep him from passing on the evil within him.

Uyusyu finished his lunch, and got back to harvesting. He hoped he was going back to shrimp this afternoon.

OOC: It would be nice to have a template for orders.

Yeah, but I have my nation's name in the orderset, so you still know which is which.

Declamation on the Articles of Government

It is said that the Upper Council of the Acheame'e has always existed, most probably not, since in the Old Days before the Acheame'e unified, the peoples of the Acheame'e warred against each other. It is in the learned opinion of this scholar that the Upper Council evolved from the greatest land owners of the different peoples of the Acheame'e, weary of the costs of war and aware of the risks of barbarians and other terrors to small divided peoples. They united, the exact antecedent for the unification is unknown but we can be certain that it was over an important issue, perhaps a great barbarian raid or a famine this is only speculation.

The Upper Council has control over all issues of Acheame'e governance, but in a quirk of the system the Upper Council may not pass supply on its own. The Upper Council has not the power to pass taxes on the people of its own initiative that power resides only with the Lower Council. However the Lower Council requires assent from the Upper Council in order to enact a change in supply. The Upper House and the Lower house are thus interdependent for the governance of the nation without one the other cannot function.

This has acted in the past as a great defence against the abuses of power, alternatively it is has also acted as a great restriction on the ability of government to act as it should. But we should be confident in the model setup by our Ancestors. It has been argued that our Ancestors didn’t intend the system to end up like this; they envisioned a more effective government that is a vile lie propagated by the uneducated. Surely the Ancestors would not have created a bad system they were perfect that is well known. I will leave the budding students amongst us with this, the Ancestors were all wise and all powerful we must follow their examples exactly.

The Fate of Institutions prior to Shalak I:
Before Shalak I, the peninsula had gone through three stages of development. Each had their own unique institutions and ideas of government.

First was the Post-Tribal stage. Tribal cheiftans ruled by virtue of their ability to defend the tribe from attack and/or seize land- failure, if the tribe survived, meant disposition or death. The motives for this land seizure was population growth through agriculture. Diplomacy was invented, and byzantine alliance systems of constantly changing sets of allies ruled the land.

Second was the Semimonarchial stage. City walls became the best form of defence, but siege weapons did not follow. Cities were larger, and the byzantine alliance system continued but was no longer vital for costal cities. A polythiest consensus emerged amongst the peninsula. At this time, one could find a chieftancy, an absolute monarchy, a theocracy, and even a federal tribal union (banded together for self defence). But the dominant system was a controversial monarch who had to consider the opinions of the nobles, the people, and the priests and was in danger of being deposed.

The last stage was the Monarchial stage, but also had a movement towards organised local militias. The militia of each village would elect a local leader, leaving monarchy in a precarious posistion still.

Shalak I:
Shalak I, as king of Parlomi, made deals with other kings. With his support, they could become hereditary monarchs. Combined with the desperatness of the situation and a little political intriuge and bartering of concessions, Shalak I got a deal.

But after the barbarians were repulsed, Shalak I had problems. The local militias began a revolt, and soon 65% of Greater Parlomi was rebel and supported the rebels- they controlled the north and south, leaving Shalak I only the centre. Shalak I won in two seperate battles, but it showed his posistion was precarious.

There were two institutions he would have to deal with- the priests, and the militias. First, Shalak I bought off the priests with a right to hereditary holding of their posts. Second, he created a new institution- the City Guard, who he begrudingly gave the right to set a local tarrif as well as performing the role of city militia (which heretofor had not existed).

Finally, he abolished the militia, and faced a second war. Most of the populace was now rebel-supporting, though "only" 40% actively revolted. He won, but it was a close one and a city actually fell.

Shalak I waited until near the end of his life to complete his reforms- 30 years it had been. To rebuy the countryside, he lowered taxes. Then, he launched a suprise attack on the city guard with his own loyalists, and proclaimed it's abolition. This last revolt secured Shalak I a stable, if nowhere near absolute, monarchy.

I assume this turn's orders is for a BT?

No i was talking to Moose and it was for an IT (dont quote me on that but the word of the Moose should be enough... my orders are written for an IT if thats any consolation in the advent of change :()

OOC: Pirol's orders have been sent. IC: Death to those who oppose the Emperor:p.

With three minor changes to Justo words... i have crafted the perfect reason for war

World v. Pirol anyone?

:lol:

Orders Sent

OOC: Orders sent.

Top Bottom