• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Made in the EU

Status
Not open for further replies.
That logo bothers me. How can I support the UK, but not the EU, when 'made in UK' has been replaced with 'made in EU' :hmm:

stormbind said:
That logo bothers me. How can I support the UK, but not the EU, when 'made in UK' has been replaced with 'made in EU' :hmm:

Well you could learn to accept that to really support the UK you should support the EU ;)

Hotpoint said:
Well you could learn to accept that to really support the UK you should support the EU ;)
If the long story of our island, and continuity of our institutions is to end, may it be with the same courage and defiance Britons have shown through generations past.

The Last Conformist said:
I just happened to look at a PCGamer DVD, and noticed it said "Made in the EU". I don't think I've seen that origin marking ever before. Is it new, or am I just unobservant?
I think you've just been unobservant. Doesn't seem like a new thing to me, though couldn't point to when I've first seen it.

stormbind said:
If the long story of our island, and continuity of our institutions is to end, may it be with the same courage and defiance Britons have shown through generations past.

If the long story of our island is to continue as more than a mere footnote in history it will be within the EU. I believe that Britain still has a postive role to play in determining the future but alone we just don't have the resources to guide history any longer. Better to pool sovereignty with equals than abandon it completely swamped by anothers interests as a lapdog of a disproportionately greater power.

Churchill himself suggested a Franco-British Union in 1940 when the two found themselves facing the might of Nazi Germany realising that it was better to give up some independence than all of it.

Some may find comfort in the notion that we could be Athens to America's Rome... personally I'd rather be Rome again myself :D

oagersnap said:
But remember that Rome doesn't exist anymore. :mischief:

No power remains dominant forever... they did have a good run though ;)

Hotpoint said:
If the long story of our island is to continue as more than a mere footnote in history it will be within the EU. I believe that Britain still has a postive role to play in determining the future but alone we just don't have the resources to guide history any longer. Better to pool sovereignty with equals than abandon it completely swamped by anothers interests as a lapdog of a disproportionately greater power.

Churchill himself suggested a Franco-British Union in 1940 when the two found themselves facing the might of Nazi Germany realising that it was better to give up some independence than all of it.

Some may find comfort in the notion that we could be Athens to America's Rome... personally I'd rather be Rome again myself :D
You sound corrupted by the false promise of power, and willing to exchange the freedom of higher law that has made our nation great, for some pompous self-righteous effort to count among the next Caesar's foolish soldiers.

I say you are deluded in believing that the disproportionately greater influence of Germany has any desire to benevolently support your private fantasy.

I never saw a single "made in the EU". If it is the new way I must say it sucks. When I buy olive oil I want to know if it's made in Portugal or Italy. When I buy some tools I want to know if they were made in Germany or Spain. And so on.

It is the current trend, luiz, but not all packaging displays it. There are most likely rules surrounding it, such a license fees, and it may be a requirement attached to EU grants :confused:

Mathilda said:
I think you've just been unobservant. Doesn't seem like a new thing to me, though couldn't point to when I've first seen it.
I agree with this. I've already seen that several times before. Actually it's written on most cigarette packs.

Luiz said:
I never saw a single "made in the EU". If it is the new way I must say it sucks. When I buy olive oil I want to know if it's made in Portugal or Italy. When I buy some tools I want to know if they were made in Germany or Spain. And so on.
Don't worry, it's still written "made in Germany" on BMW's... ;)

I don't know how works the legislation on that kind of things. Maybe it depends according to the product... or maybe companies are free to decide whether they put the country name or the EU. But anyway, everything produced in Europe isn't labelled as "EU". And that's even more true when it comes to olive oil or food in general.

Actually, it's often written both... something like "made in Belgium (EU)".

stormbind said:
How would it be the end of anything ? British people would still remain,. Things are only continuing, nothing is ending. :)

Anyway Hotpoint explained it better than me.

Marla_Singer said:
I don't know how works the legislation on that kind of things. Maybe it depends according to the product... or maybe companies are free to decide whether they put the country name or the EU. But anyway, everything produced in Europe isn't labelled as "EU". And that's even more true when it comes to olive oil or food in general.

Actually, it's often written both... something like "made in Belgium (EU)".
We make stuff ? :eek:

Anyway, I recall labeling something as "from the EU" and others a "from this or that country" has to do with the kind of product. To protect the national market, region-specific goods will stay labelled as "made in country X" such as there are wine, olive oil, fruits and vegetables, machinery, spices, ...
More general goods which are basically the same all over the continent such as cigarettes, soda pops and so on are labelled "made in the EU" because there is no regional distinction between the products.

stormbind said:
You sound corrupted by the false promise of power, and willing to exchange the freedom of higher law that has made our nation great, for some pompous self-righteous effort to count among the next Caesar's foolish soldiers.

On the contrary without the power to defend our freedom it will crumble since alone we simply do not have the resources required to maintain those liberties against the will of other nations. I'm not being corrupted or pompous I'm being realistic, although I may veil my beliefs behind a tongue-in-cheek vision of a mighty European Empire and Pax Europae the fact is that small nations get stepped on and you're better off being the one that does the stepping.

stormbind said:
I say you are deluded in believing that the disproportionately greater influence of Germany has any desire to benevolently support your private fantasy.

Given that the population of Germany is going to fall whilst that of the UK is expected to keep rising until at least 2040 any concern over the long-term domination of the Deutsche over ourselves is somewhat paranoid. If they don't sort out their economy and start breeding at a decent rate again soon we'll be dominating them.

In any case as regards Germany we'll be needing those Panzer Crews for when we march the Imperial Eagles into the Middle-East in about twenty years or so :p :D

Hotpoint said:
Given that the population of Germany is going to fall whilst that of the UK is expected to keep rising until at least 2040 any concern over the long-term domination of the Deutsche over ourselves is somewhat paranoid. If they don't sort out their economy and start breeding at a decent rate again soon we'll be dominating them.
This is true. I remember I've read a study saying that French population should take over the German one at the horizon 2050. They were saying that then the French population is expected to reach 75 million people. And actually, there are more little French babies birthing every year than little German babies.

Actually I consider this as more worrying than everything, and this from an absolutely selfish point of view. Indeed, I wonder how we can sustain our consumption if we are less and less to purchase stuff. That means economical crisis... and that means I would be poorer. So it's clear countries such as Germany, Spain or Italy should really think strongly about solving their issue (and it wouldn't do harm to anyone if European countries having less problems in that field would still have more babies than currently).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom