[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

Does anyone think the Maori will get their own unit style ? I don’t think they showed off any units except settlers, their unique and builders in the FL.
I would hope so, it would certainly be really useful for modders.

I've stacked combat units over non combat units plenty of times.

Didn't someone prove (Victoria perhaps?) that your initial settler cannot be captured by barbarians? Though that may only apply to the human player, not the AI. We shall see. This only applies to yours starting settler of course.

I thought you could only stack combat over non-combat on land, and in the water stack either (but not both) under a naval unit. Would be happy to be wrong about this.

Same with your initial Settler. Never occurred to me to test to see if it's invulnerable to Barbarians. :think:

EDIT: If it is invulnerable, can it hang out near a Barbarian camp and clear the camp after a City State wipes out the Barbarian units? If so, could Hungary get a first city before founding one with it's initial Settler, and if so, will it still get a Palace?? Nevermind: confusing rumours with reality

Fairly certain they will announce it tomorrow. I guess the viewer interaction will be picking where to settle in the start.
That would be my guess as well. I am well and truly hyped for this!

Fairly certain they will announce it tomorrow. I guess the viewer interaction will be picking where to settle in the start.

They'll probably ask the chat to choose east or west, and then keep going in that direction until they find land.

We'd be natural enemies over rugby in real life, too, if the All Blacks would stop beating us all the time. :wallbash:

It's what we get for letting so many of our kids play the Canadian version of American football (which should perhaps be called McGill football instead of American football, considering the influence of Canada's McGill University on the evolution of rugby into the games now played by the U.S.'s NFL and Canada's CFL).

:lol::lol:

And there is no doubt that the Maori love of rugby is something that makes the All Blacks strong :)

Oh, and from the POV of who beats who in world rugby at the mo...thank goodness they added the Scots and not the Irish!!

I am going to go ahead and say that I will play this civ first. :eek:
If Eleanor lives up to my expectations I can't imagine that I would play anyone else first but Maori are likely to be my first new Civ. Unless they continue in this vein of revealing more and more impressive Civs!

I thought you could only stack combat over non-combat on land, and in the water stack either (but not both) under a naval unit. Would be happy to be wrong about this.

Pretty sure if they are linked on land they enter the water linked, and a navel unit can create a three way link with them. But I think others are right who have said that you can't link two land units once they're in the water...?

That's a pretty unique civ we have here.

I don't understand why maoris can't get writers.
Well, they have no written word, just what the Pakeha brings
Didn't someone prove (Victoria perhaps?) that your initial settler cannot be captured by barbarians?
Oh they can be captured indeedy, Chances of that happening with Maori are slim
Pretty sure if they are linked on land they enter the water linked, and a navel unit can create a three way link with them. But I think others are right who have said that you can't link two land units once they're in the water...?
A military land unit counts as a non combatant at sea... using that sorts out the rule. So cannot stack with a builder but can with a leader/missionary

My first Civ in R&F was Netherland, and probably in this expanssion it will also be some naval Civ because they improved trade over oceans. But still there is 6 more civs - wonder how would Ottomans and Canada look like because they are my favourites in this expanssions, altrought Hungary and Maouri are beyond what I expected. I just hope all other Civs will be on same level.

A military land unit counts as a non combatant at sea... using that sorts out the rule. So cannot stack with a builder but can with a leader/missionary

Must've been leaders I've seen linked in a triangle with a land unit and a naval unit - you can't link with religious units...

I'm so excited. These will be my first civ to play. I love chopping but happy to forgo that for these guys.

My guess is the design motivation was to create a unit that you would stick with through the gunpowder era, bypassing Musketmen. Similar to the Civ 5 Impi.

Fwiw, I don't think they said it replaces anything, so it presumably doesn't upgrade either.

Looking back at the video, while they show it fighting hoplites, and it kind of seems like a swordsman, it could well be a truly unique unit that unlocks in the later classical. This doesn't diminish the power it has though. A 45 strength unit in the classical, when some civs get unique 45 strength melee units in the medieval that they also can't upgrade into, is a bit bonkers. But hey, maybe it's like warrior monks and there is more to it than basic melee line unit.

Also: Pa can only be built on hills!
But- can the Toa chop?

Okay, wow, some thoughts:

At first, I thought this was way too much. Too many bonuses, not nearly enough drawbacks. HOWEVER...

The time spent in the ocean you're not producing anything in your city, so even though you get to scout the best place for you civ its also a race to do so before you start to lose the advantages you started with (free builder).

The lack of Great Writers and great works slot in the Marae could really bite you later in a culture victory, but they do make up for it by boosting tiles with features. With the Marae, you're unimproved features are ridiculously strong, but you will be on coasts most likely so you'll have limited placement options for districts, wonders and improvements. Lack of harvest options means you can't clear the resources and then reuse the tile for a district, you can either farm or place a district and lose the resource.

Toa seems alright. The Paa's aren't something you'll want to build on productive tiles anyway, so that's a limit right there. Haka is cool, but some UUs definitely stronger.

So overall, I think the Civ is good but not OP. However, what i'm worried about most is that by comparison some vanilla civs seem weak and, much worse, boring. Hopefully they'll address that in the Xpac as well.

Also: Pa can only be built on hills!
But- can the Toa chop?

That's good that they're limited to hills. Makes a bit more sense...
And I think there was the bulldoze button below the Pa button in the video?

Top Bottom