[NFP] March Update Video Discussion

I'm used to seeing it in Age of Empires as well so perhaps that colours my view but the AOE2 version still seems more accurate.
Spoiler Aerial shot of Belem Tower :

Spoiler Belem Tower Civ 6 :

Lots of things look off to me, the size of the tower, the fancy pillared balcony became a pillbox for machine guns? obviously the wonders have to change to fit into Civ 6's style and graphical limitations but this is the first time personally a wonder has looked bad to me.
Yea, it looks terrible.

the fancy pillared balcony became a pillbox for machine guns.

This, mainly, is what you first notice as detracting from the quality of the model. If the balcony had been respected, even at the cost of losing or shrinking the upper windows, probably it would look more belem-ish, even if a shorter height is needed to make it not sight-blocking.

Damn you're right. I was moreso talking about the GP but diplo seems even less likely as it's locked behind so many walls of DLC that few players would know what it is.

Then, assuming that we're 100% sure about the CH, IZ, HS, and Harbor not having the UB, it would have to fall in the Campus or TS. My last idea would be that maybe it's a unique university to reference Henry the Navigator's famed school. Maybe when you build it you unlock cartography lol. But I'm really spitballing here and a Campus UB wouldn't have great synergy compared to a market or something. But watch-the university probably looks the same too and I just missed it in the trailer XD

If they really are going with 2 UI (Which I still think is weird) it's a must that they'll have a unique fishing boat improvement. I mean, who's gonna be getting all that bacala? :lol:
I think an early Stock Exchange sounds the most plausible at this point. Though I'm starting to think maybe it is just one UI built by the UU. I mean if it can be built in neutral territory and gain yields of surrounding tiles, send luxuries back to the capital, or act as a trading post, maybe they are powerful enough on it's own.

I miss my marsh polders more than ever, lol

We all miss those polders man...and sea beggars>de provicien. The prankd the English and Dutch UUs bad in VI lol

The only consistent thing was them giving the Netherlands terrible abilities in both games XD

I think an early Stock Exchange sounds the most plausible at this point. Though I'm starting to think maybe it is just one UI built by the UU. I mean if it can be built in neutral territory and gain yields of surrounding tiles, send luxuries back to the capital, or act as a trading post, maybe they are powerful enough on it's own.

I could see that. I still think a tier 3 building is the wrong time period for Joao/Golden Age of Portugal but...it could work. It'd also be a big middle finger to the Netherlands as they were the first with a VOC being one of the first/very notable stock exchanges.

I really don't see the presumed Feitoria being the only unique for Portugal though. Yeah it might be powerful but if only their caravels can make it...oi vey that'd suck. I could see the luxury thing/TR extension being the strongest possibilities...anything else would be really too tough to code in. Gaining yields...gain yields towards what? Your capital a'la a vampire castle? That's some really, really weird mechanics and I just don't see the dev team going that far. It'd be cool...just would really turn the game on it's head. And from the video, it seemed like Portugal didn't play excessively tall (They had cities all over the map) so a kinda tall playstyle reliant on these vampire castle/feitorias would be strange...Lisbon didn't seem as big as cities with SP cities do either. And with those yields and units out you'd expect a monstrous capital by that point if that's how they worked.

As far as going out with a bang, this one didn’t, unfortunately. The achievements "error" didn’t help.

Yet, really happy for Portugal. Let’s wait how it is, though.

Wonders, I love.

As for the rest...I will command myself to willingly blame it on 2020, COVID-19 and the general, psychological state-of-mind, and forgive them for it so I can quickly sidestep the mere thought of it for all eternity.

I could see that. I still think a tier 3 building is the wrong time period for Joao/Golden Age of Portugal but...it could work. It'd also be a big middle finger to the Netherlands as they were the first with a VOC being one of the first/very notable stock exchanges.
True that an earlier stock exchange would have made more sense with Netherlands, which is why I think it's not likely either. But it's the only other possible building I could think of.

Let's be optimistic - given the lackluster reception so far... Maybe this means a relatively larger amount of effort went into the april rebalance than the march DLC? I'd be more than happy with that tradeoff!

I also quite like the design of Etemenanki... More options for civs not to fall behind or ways to push further ahead in science early on are nice.

VOC was not a stock exchange. It was a trade monopoly. The first dutch stock exchange was actually a tulip bulbs market that fits a polder UI quite well ;)

I made this account specifically to talk about Portugal's trade routes.
  • Portugal has 14 trade route slots.
  • They also have around 8 to 9 cities.
  • There are 3 Great Merchants, 1 Great Admiral (2 in base game), and 1 Wonder before the Renaissance Era that gives a Trade Route slot.
I don't think Portugal or Joao have an ability that gives them extra Trade Route slots.
While that's possible, it assumes
  • They have 9 cities.
  • They managed to get a CH with a market or a Harbour and a lighthouse in every single one of those nine cities.
  • They built that Wonder.
  • They got those exact three GMs.
  • They got that exact GAd.
Granted they can be missing one of those there is that second GAd, but still...that's a pretty narrow path, they have to play it almost perfectly to get that. Not impssoble, but I think it's fair to assume that they got extra trade routes from somewhere else, probably their unique ability.

It does look as if Firaxis might be able to keep the exact nature of Portugal's abilities hidden from us! That's good. I'm hoping to be surprised by some interesting gameplay. That way I can think of this as the portugal and wonders pack and pretend wetland zombies didn't exist...

I’m glad they (presumably) fixed the main problem with feitorias from civ v. While I absolutely loved the idea of them in theory and building an overseas luxury trading empire, I almost never got the chance to use them because by the time I sent the worker to the relevant city state, the game was almost over because of slow embarked speed. Also good luck getting that worker all the way back, it was pretty much sacrificing a worker to get the improvement. Attaching feitoria builds to a super fast explorer ship is an excellent way to cut down on needless micro and keep them relevant in the time they become available

I’m glad they (presumably) fixed the main problem with feitorias from civ v. While I absolutely loved the idea of them in theory and building an overseas luxury trading empire, I almost never got the chance to use them because by the time I sent the worker to the relevant city state, the game was almost over because of slow embarked speed. Also good luck getting that worker all the way back, it was pretty much sacrificing a worker to get the improvement. Attaching feitoria builds to a super fast explorer ship is an excellent way to cut down on needless micro and keep them relevant in the time they become available
You would know about Naval Ships, wouldn't you, Bart Roberts. ;) Anyway, that does sound tedious.

The father of my girlfriend is a Portuguese architect so I asked him what building the palace could be modeled after. His reponse: "They must have mixed several different architectual styles. I don't recognize the building."

It’s so sad looking through the youtube comments. People actually want zombies and fantasy bullfeathers and no one talks about the AI.

Youtube commenters are probably made of more casual players so things like game balance and better AI are probably not concerns of theirs. Same with zombies, they tend to be really popular regards of the amount of complaining anytime anything zombie-related is announced.

Top Bottom